Freeze 12?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Freeze12 is flammable (propane). When you convert to 134a, use a red orifice tube from a ford pu. If you use the white or black, freon flows to fast to capture the heat. I have been dis-satisfied with my front ac for 15 years until I switched to the red one. Now my ac works at an idle in Florida.

Damn, that might be the issue I am dealing with in the 90* heat and humidity up here. I'm gonna have to remember that tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Arise from the dead old thread.....

I did the R134a retrofit on mine. Used a new OE receiver/dryer and orifice tube, Ester 100 synthetic oil, replaced all the o-rings with green viton versions, pulled a vacuum on it for a few hours and then ran in the R134a. It blows so cold on low (both front and rear units on low) that sometimes we have to blend in some heat.

I have used Freeze12 before. It's just R134a with propane mixed in. I stopped using it once I found out it was just R134a.

So far, in all the retrofits I've done, I've not seen the R134a provide less cooling. However, it does leak out easier because of it's smaller molecules. Thankfully cans are cheap and easy to add, vs. the kind of money and time it takes to rebuild an entire system with new hoses, new compressor, etc. in hopes of having a leak free system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare