Front End Sheet Metal Assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Quick question: I am prepping to begin re-assembling my front sheet metal and was wondering in what order would the easiest / best way be? I figured I would start with the radiator support, then the fenders and then the inner fenders (?!)

Due to a rotted core support and inner fender from a leaking battery, it was easy to remove in no certain order. That was about 4 yrs ago too. Those are all replaced with clean originals and powder coated. Just trying to do this neat without scratching things up.

THX

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Imho, that will be the easiest method to get it all installed and lined up, without any scratching. You can install the entire assembly at once, but that requires help and heavier lifting. Just tighten down the radiator support mounts before trying to align the fenders with the doors.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Does any of the panels overlap the others so one should go in before the other?

Not really, other than it's way easier to install the radiator support before you hang the fenders, rather than after.

Installing the fender liners is usually easiest with the front wheels off.

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-5
Engine Size
They way I do mine is like you stated core support first, but I make sure it's squared to the fire wall on both sides. I also install the inner fender to the fenders then hang. I also use plenty of masking tape to protect the panted edges. The cheaper blue painters tape is what I normally use, it has a low tack and is easily removed.. The key is to make everything squared. It make alignment easier.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had intended on starting with the core support (was hoping that I could) just because if I can install the radiator, condenser, trans cooler and fans, thats alot of "big" boxes out of my way. Saw a video of a fella who used 2 larger bolts in the bottom of the core support so it would just sit upright in the mounts - then he turned it around 180* and installed everything, including wiring the fans and such at waist-chest level without having to contort or anything in his way. Once it was all assembled, he turned it back around correctly and bolted it down for good. Pretty slick.

Keith posted a list awhile ago of how they aligned the core support and hood latches at assembly....was going to go thataway as well.

Thanks fellas.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
The way we did it in the plant:

Radiator support is sitting on the frame rails, loose (flopping fore/aft).

Fenders are installed one at a time, with wheel liner/inner fender already installed.

After front end is on, install the hood. Scoot the radiator support cross car to fit the gaps.

Tighten everything down.

Did one a minute like that for about six years. I figure that's about 900,000 trucks.

K

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Some plants did "buck build" where the front end is assembled ahead of time and then brought to the line as a unit.

It really depended on what was en vogue at the time and what management wanted.

When I started at Flint: Line 1 was piecemeal, as I have described and Line 2 was buck built.

Same product, same assembly plant, same roof; two different processes.

K
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The way we did it in the plant:

Radiator support is sitting on the frame rails, loose (flopping fore/aft).

Fenders are installed one at a time, with wheel liner/inner fender already installed.

After front end is on, install the hood. Scoot the radiator support cross car to fit the gaps.

Tighten everything down.

Did one a minute like that for about six years. I figure that's about 900,000 trucks.

K
So the inner fenders were already attached to the frame or the fender? (sorry.....cant picture ATM where they attach).

THX!

JT58

Reaction score
First Name
JT
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I just sanded, refinished, patched and re-painted my inner fender liners and entire front end. The fender liners came off easily, I did them separately. Then I just bolted them back on. I sanded, masked, primed and painted everything else once the front fascia was off, exposing everything nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507