Flex plate questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turt13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Damn it. it won't let me upload a video. Saying it's to large.
Thatd save me some time trying to explain what's happening.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Upload it to you tube and link it here.

Those "grinded off humps" are clearances for internal pieces, ignore them.
That's a good transmission.

That first post was pretty good l, you made a rhyme and everything that time.

Uumm if your balancer is separating you should replace it and it forces the question if that is the cause or an effect.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
EZ out is the last option not the first, when I worked at the machine shop that was 1 of the most common PITA repairs we got a least 1 a week.
You drill a hole crooked and off center and now you snap off an EZ out in this crooked hole which I then have to get out the broken EZ out, and then try to redriill your crooked off center hole and retap it. Try walking the bolts backwards with a punch, no dice can you weld a flat washer and a nut to the offending bolt and back it out?Can't do that? Well.

Drill it on center and straight,drill a pilot hole and then proper size hole as indicated on your tap. Now if you are lucky,you can collapse the threads in with a punch and pull them out.None of that worked well you have a proper size hole in the proper location now tap the hole slow and careful.

Last edited:

Turt13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
EZ out is the last option not the first, when I worked at the machine shop that was 1 of the most common PITA repairs we got a least 1 a week.
You drill a hole crooked and off center and now you snap off an EZ out in this crooked hole which I then have to get out the broken rd out, and then try to redriill your crooked off center hole and retap it. Try walking the bolts backwards with a punch, no dice can you weld a flat washer and a nut to the offending bolt nd back it out? Drill bit on center and straight drill a pilot hole and then proper size hole as indicated on your tap. Now you can collapse the threads in with a punch and pull them out.None of that worked well you have the proper size hole in the proper location tap the hole slow and careful.
One bolt for sure had a collar, so it's in there pretty far. And my welder is 6+hrs away. Tried walking It out with a round chissle and hammer, no luck. I researched all about removing bolts, and the main issue I am having is gonna be keeping everything square while drilling bc of clearance. Or remove the transmission, which requires relying on other people for a level spot, and a few tools. Not having much luck with that. Of course. And if I'm pulling trans for those, imma have a flex plate handy just cause. If I ever get that far...

Turt13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Upload it to you tube and link it here.

Those "grinded off humps" are clearances for internal pieces, ignore them.
That's a good transmission.

That first post was pretty good l, you made a rhyme and everything that time.

Uumm if your balancer is separating you should replace it and it forces the question if that is the cause or an effect.
I've been asking myself the same question. But if I replaced the balance and plate, I bet she'd run like a top. Shes off balance on at least one side if not both. I bet imma end up doing both asap. And if that doesn't help my problems at least a little, then shes gonna turn into a cheap thrill for someone else, or scrap yard material.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Agreed. Replace the starter and shim it properly, then ride off into the sunset.
Let's ride into the sunset together
Stirrup to stirrup, side by side
When the day is through, I'll be here with you
Into the sunset we will ride

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Damnit!

Are you soaking them broken bolts yet?
With the PB or somethin?

Wait wait wait wait.

You runnin a 400?

I broke a 400 flexplate pretty easy I think from spinnin it too high.
You with the forward to reverse or wtfe.
How the

U got a 400/400?
For real?

Pix!

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Damnit!

Are you soaking them broken bolts yet?
With the PB or somethin?

Wait wait wait wait.

You runnin a 400?

I broke a 400 flexplate pretty easy I think from spinnin it too high.
You with the forward to reverse or wtfe.
How the

U got a 400/400?
For real?

Pix!
he was talking about my 400 from another thread, the OP has a 350 i believe and I have a 400, but it originally mated to a th350 which is still in the truck it came out of

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
I've been asking myself the same question. But if I replaced the balance and plate, I bet she'd run like a top. Shes off balance on at least one side if not both. I bet imma end up doing both asap. And if that doesn't help my problems at least a little, then shes gonna turn into a cheap thrill for someone else, or scrap yard material.
Think you are making more work for yourself than necessary by messing with the flex plate. Sure it's a little chewed up from the starter not mating properly but it's not missing a bunch of teeth or anything.

I've seen them with chunks out of teeth and missing teeth still working fine. When it's missing a couple teeth in a row making a dead zone is when it's time to do @Salty Crusty super fun sounding procedure. o_O

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
If you like 400s, well, I got a 2 speed powerglide with your name on it rusty

Mmmmmmmmmm powerglide...you know me so well.

Mmmmmmmm ive wanted a powerglide for a long damned time.

Wish I had one in the Blazer for sure!

AND the MonteCarlo.

:uhoh2:

Speaking of, i've got to run the hole in my pocket to the NEW mechanic for the AC test.

AC test?
Yep.
:shakehead:

Turt13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm riding off into the sunset with your 400 Small Block
So, I planned on playing a game, post a picture and see who caught on to why I'm having issues. But before I could have any fun, I log on and see you didn't just catch on, but you nailed it on the head. What took me 2 starters and a couple weeks, some elbow grease and a tad dash of up close and personal time with this truck,(don't forget a thousand.. ohhhhhh...that's why moment s) you calmly threw out the piece of information I needed like it was common knowledge.
Yes, it's a 400. With a 400.
But wait. I just finally figured out something monumental about this truck and so many things clicked.
Here's the pic I was gonna share
You must be registered for see images attach

And that is just the top of the iceberg.
Being a 400, the balance depends on the plate and balancer even more so, and they are unique to the 400, from what I've read.
Guess I was right about possibly needing a balancer and plate. Beginers luck. But I woulda ordered the wrong ones if I didn't lose the starter again today.
So, this truck has a weird story, but Idk any of it...well I'd have to start a whole thread on that whole topic.
P.o. has to be laughing or he clueless. I doubt the later, dispute what he says. ("Hasnt been changed that I know of, for sure not the past 5 years I had it..)
Which truck is he talking about I wonder. The one with the vin, or the frame.
So many clues, so glad i am starting to figure out what really is going here.
And man, I was really starting to doubt myself as any kind of mechanic/car guy.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude. The starter is specific to a 400 also. Youve installed it crooked with a 350 starter and THAT is why the flywheel chewed up.
**** your starter shims.

Good job, it's all downhill from here - you've fixed it. :waytogo:
We'll make a wrench outta you yet!

Yeah yeah...it may be in a hundred pieces right now BUT, youre gonna fix it when it's not.

Mother ****** gonna fly back together now...but youre gonna have to wrassle the transmission. :(

Better get some sleep pal, rest easy..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man