Flip up wipers arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BJedi76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
B.J.
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500 4x4 SWB
Engine Size
305”
Our square body wipers don’t flip up so you can clean the windshield. You can only raise them a few inches WHILE you are cleaning the windshield or removing snow/ice.

Anyone know if there are alternative (or aftermarket) wiper arms that will fit, which flup up and stay up until you put em back down?

It is common here, to just leave them flipped up while it’s snowing/icing, until AFTER you clear the snow &/or ice, so they don’t stick to the windshield or accidentally knock the blades off trying to clear snow.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
On some wiper arms there is a little tab that prevents the arm from moving all the way up. Grind off that tab and they should stay up.

mda

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
I was really interested in the same thing and spent a day at the junkyard and found wipers from a 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 van. I had to grind a little of the wiper on the driver side only to keep it from hitting/rubbing on the cowl. Works great for cleaning the window.
You must be registered for see images attach

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did the GMT400 wiper arms flip up? IIRC someone here swapped them out for the normal (hook, not pin) wipers.

This would be one of those standard swap/upgrades like the Jeep steering shaft if we could narrow down year/model to swap.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Did the GMT400 wiper arms flip up? IIRC someone here swapped them out for the normal (hook, not pin) wipers.

This would be one of those standard swap/upgrades like the Jeep steering shaft if we could narrow down year/model to swap.
I have been looking for the same solution,My 89 chevy has flip up wipers but the wiper arm is a lot longer than those on my 87 gmc. sure would be handy to find a good swap

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I was really interested in the same thing and spent a day at the junkyard and found wipers from a 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 van. I had to grind a little of the wiper on the driver side only to keep it from hitting/rubbing on the cowl. Works great for cleaning the window.
what was the length of the arm from the hook to the splined shaft on the cowl??

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

GMT 400 wipers are longer and the later year ones are J hook too

OBS Ford Ones are very similar size but the knurl is different, I cant remember if the ford post is larger or if it was smaller. I neeed to buy a tool to remove mine since I was short sighted in using thread lock to help keep it retained* the wiper arm wasnt super tight fitting because the post has slighlty sheared it a bit, cleaned out the post and I used some to tighten it. RIP)

I do believe the ford ones may apply more pressure, and thus may need spring adjustment to not be too tight on the windshield of a square, I think. also there is my gmt 400, 96. j hook and flip up. but they are just too darn long.

The Ford ones, are obviously longer, but if on a GM windshield, that length could possibly be taken up by the adapter depending on the wiper arm, some hook into a plastic body that connects to a wiper, if that was set back to not be so "center" or some other creative measure, things make work nicely. Also the square is a pic of the 84+ wet arm wiper(without the wet arm hose and sprayer) which uses a pin style hookup and those are 18 inch wipers. they werent the ones I finalized with they were actually off the ford, but GM called for 16s on squares I think.
A 16 may clear nicely with ford arm, the pressure being my concern

Also I just typed all of this to remember the OBS ford arm does not flip up.

**** o_O:eek::banghead::angry94::sorry:

Last edited:

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Someone on here posted the PN for a later arm that fit and iirc, it was the same for both sides. Rock carried it too. I may even have it - my mind is soup so dont remember.

When the weather breaks I had planned on taking one of my wiper arms to the JY and see what I could find thats close. Going to get rid of the dribbling hoses they use for washer jets too.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
DORMAN 42631 is for a Jeep i think, minor modifications allow it to use a j hook and someone used 18 inch wipers and they worked ok

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Someone on here posted the PN for a later arm that fit and iirc, it was the same for both sides. Rock carried it too. I may even have it - my mind is soup so dont remember.

When the weather breaks I had planned on taking one of my wiper arms to the JY and see what I could find thats close. Going to get rid of the dribbling hoses they use for washer jets too.
is the dribbling worse on one side?

emoze

Reaction score
First Name
lary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
DORMAN 42631 is for a Jeep i think, minor modifications allow it to use a j hook and someone used 18 inch wipers and they worked ok
Dorman 42631 is Ford - picture shows spline type but spec says splines+flange nut - J-hook - Length: 21.75 IN

My '84 C-20 arm is only 15" - interesting Dorman does not list an arm for it

Last edited:

emoze

Reaction score
First Name
lary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I was really interested in the same thing and spent a day at the junkyard and found wipers from a 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 van.

Dorman 42886 is the number all Dodge '97-'02 trucks; 28.125"
My '84 C-20 arm is only 15"

Last edited:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I do believe the ford ones may apply more pressure, and thus may need spring adjustment to not be too tight on the windshield of a square, I think. also there is my gmt 400, 96. j hook and flip up. but they are just too darn long.
The Fords are fitted with longer wiper blades, as are the GMT400s. The spring is set to apply a certain amount of pressure* per inch in length of blade. Too little pressure the blades will float in the wind at speed. Too much pressure the blades could wear the glass. Also too much pressure adds more load to the wiper motor and linkage.

So if you use a wiper arm that was designed for a much longer blade and run it with a shorter blade you may have some problems. If you were able to lessen the spring tension, all would be good.

* I did have this number at some point, ounces or pounds per inch. Brain doesn't remember.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The Fords are fitted with longer wiper blades, as are the GMT400s. The spring is set to apply a certain amount of pressure* per inch in length of blade. Too little pressure the blades will float in the wind at speed. Too much pressure the blades could wear the glass. Also too much pressure adds more load to the wiper motor and linkage.

So if you use a wiper arm that was designed for a much longer blade and run it with a shorter blade you may have some problems. If you were able to lessen the spring tension, all would be good.

* I did have this number at some point, ounces or pounds per inch. Brain doesn't remember.
yEAH great point I didnt think about the interaction with a shorter blade than it was originally(plus the attack angle) i know for a lot of people no adjustments to the wiper arm means slower than turtle wiper until the electrical is good. no idea then

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224