Frankenstein 454 swap. Overheating at idle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Thanks for all the info. New pump should be here on Thursday. I'll update when I get her on and take her for a spin.

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Sad day. I did not do my homework properly. I chose to use a short configuration aluminium water pump (eddy 8854). I did this because the belt was riding on the very back edge of the pully with the long pump configuration. I miss measured. The offset of the pulley on the short pump makes it impossible to properly align. So I need a new pulley. Finding one with a 5/8th pilot that is smooth is proving challenging.

The next issue is that the home made bracket spacers and bolts will not work with the new pump.....

Think I'm going to break down and just buy a whole new serp kit. Likely going to send the pump back and go with a long configuration.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Sad day. I did not do my homework properly. I chose to use a short configuration aluminium water pump (eddy 8854). I did this because the belt was riding on the very back edge of the pully with the long pump configuration. I miss measured. The offset of the pulley on the short pump makes it impossible to properly align. So I need a new pulley. Finding one with a 5/8th pilot that is smooth is proving challenging.

The next issue is that the home made bracket spacers and bolts will not work with the new pump.....

Think I'm going to break down and just buy a whole new serp kit. Likely going to send the pump back and go with a long configuration.

Dude.... just go down to NAPA and get the pump with the part number I gave you. It is the correct pump for a BBC using a serpentine belt setup and will bolt right on. The factory serpentine belt setup wont work for you because you don't have an AC compressor and that is normally mounted high up on the drivers side with the alternator mounted high on the passenger side.

You could probably get the stock L29 serpentine belt brackets and maybe drill/tap a new hole in the driver bracket where the AC normally is to put a pulley instead. The stock brackets are cast iron and heavy as **** though.. just FYI.

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
I do have an AC compressor. But tbh I forgot you gave me that part number.

My set up is swapped. AC is high/mid on the passenger and the Alt is high on the driver.

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
In route to Napa....

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I do have an AC compressor. But tbh I forgot you gave me that part number.

My set up is swapped. AC is high/mid on the passenger and the Alt is high on the driver.

Yeah, I saw that after I posted. You would have to make an adapter at the very least though, as the pump is different(both size and mounting) and they are mounted on different sides than yours.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Wth is going on with all of the weird accessory locations lol

Suggestion: visit kwik performance, get adapters to run SBC serpetine stuff on a bbc... OR... source the correct brackets for your motor... just a thought :)

I guess it doesnt really matter in the big picture...

A shot of later gen bbc stuff on my personal motor....

Bottom right corner is for PS pump, the "idler" pulley is where AC would go, and obviously i do not have a waterpump pulley, i removed it and the fan so i could lower my big block in with ease.

You must be registered for see images attach

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Shitcan it! LS swap. And by the way, that's not a serp, that's a lasso! Giddy up :025:

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Lol guys....I swear to God I did not do this to this truck. My biggest mistake was not knowing what I was looking at when I bought it. But between this truck and my 55' Bel Air im learning a lot about turning wrenches.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Lol guys....I swear to God I did not do this to this truck. My biggest mistake was not knowing what I was looking at when I bought it. But between this truck and my 55' Bel Air im learning a lot about turning wrenches.

You might just try going to the local pick-a-part and find a GMT-400 truck with a TBI 454. I believe that's the serpentine system that Vince has shown on his. 96 and later Gen VI BBC have the system I mentioned with the alternator on the passenger side and AC compressor on top of the drivers side.

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Got the pump that Bextreme suggested. It has me on the road again. Been running at temp in stop-n-go conditions for about 30 min. Holding steady at 185.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Got the pump that Bextreme suggested. It has me on the road again. Been running at temp in stop-n-go conditions for about 30 min. Holding steady at 185.
Nice! Glad it worked out... now you just have to get that serpentine system straightened out... lol

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Spoke to soon. Pulled in the drive and she climbed up to 210. :(

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
She got up too 220 and I shut her down.

So....could the pully be too big? Whats the propper size pulley on a chevy serpentine system?

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Just a guess but, it sounds like your fans aren't moving enough air through the radiator to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell