Fuel gauge not reading correct.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamds86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Hello everybody...again lol. I just replaced the fuel tank straps on my 73 GMC K25 and filled the tank with gas. The needle only goes to 3/4 full, the wires in the sending unit were clean and had good connection. Is there somewhere else I should look on the truck that would cause the gauge to not read accurately? Thanx for your help.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Conduct these checks to see if the problem is with the gauge or the sender.

NOTE: These tests require disconnecting the gauge's sensing leg from the sender head. But, if the bed is installed and that makes the sender inaccessible, you can still do them. Trace the sender lead (tan I think) from the sender back towards the front of the truck. Locate a spot that will allow you to easily make a cut in the wire - and also splice it back together after you have fixed this. Try to make the cut in the wire as close as possible to the sender - to include as much of the sensing lead in the test as you can.

Disconnect the sensing leg from the terminal on the sender head (or cut the wire where accessible). Be sure the copper connection (or exposed conductors) can't come in contact with any ground point on the frame/body. Get out from under the truck - or have an assistant help- and turn the ignition switch to RUN. Observe the gas gauge (give it a few seconds) - it should quickly move to the far right position ("F").

Now check that the gauge can read the lower end of the scale. First make a good ground point on the frame - clean it right down to bright metal. Then either hold or clamp the terminal clip (or the cut and stripped wire) securely to the bright spot on the frame. While the wire is in good contact with the frame, have someone turn the key to RUN and check the gas gauge. This time, with a direct path to ground, the needle on the gauge should move all the way to the left ("E").

If the gauge reacts as described above for each test, you have isolated the problem to the sender or the sender's ground wire. However, in this case, you can disregard the sender ground lead. That's because the problem is: you are getting a lower than expected indication at the gauge. Since the lack of a ground in the sensing leg causes the gauge to read full high (and a poor ground causes a higher than expected reading), it is safe to assume that your ground is good. If it were bad, your gauge would be reading higher than expected.

That pretty much just leaves the sender assembly as the possible cause. Maybe the float isn't rising all the way up. Or the float is rising and the arm is moving but the wiper isn't making good contact with the variable resistor. You won't know until you pull the sender and inspect it. If you wanted to check the resistance across the sender; a GM sender for the years 1965-1997 has a variable resistance of 0-90 ohms. Meaning 0 ohms when the tank is empty and 90 ohms when full.

Last edited:

firebird

Reaction score
First Name
Brahm
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton
Engine Size
If it was working before something you have done has caused this. Its pretty simply to check the resistor like chengy says. Im going through a similar thing.

I don't mean to hijack. The resistor is not working on my sending unit, reads zero ohms all the time with float in any position. I took it apart and the wiper is shiny in there like its rubbing the resistor. I can't get a complete sending unit for a couple days, can I fix just the resistor and wiper? How would it fail?

firebird

Reaction score
First Name
Brahm
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton
Engine Size
Resistor was my problem new sending unit cured it.

Edit-Spectra fg05m sending unit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
di11ard