For anyone thinking of swapping to TBI.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
If that has an ECM, Harness, and. a computer controlled q jet. Pleeeeeaase dont cut it out! Keep all the smoggy stuff too. I want to experiment with some chip tuning for those setups.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
The ecm and wiring is there... not sure how the wiring condition is as there is no motor in it when I got it... but if you want it I'm sure we can fiqure out a way for it to be yours... I'll even let you have the Carb that came with it... lol the PO says there is more parts he wants to give me too... so we'll see what else comes along... lol

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
I don't know that it looks all that rough really. Looks like an avg 25+ year old vehicle to me with mega potential. This is about where you should probably fire up a build thread starting with that pic there as the day you brought it home. The paint all looks to be there. With some of today's products and some work, I have a feeling you can make that paint look pretty damn good. Not like a brand new paint job, but look good anyway. Also, there is a way to bring that molding back to life too by cutting away the clean coat skin that's on it which is what is making it looking like hell. So don't tear that molding off. It can be revived too.
The reasons I say it's rough isn't so much the way it looks... there are a few things that I know I'm gonna fix but have no experience in messing with... but this will make me appreciate this truck even more when I get it done... and I agree will be an awesome rig when it's done... I'm so ready to drive it already but I have to take my time and go slow so I get it done right the first time.... lol

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
The reasons I say it's rough isn't so much the way it looks... there are a few things that I know I'm gonna fix but have no experience in messing with... but this will make me appreciate this truck even more when I get it done... and I agree will be an awesome rig when it's done... I'm so ready to drive it already but I have to take my time and go slow so I get it done right the first time.... lol

I'm with HotRod on this one, it has major potential for a 20+ year old vehicle. I like your anticipated approach, slow and steady.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
ty you all... can anyone tell me how many quarts of trans fluid I'll need after I drain it so I can pull engine and trans together?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
ty you all... can anyone tell me how many quarts of trans fluid I'll need after I drain it so I can pull engine and trans together?

I did a drain and fill on my th400 and that took almost 6 quarts. I would recommend buying a case and whatever you don't use you have in stock in case the trans needs a splash more, or if you do a drain/fill later down the road.

Edit: Of course the easiest way is use an empty gallon milk jug. Get a 4 cup measuring cup and start with 4 cups, pour it in the jug, use a sharpie and mark the 1 qt mark. Repeat with another 4 cups, mark the 2 qt mark. And continue until you get to the 4th quart; from there mark it in 1/4 qt increments until you have the whole 4quart capacity of the gallon jug marked.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think he's just talking about replacing what he's going to lose by tipping the trans. I guess I can't suggest using a slip plug and keep all the fluid in it. Since you won't have a slip yoke once you pull the Tcase off. Since you do have a Tcase, you could pull the trans and Tcase as a unit, then pull the motor by itself.
At any rate, if you bought that Super Tech Blue gallon Jug at Wally World for about $11, that should do it. You could also drop the pan slowly on one side and catch what comes out of the pan into a clean oil pan and reuse it, if it's a pretty color. As expensive as fluids are these days, I reuse all I can of trans fluid. If it's nice and red, (Not Maroon or Brown), I catch, using a funnel with a strainer, I pour it back into one of my empty Gallon ATF jugs that is marked 'USED". That's also what I use to mix with Acetone to make my penetrating oil out of.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I think he's just talking about replacing what he's going to lose by tipping the trans. I guess I can't suggest using a slip plug and keep all the fluid in it. Since you won't have a slip yoke once you pull the Tcase off. Since you do have a Tcase, you could pull the trans and Tcase as a unit, then pull the motor by itself.
At any rate, if you bought that Super Tech Blue gallon Jug at Wally World for about $11, that should do it. You could also drop the pan slowly on one side and catch what comes out of the pan into a clean oil pan and reuse it, if it's a pretty color. As expensive as fluids are these days, I reuse all I can of trans fluid. If it's nice and red, (Not Maroon or Brown), I catch, using a funnel with a strainer, I pour it back into one of my empty Gallon ATF jugs that is marked 'USED". That's also what I use to mix with Acetone to make my penetrating oil out of.

I figured that into the equation just didn't write it. Pour the trans fluid or let it drain from the tail shaft into an empty drain pan, and then use the milk jug trick to get the exact amount removed.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What is the ratio for the penetration oil?

Yep 50/50 mix. I usually use a pint of Acetone, and a Pint of clean used trans fluid and makes a 1qt bottle. The stuff works great on rust bolts, stuck cylinders, etc. It doesn't spray real well cuz it's a bit thick, but what's good about that, is when you pour it or brush in on something, like your U bolt nuts on an axle removal, the stuff is thick enough it just doesn't run off. It's pretty stays there and soaks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I figured that into the equation just didn't write it. Pour the trans fluid or let it drain from the tail shaft into an empty drain pan, and then use the milk jug trick to get the exact amount removed.

His situation, he isn't going to spill out of a tailshaft. He's just going to dump out the back of the trans case. Could be a bit messy.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
His situation, he isn't going to spill out of a tailshaft. He's just going to dump out the back of the trans case. Could be a bit messy.

That's actually what I meant, dumping out the back of the trans case. My thoughts didn't translate to my fingers as they typed...lol... I had to do that when I pulled my trans and bell housing, put the drain pan under it and let it catch the oil. But the 3-speed manual doesn't hold nearly as much gear oil as an automatic trans does ATF.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
I actually just went ahead and dropped the pan trying not to make a mess and was doing pretty good for a min... then my brother tried taking off the front clip... but I think I'm just gonna separate the motor and trans and go for it... lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay