Freeze 12?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bunkvegas

Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I got my freeze 12 at my local carquest store. They told me it's a direct replacement. Here is what the instructions say on the back of the freeze 12 can.

"Before using freeze 12 recover all residual R-12 in the A/C system. Replace refrigerant oil lost during recover process and install new service fittings. (#S19002 low side, #S19001- High side). Deep evacuate and recharge A/C system with 10% less Freeze 12 than the recommended R-12 Charge."

The threads on this can are not the same threads on your R-12 system they are a little larger. My carquest had a little adapter to go straight from the cans directly to the existing threads. One of the reasons the ports are different is for human error so we do not put the wrong refrigerant in. Same reason the low side and high side are different sizes. Never charge from the high side always charge from the low side.

My understanding is yes it is a direct drop in replacement for the R-12 but maybe what I was told and have read is completely wrong. Try your local auto store or you can order it online.

bunkvegas

Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Here is what I used and it worked great.

Attachments

• Freeze12.jpg
    Freeze12.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 104

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
How good the does freeze 12 work compared to R134a switch on R12 system?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This is very interesting, I didn't know Freeze 12 was a replacement for the R-12. :popcorn:

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Nitrogen? very interesting. I used it once @ high pressure to blow out a stuck orifice tube with some gentle heat.Didnot realize you could use it for flushing,but it makes senese.Thanks for the tip..

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Alot of good info has already been shared. But honestly it depends on which style compressor you have as to how good the R134a will work for you, If you have the older generator style compressor I would NOT reccomend using 134. You will either want to have a liceansed A/C Tech recharge your system OR use the substitute Freeze 12.

NEVER RECHARGE A SYSTEM WITH OUT PULLING A DEEP VACCUME. And dont waste your money buying the exspensive cans of freon that say they have the oil, and conditioner or the leak sealer togather.
ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR PROPERLY CHARGED this is easilly done by temperature testing using an infrared thermometer, I not gonna go in to detail how to do it but you can do a search online and come up with thise answares.

I dont honestly think that A/C service should be performed by just anyone, but if your dead set at doing it yourself then ask as many questions as you can no matter HOW stuiped you think the question is, theres alot of good information on the web that you can read to learn how to properly service your system, I would strongly suggest learning how the system works before you do anything, that way it will be easier for you to diagnose any problems you may find while recharging.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Alot of good info has already been shared. But honestly it depends on which style compressor you have as to how good the R134a will work for you, If you have the older generator style compressor I would NOT reccomend using 134. You will either want to have a liceansed A/C Tech recharge your system OR use the substitute Freeze 12.

NEVER RECHARGE A SYSTEM WITH OUT PULLING A DEEP VACCUME. And dont waste your money buying the exspensive cans of freon that say they have the oil, and conditioner or the leak sealer togather.
ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR PROPERLY CHARGED this is easilly done by temperature testing using an infrared thermometer, I not gonna go in to detail how to do it but you can do a search online and come up with thise answares.

I dont honestly think that A/C service should be performed by just anyone, but if your dead set at doing it yourself then ask as many questions as you can no matter HOW stuiped you think the question is, theres alot of good information on the web that you can read to learn how to properly service your system, I would strongly suggest learning how the system works before you do anything, that way it will be easier for you to diagnose any problems you may find while recharging.

Its on a 90 GMT400 3/4 ton truck.

bunkvegas

Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I have to agree with pops on the importance of pulling a deep vacuum, without doing it you will have other issues. I NEVER charge a system without first using nitrogen and the pulling a deep vacuum. The purpose of Nitrogen for one reason is just to make sure I have all my fittings tight and sealed before wasting time trying to pull a vacuum.

Here is a link that I found last night. From what I have read freeze 12 is basically a modified 134a type refrigerant. http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/snap/refrigerants/macssubs.html I'm going to do a little more research tonight on the frigc-fr12 because it looks like it uses less 134a.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
r409 is an option as a direct replacement for r12 after recovery. Cheaper than r12 and more efficient than r134. Buddy of mine owns a refrigeration company (30 years) and put it in his '90 Suburban. When he turns on the ac you can see frost coming out of the vents.

bunkvegas

Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I personally am not familiar with 409 so I don't have an opinion on it's use. Having said that epa has not approved 409 for use in vehicles to my knowledge.

"Many refrigerants, including R-401A (made by DuPont), R-401B (DuPont), R-409A (Elf Atochem), Care 30 (Calor Gas), Adak-29/Adak-12 (TACIP Int'l), MT-31 (Millenia Tech), and ES-12R (Intervest), have not been submitted for review in motor vehicle air conditioning, and it is therefore illegal to use these refrigerants in such systems as an alternative to CFC-12."

I copied this from the epa link I provided above. Do you know if he has a hard time with 409 during the real hot days with head pressure?????

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Do you know if he has a hard time with 409 during the real hot days with head pressure?????

Won't be able to ask him for a few days. I called him and found out he's on his way to see his dad who is on his death bed. Wasn't a good time to ask about refrigeration.

almorzuch

Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Truck Year
Truck Model
r1500
Engine Size
Freeze12 is flammable (propane). When you convert to 134a, use a red orifice tube from a ford pu. If you use the white or black, freon flows to fast to capture the heat. I have been dis-satisfied with my front ac for 15 years until I switched to the red one. Now my ac works at an idle in Florida.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceyman72