Frame/Welding questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ty'1987

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The corrosion on the frame of my project truck is terrible. Rust has eaten the braces for the crossmembers and there are holes in the frame that I can see, I'm sure more that I can't.

Is it feasible to source or build a new frame? I am thinking of welding in some new crossmembers and braces, and plating over holes I find. Boxing the frame is also a thought I've had.

I should say I've never welded before; though I've studied up. With all that said..

How much would a new frame cost? What about the cost/ feasibility of a donor frame? Could I make a frame? How much would the materials and tools cost? What kinds of steel should I be making new pieces and patches out of? Can I buy new crossmembers and braces anywhere? And how should I clean the frame of rust(can't sandblast)

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would say in the long run it would be cheaper to get a good, used frame from another truck.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I would say in the long run it would be cheaper to get a good, used frame from another truck.

^^This. And before you go adding all your stuff on it, box it and beef it up with more x-members.

Gerks

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I know what I did when I tore mine down a few yrs ago, from the cab back was pretty thin with some holes, so I found a matching frame and just got the section I needed cuz front was wrecked and split it lenfth wise and welded it over top of mine.which to me stiffened up frame an took care of thin spots, but I am a welder by trade, but with a mig welder its not that hars to do once u practice with welder. Just my $.02 oh an some of the bolt holes needed reamed out to remount some things

Ty'1987

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks all. Right now, before bed and tired as hell, that project sounds like some real crazy talk. But I think a used frame would be a better base in the end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486