Fuel gauge reading past full

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwolff0820

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 V8
I’ve got an 83 C-10 and I’ve recently changed both tanks and sending units. Got them all installed and the gauge is reading at the 3:00 position. A lot of post say the sending unit is bad however I changed all parts so that shouldn’t be my issue. Both were grounded to the frame in the same location. Where should I start? Do the tanks need to be filled to “reset” the sending units or is there a wiring issue somewhere?

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
My fuel gauge is doing the same thing. Watching this thread.

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
if it looks like this, then your sender wire is grounding out somewhere. pink wire for later trucks and tan i belive for older trucks. quick easy way to check, run a wire from your 4 plug under the hood to the switching unit. if your gauge goes back to normal, start tracing your pink (or tan) wire to see where it's rubbing on something metal. the loom clamp was rubbing my pinkie and wore thru the insulation.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I may be wrong, but I believe 3 o'clock is an open circuit, while 9 o'clock is grounded out.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yes 3 o'clock is open circuit. Make sure the sending unit is plugged into the one wire. Make sure that the fuel tank has a good ground, there is a ground wire from the sending unit to ground, if it's broken or was left disconnected it won't work.

New should but doesn't always mean good.

IF the ground connection at the fuel tank is in good shape, and grounding the gauge wire results in a reading of E, then it's most certainly the sending unit.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This video explains how the fuel gauge and sending unit works and a little troubleshooting.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

bwolff0820

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 V8
Thanks for the replies. I will clean and re-ground the sending units this evening and see if anything changes.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In a dual tank setup the sender wire runs through the selector valve. Just something else to be aware of once you start troubleshooting where something could be wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-08-22 08-20-13.png
    Screenshot from 2023-08-22 08-20-13.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 59

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In a dual tank setup the sender wire runs through the selector valve. Just something else to be aware of once you start troubleshooting where something could be wrong.
Technically it depends on the year of the truck. By 82' yes they ran though the selector valve, earlier trucks the gauge wire went though the switch in the cab. It's not common for the valves to fail in that way, but if he grounds it out and his gauge reads E it's most certainly a sending unit or grounding issue, if he grounds it out and there is no gauge responce then it's something "up stream" from that.

bwolff0820

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 V8
Ok, got home and checked both grounds. Sanded where the grounds connected to make sure it was getting good ground and still reading 3 o’clock position. With the key of it will drop to about the 1:30-2 position. The transfer switch in the cab I believe it out. When I push it I don’t hear anything trying to switch over. Would a fuse or anything contribute to this?

Also trying chasing the pink wire down the frame. It runs from the selector valve on the passenger side over to the drivers and then goes into conduit until the front side of the firewall. I just don’t see how it could be getting shorted out under the frame. I’m about to pull the trigger on new dash switch and under truck selector valve just want to make sure it’s not something I’m missing

bwolff0820

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 V8
Also after putting new gas tanks and sending units in both sides truck won’t start. I can pull lines off pump into a gas can and truck fires instantly and runs. Truck sat for about 15 years prior to me getting it. Is there a process needed to prime it or just have to keep cranking and it will eventually pull. I’ve only got about 2/3 gallons in each tank in case I have to drop again. Not sure which tank it’s pulling from since can switch isn’t working so doing the same to both to try and figure it out

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Some questions that will help diagnose it.. Was it running and was the fuel gauge working before you changed tanks and sending units? Did you replace any hoses or lines when you replaced the tanks. Explain what you mean pull lines off pump. I'm assuming your fuel pump is mechanical.

I'm not real familiar with selector valve but others on this forum are.

Last edited:

bwolff0820

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 V8
Unfortunately I have no clue if the gauge worked or not. It was running when parked in 2004 and I pulled it from a barn in 2021. Both tanks had holes so I dropped them and replaced with new tanks and sending units. If I pull the fuel lines on the pump and that go from the tanks into the pump and put them into a can it will start and run. I’m not sure on mechanical pump as this is the first time ever doing something like this. I’m pretty mechanically inclined but never messed with anything like this before.

I changed the short rubber hoses that run from the sending unit to the steel lines. Those are the only ones I have changed.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
I'm watching this one now. I had both tanks working when I bought my truck nearly a year ago, then when one tank died on me I swear fuel went from one tank to the other because I had to switch back to the tank I wasn't using and it was full(not before I switched though!). At first I was all o er the place trying to figure out what was up thinking the selector allowed fuel to bleed from one tank in to the other... all kinds of responses and figuring out what to do next calculating the cost and time I might be able to spend on it...I am still driving around with the passenger side tank as my only tank. One day I will get my garage to diagnose maybe?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia