Engine mount replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I'm looking to kill some of the NVH in my 87 (noise vibration and harshness). It occurred to me that it probably has the stock engine mounts. Figured I'd better stop by and ask if it's a hard job to replace them. And what the procedure is. I read another thread saying you only replace one at a time. There must be some other mount for the transmission which would also transmit vibration. So I'd need to purchase 3 mounts in total?

I will of course inspect everything first. But is it easy to tell if the rubber is dead?

Thanks!

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
99 percent of the stuff you buy is not genuine GM. The parts are just copies,some better than others. If it doesn't say ac/delco ,GM ,Delphi it's just another aftermarket part. There was brand called O.E. for a while,sneaky bastards.

come2elmo

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
I just replaced mine today with some 10$ ones off Amazon. Did notice they didn’t have a metal tube inside them like the 45 year old ones I pulled. Will see how they last. they didn’t look all that different from the pricey ones Easy enough to replace if they crap out

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I just replaced mine today with some 10$ ones off Amazon. Did notice they didn’t have a metal tube inside them like the 45 year old ones I pulled. Will see how they last. they didn’t look all that different from the pricey ones Easy enough to replace if they crap out

The ones on Rockauto are all in the $10 range. Then for the fake GM one it (but has an AC Delco sticker) jumps up to $90. Quite a price jump for solid metal with a chunk of rubber.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I went nuts sourcing parts when stabbing in the engine back into the wife's '04 Burban. Went to the dealer for some stuff. One of the sensors was made in Serbia, but the thermostat housing was made in Israel. Getting GOOD parts is just a chore these days, and really a total shot in the dark.

For a lot of stuff, I try to just buy it locally, from whatever parts store. At least if I have a failure later on, or it doesn't work/fit, I can complain in person. lol I'm supporting a local job too, even if it's just the parts runners/counter clerk. Something simple like an engine mount..... for sure you should be able to get that local. Might even get lucky, and the parts guy might know which parts they've had issues with and which are better.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I went nuts sourcing parts when stabbing in the engine back into the wife's '04 Burban. Went to the dealer for some stuff. One of the sensors was made in Serbia, but the thermostat housing was made in Israel. Getting GOOD parts is just a chore these days, and really a total shot in the dark.

For a lot of stuff, I try to just buy it locally, from whatever parts store. At least if I have a failure later on, or it doesn't work/fit, I can complain in person. lol I'm supporting a local job too, even if it's just the parts runners/counter clerk. Something simple like an engine mount..... for sure you should be able to get that local. Might even get lucky, and the parts guy might know which parts they've had issues with and which are better.

Typically Rockauto has reliable brands. Imo they're the go-to for real parts from a real supplier who cares about their reputation to the normal degree. Unfortunately that has become a problem. As many here have said, much cheaper parts can be had on amazon, but they're fakes. Claiming to be the real thing.

Magna86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Magna86
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Chevy 350
Buy the anchor set off rockauto and dont over think it. Yes 3 mounts in total. The transmission mount is the easiest. The others you will probably need a helper to break the bolts loose as you hold the nuts with a wrench. The passenger side is a pain with the fuel lines going through where you have to get to the nuts. Need a jack with a piece of wood to lift the engine which helps get the bolts out of the mounts.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Typically Rockauto has reliable brands. Imo they're the go-to for real parts from a real supplier who cares about their reputation to the normal degree. Unfortunately that has become a problem. As many here have said, much cheaper parts can be had on amazon, but they're fakes. Claiming to be the real thing.
B.S. they are a selling platform kinda like eBay. They own nothing,they handle nothing and if your lucky you get something decent,if you don't then there's a 50/50 chance you eat the loss. A lot of the inventory is close out/ old stock like my universal electric fuel pump with lifetime warranty. Except it was old and not ethanol compatible it failed inside of 2 weeks,Airtex wouldn't warranty it because Rockauto is not an Airtex distributor,that purchase had no more credibility than a garage sale purchase as far as airtex was concerened.Rockauto wouldn't warranty it because wrong application? On a universal pump? Airtex recommended same pump number,current build date,buy from Summit( an Airtex Distributor) problem solved and still going strong. Had to do a credit card charge back against Rockauto.

Last edited:

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Of course it's much easier with the engine out......
I ordered my mounts from Western Chassis when I ordered some chassis parts.
I also filled the empty spaces in the mounts with 3M 8609 black urethane.
Figured it will take out some vibration.
Before and after photos

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The ones on Rockauto are all in the $10 range. Then for the fake GM one it (but has an AC Delco sticker) jumps up to $90. Quite a price jump for solid metal with a chunk of rubber.
The 2292's are the standard SBC motor mount. I have a set of Pioneer or Anchor ones on mine for about 3 years now and they are still going strong. Generally they will last forever as long as they don't get constantly sprayed with too much oil. It's a stupid easy thing to change, so in my opinion it's pointless to spend $90 when the $10 part is likely to be just as good. It's probably a 1 hour job to do all of the mounts, so even if you have to put a $10 mount on there every couple years, it is still worth it.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Also, just wanted to add that while the 2292's are standard for all SBC engines, the transmission mount will be specific to the year range, transmission type, and whether it is 4wd or 2wd. For instance, a 2wd TH400 will use a different mount than a 4wd TH400, and a 73-84 4wd will use a different mount setup than a 84-91 4wd will. My 1980 K25 with a TH400/NP205 actually uses 2x ea of two different rubber pieces that sandwich the crossmember and then have two big bolts that go through the small rubber piece, through the crossmember, then through a bigger rubber piece that straddles the crossmember, then threads into the bottom of the figure 8 transfer case adapter.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Buy the anchor set off rockauto and dont over think it. Yes 3 mounts in total. The transmission mount is the easiest. The others you will probably need a helper to break the bolts loose as you hold the nuts with a wrench. The passenger side is a pain with the fuel lines going through where you have to get to the nuts. Need a jack with a piece of wood to lift the engine which helps get the bolts out of the mounts.

I've heard of people using a 2x4 between the frame and the exhaust manifold, when jacking from the oil pan wouldn't work.

B.S. they are a selling platform kinda like eBay. They own nothing,they handle nothing and if your lucky you get something decent,if you don't then there's a 50/50 chance you eat the loss. A lot of the inventory is close out/ old stock like my universal electric fuel pump with lifetime warranty. Except it was old and not ethanol compatible it failed inside of 2 weeks,Airtex wouldn't warranty it because Rockauto is not an Airtex distributor,that purchase had no more credibility than a garage sale purchase as far as airtex was concerened.Rockauto wouldn't warranty it because wrong application? On a universal pump? Airtex recommended same pump number,current build date,buy from Summit( an Airtex Distributor) problem solved and still going strong. Had to do a credit card charge back against Rockauto.

My experience has been the opposite. Over the past 10 years I've ordered a ton of parts from them and I've had to send things back to them maybe 4 times. Each time it was convenient enough. Granted I wouldn't buy from their "economy" section, but every time I've questioned a brand and looked it up, it has turned out to be a real brand that people trust and recommend. Never heard of anyone getting a fake part from rockauto. And if you buy on closeout/clearance it does say those are non-refundable. As for owning nothing, most places like that don't "own" anything, I don't think anyone would think that Rockauto owns AC Delco for example. (which they sell)

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've heard of people using a 2x4 between the frame and the exhaust manifold, when jacking from the oil pan wouldn't work.

My experience has been the opposite. Over the past 10 years I've ordered a ton of parts from them and I've had to send things back to them maybe 4 times. Each time it was convenient enough. Granted I wouldn't buy from their "economy" section, but every time I've questioned a brand and looked it up, it has turned out to be a real brand that people trust and recommend. Never heard of anyone getting a fake part from rockauto. And if you buy on closeout/clearance it does say those are non-refundable. As for owning nothing, most places like that don't "own" anything, I don't think anyone would think that Rockauto owns AC Delco for example. (which they sell)
They don't own any parts. They don't own any warehouses. They never even see the parts.They are just a middleman for whoever is selling whatever, whether its as represented or not.I didn't buy close out and thought I was buying the same thing I would buy anywhere else. Until there was a problem. Check BBB I'm not the only unhappy one. No I wouldn't think they would own delco,ngk, Etc. Etc I did expect they owned and shipped the parts they sold,and got them through normal channels,like a real deal parts supplier. Keeping quality,accuracy,shipping times and warranty issues in check. Funny thing about the pic below. My search criteria was " phony gm motormounts" no reference to any supplier. This was the first thing that popped up. .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-11-20_205847.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-20_205847.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
The 2292's are the standard SBC motor mount. I have a set of Pioneer or Anchor ones on mine for about 3 years now and they are still going strong. Generally they will last forever as long as they don't get constantly sprayed with too much oil. It's a stupid easy thing to change, so in my opinion it's pointless to spend $90 when the $10 part is likely to be just as good. It's probably a 1 hour job to do all of the mounts, so even if you have to put a $10 mount on there every couple years, it is still worth it.

Did you notice any reduction in vibration or noise immediately after you changed them? And if so, how long did the improved condition last?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad