Front axle tube slipping out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Long Bed
Engine Size
More photos.

You must be registered for see images attach

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Curious about this , too.
Must have a leak as I don't remember seeing this much oil before, but you can see a shiny space on my 80 as well.

Britt

AlexK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Long Bed
Engine Size
Thanks for the post Britt.

On your photo:
I do notice the shinny space u mention on the tube and most importantly I do see what looks like a machined (lathe cut) surface and the "step" to the unmachined tube about 3/4" from the shinny space.
If you were to clean that tube with degreaser and a scotchbrite pad it could confirm that the extra machining on the axle tube is factory normal.

As for your leak, degreasing from the timming chain cover down could help you determine where it's coming from.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Thanks for the post Britt.

On your photo:
I do notice the shinny space u mention on the tube and most importantly I do see what looks like a machined (lathe cut) surface and the "step" to the unmachined tube about 3/4" from the shinny space.
If you were to clean that tube with degreaser and a scotchbrite pad it could confirm that the extra machining on the axle tube is factory normal.

As for your leak, degreasing from the timming chain cover down could help you determine where it's coming from.

Some more evidence that the relief cut is by design. These show my old truck (86 K20) and - although it is covered in POR-15 - the cut in the axle is fairly obvious. And it never had any problems:

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
You could measure to see how much wider the front axle is from the mounting surface compared to the rear axle mounting surface. It should come out to about 3 inches wider than the rear if I remember correctly.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
front axles are full floating no c-clips. the axle shaft actually moves in and out of the spider gear as the wheels are turned. the machined surface on the tube is normal many are like that. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL