For anyone thinking of swapping to TBI.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I actually just went ahead and dropped the pan trying not to make a mess and was doing pretty good for a min... then my brother tried taking off the front clip... but I think I'm just gonna separate the motor and trans and go for it... lol
take the front wheels off when you go to lift it, let the rotors sit on thin boards.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
WATT??? Taking off the front clip to pull a motor??? I've probably pulled as many motors as you've got hairs in your head and never even removed a grill or core support, EXCEPT on Vans, let alone the whole damn front clip. :rofl: WTF???

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
That's what I'm saying... lol step away to do a honey do and brother is trying to go wild...lol got him set straight and then had to go to work unexpectedly being on call and all... just gonna seperate them and carry on doesn't make sense to do all that extra work...lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hell dude, you're gonna home from work and find the doors in the bed of the truck. I had to take them off to get the trans linkage and gas pedal disconnected.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
He had the passenger door off and that fender loose for the most part... lol gonna make sure it's all tight and lined up... but I'm thinking when I'm done the burb will be a free for hauling if anyone wants it so anyone interested hit me up... all the body and fenders are rust free, axles are all good (stock unmolested) will need drive train and wiring harness for under the hood... good rolling parts truck

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds like all the parts are taken off just to get the motor out of it. :rofl: I thought I was kidding about taking the doors off.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
No he literally had that door off and me cursing him out... and him laughing his ass off

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
No he literally had that door off and me cursing him out... and him laughing his ass off

Brothers!...lol...

Mine has given me a good laugh a time or two. One in particular: We had pulled the engine from his wrecked '87, and after wrestling it up to garage from the steep grade of the driveway on the engine stand, he looked at the front of the engine, twisted it a little, looked again...lol...it wasn't appealing to his eye so I asked him if he wanted me to get the level out so it was level and plumb...lol...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
WATT??? Taking off the front clip to pull a motor??? I've probably pulled as many motors as you've got hairs in your head and never even removed a grill or core support, EXCEPT on Vans, let alone the whole damn front clip. :rofl: WTF???

I've read about this before. Apparently a lot of folks remove the clip so they don't have to lean over the fenders. Sounds like more work to me. Last time I didn't even remove the hood. The only time I would remove the clip is if some or all of it is getting replaced anyway.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
i've seen people remove the core support so they didn't have to lift it so high, but never the whole front clip on a truck. To me even removing the core support, wiring and lights and all that bs is more work. Yank it and roll. Me and my buddies swapped motors in a matter of an hour to an hour and half depending on how much of a hurry we were in. Of course that's with 2 guys that know how to and worked together often, and on basic no ******** motors and street/strip rides. No power steering to deal with, no AC, no smog **** etc. Basic, Fast and Easy.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Well if money was no problems it would have been a diesel with a turbo going in it instead... lol but I have to use what I have and I am handy with tools just not experienced... throwing in the mod for keeping the tbi it is a pretty good project for me... I just want it to be a killer daily driver... the wife says its uglier than the burb cause it looks to short... lol I told her trust me... I get this done it can be worth a lot more than what I paid for it... and not gonna sell it ever... may pass it on to my son when he's 16 if he wants it... lol

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Updated the build thread this morning... hope you all have a great day

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Did I really have to cut the wiring harness loose from main fuse block... it looks like it would have just plugged back into the main block under the hood on driver's side... was wondering if the fuse blocks were different? This is the kinda confusing part to me... and finding an under hood wiring diagram seems next to impossible... anyone got any clues to shoot me... lol
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Did I really have to cut the wiring harness loose from main fuse block... it looks like it would have just plugged back into the main block under the hood on driver's side... was wondering if the fuse blocks were different? This is the kinda confusing part to me... and finding an under hood wiring diagram seems next to impossible... anyone got any clues to shoot me... lol
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

They are completely different from any other year. I wanted to swap mine over completely from my 87', but I didn't feel like tearing the entire truck apart to do it, so I made my own little fuse block and what not and tied into any wires in the cab I needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels