Frame Paint Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Any of our resident body techs know if there is an actual GM paint code for our frames ? 86 in particular ?

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-5
Engine Size
No actual code that I know of, but I always use a semi gloss chassis black. I normally get my paint from Tamco, and I used there chassis black which is a direct to metal paint. The only thing is, it's a little to shiny for me. They also have an underhood black which looks really good, not to shiny but not to flat. It's not a direct to metal, so you would have to prime before paint.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
No paint code, but GM used the same basic stuff for decades. I don't know about these days, but the color used to be commonly referred to as "Eggshell Black".

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Any of our resident body techs know if there is an actual GM paint code for our frames ? 86 in particular ?

No paint code, but GM used the same basic stuff for decades. I don't know about these days, but the color used to be commonly referred to as "Eggshell Black".
Used to be able to buy GM brand paint in ready to spray gallon cans for $20, it’s $100 on Amazon now.

Melrose T-Top Int. 1050104 GM Chassis Black Reconditioning Paint https://a.co/d/galFLFQ

I bought “hot rod black” urethane kit on amazon for my restoration and it has the same exact color and sheen as Satin Black VHT Roll Bar and Chassis paint. It’s no good for bare steel so I epoxied first, it was also $50 cheaper when I bought it.

Speedokote SMR-456/150 - Hot Rod Black Paint 2.8 voc, Satin 2K Urethane, SMR-456 4:1 Med Gallon Kit w/Act https://a.co/d/7G8VgjM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man