I need help choosing a route for restoring my frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old man Lucas

Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I’ve got a 79 frame that I would like to paint. I don’t know what route to take with it

Do I get it sand blasted? If so Is there any prep before I paint it.

Also what paint should I use. I’m thinking of using por-15 or sweet patina black out. Can’t decide on which one. If there a better one let me know.

should I use a wire wheel and get all of the flaky rust off then degrease it than paint.

Or is there any other ways of doing it but keep in mind I would like to keep the cost down as this is a high school project

Any help is appreciated

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I did a frame swap on an 80 last year and cleaned up the stripped down frame. Blasted it and then coated with epoxy. I did a round of washing with metal prep and then rinsing. It’s pretty cheap and kills any rust I might have missed when blasting.

On a budget, my hunch is you could wire wheel and degrease it real good then coat it. I have never used POR 15. I did mine in SPI epoxy and it came out pretty nice. Reality is you could get by with a lot cheaper on coatings. It’s a frame…. I did my 85 frame wirh krylon and it still looks great at almost 2 years parked outside. I was just under there today. Prep is more than half the game. Plant over grease and dirt with anything and it’s gonna come off.

You must be registered for see images attach

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
While I had the engine and trans out for my swap, I just used various wire wheels chucked in a drill to clean the frame. Then went back with some laquer thinner and a brush and rag to finish it off. Let it dry and shot it with VHT Chassis Black I got from the parts store. Still looks good 3 years later. I like this stuff cuz it's easy to touch up down the road

**edit** Forgot to add a picture

Last edited:

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
When we did thge frame up on ours we sanded/wire wheeled it then POR15 Metal Prep then POR15.

At the time (early 2020) it was about $1000 to have it blasted and powder coated and I wish we had done it that way just because all of the time we spent. But it gave me and my daughter a lot of time together so on that aspect it was well worth it.

If you use POR15 make sure to wear long sleeves, pants and gloves - that stuff takes FOREVER to come off.

Last edited:

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I wire wheeled, then used paint stripper attachment on angle grinder. After all that it and it was bare metal, I used KBS coatings https://www.kbs-coatings.com/frame-coater-kit.html similar to POR15, then topcoated it with VHT chassis black. Looking back, I would have just had it sand blasted and powder coated due to the huge amount of time and work it took. But it was rewarding to do myself I guess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad