For anyone thinking of swapping to TBI.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Well alrighty then glad I didn't just go and plug in a new harness and scratch my head wondering what I did wrong... do you have or can you make me a wiring diagram of what you did with yours so I kinda have a clue... a nut and bolt only go together one way but that is a **** load of wiring to figure out...lol and will I need my gauges from the burb to make this swap over right? Thanks for any help... I appreciate all of you guys and this has been a experience I have enjoyed even through the busted knuckles... lmao

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well alrighty then glad I didn't just go and plug in a new harness and scratch my head wondering what I did wrong... do you have or can you make me a wiring diagram of what you did with yours so I kinda have a clue... a nut and bolt only go together one way but that is a **** load of wiring to figure out...lol and will I need my gauges from the burb to make this swap over right? Thanks for any help... I appreciate all of you guys and this has been a experience I have enjoyed even through the busted knuckles... lmao

Hey Sam, you haven't removed any of the 84 harness yet, besides the Carb Computer Control harness...right?

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
The only part of the harness I removed was under the hood and the ecm... I haven't cut on it at all...

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
The only part of the harness I removed was under the hood and the ecm... I haven't cut on it at all...

I was thinking...If you want to USPS your TBI harness up to me, I can go through it and make it a stand alone setup for you.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
That would be awesome... I have to keep all the egr stuff on there right?... I could prabably sent the harness from the 84 with it and the Carb seeing as to how I don't need it... lol

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
That would be awesome... I have to keep all the egr stuff on there right?... I could prabably sent the harness from the 84 with it and the Carb seeing as to how I don't need it... lol

Yeah, that would be cool. That way, I can label it, and cut out the stuff you dont need from the 88. It would be benificial to keep egr. Keep it OEM, and you have less headaches. Then all you wouldnhave to do, is run the necessary wires under the dash for power, VSS, trans lockup, and park/neutral switch.
would be a good idea to use the 88 gauge cluster...too keepman eye on the engine miles, and the proper vss is already in it.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Cool that's a direct swap over too so not a big deal... what do I do with that open spot where the harness use to plug in?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
you mean on the drivers side of the 84? The one that goes to the fuse box?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Are you saying you have an underhood harness for an 84 Carbed motor you won't need?
Anyone who come across that and not going to use it, I can put it to use. I'd imagine 84-86 is about what I"m looking for. I have that 85 C20 Cab. The guy was going to junk the truck so the guy who pulled the motor cut the harness at the firewall and kept everything connected. Then I bought the truck and will need a haress from behind the fuse block to the underhood stuff like Starter, Alternator, Guages etc.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Are you saying you have an underhood harness for an 84 Carbed motor you won't need?
Anyone who come across that and not going to use it, I can put it to use. I'd imagine 84-86 is about what I"m looking for. I have that 85 C20 Cab. The guy was going to junk the truck so the guy who pulled the motor cut the harness at the firewall and kept everything connected. Then I bought the truck and will need a haress from behind the fuse block to the underhood stuff like Starter, Alternator, Guages etc.

its the ccc engine harness.
Stand alone from the cab harness.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Cool that's a direct swap over too so not a big deal... what do I do with that open spot where the harness use to plug in?

Actually....could you pull the 84 cluster out and snap a pic of the back of it? may have the proper VSS already...especially if it had cruise.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Actually....could you pull the 84 cluster out and snap a pic of the back of it? may have the proper VSS already...especially if it had cruise.

Yarp. My 84' with cruise had the slot there. I just used the VSS/DRAC from my 87' to feed both cruise and the ECM, though I haven't gotten cruise working yet (need to troubleshoot, might be the stalk).

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Cool I will pull out the cluster and snap some shots... will try to do this tomorrow morning

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Yeah that one that goes to the fuse block... lol do I connect anything there or just cover it up?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yeah that one that goes to the fuse block... lol do I connect anything there or just cover it up?

Just plug the 84 harness back in, you will be using it...we are just going to add EFI with its own fuses in the harness. you will be using the 84 starter and alternator wiring, but you can swap the plugs from the 88 harness to use the 88 alternator.
Does the 88 engine use a serpentine, and drivers side alternator?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67