Flywheel Replacement Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeCapolunghi

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
V8 5.7 350
So yesterday I was getting ready to leave work and i turn the key and it mad ethat horrible cranking noise :yucky: thought it could ahve been my starter so I whacked on it a little (sometimes this works) and still it made the cranking noise. It eventually started and I'm thinking I may have a chipped tooth on the flywheel. Being my truck is 4X4 its even more of a hassle to replace the flywheel. Do any of yall have any tips or advice or steps for going about doing this procedure? Thanks!

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Check the starter first, see if the teeth are chipped on the pinion gear. If it is the flywheel, you'll have to remove both driveshafts and take out the bellhousing bolts (with a couple jacks inder the trans/t-case of course) take loose the t-case adapter from the crossmember, move the trans/t-case back far enough to get in there to take out the flywheel (or flexplate, depending on standard or auto trans). Torque conver or clutch has to be removed of course but before doing all this I would take a flashlight and screwdriver and turn the flywheel and verify you have a bad place on the flywheel. It very well could be just the starter.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Been there done that PO of my truck left the starter loose (thanbks *******) and chewed the teeth completely off the flywheel. Had to remove it all and put a new flywheel and clutch and starter in. Atleast i got the truck for 300 less then he was asking because of it.

swagger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM-465/NP-205
Sounds like the bendix isnt kicking out all the way or the starter is loose, hence the grinding noise. replace the bendix or starter and hopely the flywheel is ok.
I have replaced the flywheel before Like C4 said, cept I used 8" long bolts in the bellhousing and slid the hole mess back using a rachet strap (on a automatic truck)

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Sounds like the bendix isnt kicking out all the way or the starter is loose, hence the grinding noise. replace the bendix or starter and hopely the flywheel is ok.
I have replaced the flywheel before Like C4 said, cept I used 8" long bolts in the bellhousing and slid the hole mess back using a rachet strap (on a automatic truck)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This, But i would defintly pull the starter and inspect each tooth on the flywheel/Flexplate before i replaced anything

swagger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM-465/NP-205
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This, But i would defintly pull the starter and inspect each tooth on the flywheel/Flexplate before i replaced anything

That goes without saying, remove the inspection cover

swagger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM-465/NP-205
Joe,