Flex plate questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Balancer is different, too. That's an easier place to look.
Good on you both ways - that's a great engine and you got 'er fixed!!!
Buy yourself a beer and then another one or two...

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude gots a 509 block and dont even know it...amazing luck and a turn of good fortune. The Squarebody gods have bestowed a gift upon thee!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'm. betting no working A.C. , the dust cover is already off the transmission, 2 bell housing bolts have kindly removed themselves from the equation.So you are 3 converter bolts 4 bellhousing bolts 2 motor mount bolts from having the engine out.Then you can remove your broken bolts, change your flex plate and balancer, fix all your oil leaks and such and make sure you don't have missing bellhousing dowels.Pulling a small block and leaving the transmission and transfer case in the truck is way less work than pulling the transfer case and transmission.Thats my opinion.I'd leave the headers and the power steering pump in the truck.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
He's got a great point.
PLUS a 509 block is worth putting ten times that much work into.

Worth 10 times more work.

I'm with Rick and I too think you should pull the engine and do it right.

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
You're also a pair of Vortec heads and an intake away from picking up a good bit of power over the smoggers in it now!

Watch me spend your money....start with looking up the story about "The Impersonator", a sbc400 build with said vortec heads. Size of a smallblock with the torque of a big block.

Turt13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok, I'm having issues.
I'm so ******* sick of this starting problem.
But first, I am in agreement with you guys. I may have gotten lucky with a good block that has potential. And I would love to be back with my tools and welder and tear her down and put it back together with a couple mods, learn and have fun along the way. Have a real project for once. Not a daily-project.
But, that's not an option right now. So, that being so,
There is one thing that is a requirement, as a daily. It can have a list of issues, honestly. Im pretty tolerable. But. The one things that's absolutely necessary,
it has to fkn start.
I'm have the flexplate, was going to put it in yesterday.
I keep getting the starter in there, and shimmed correctly. Itll start without a problem, no wine or grind. Then a day or two later, she grinds like a mf. And off I go reshimming.
So, before I could get the truck to my buddies shop, I had to reshim the starter and even smack it before it even tried starting. Took a few adjustments on shims, but got it to start with zero noise. Put everything back together, still not a lick of noise. Actually sounded better then i remember it ever sounding.
Got to my buddies shop. After trying for two weeks. Ended up having to start it a couple more times, still sounded wonderful.
So much so, in fact, that it made us question weather it needed anything, I started it a handful of times, sounded great.
Well, we attempted to pull the drivetrain back. We didnt for a few reasons, didnt even get close to that. but instead got a bolt in for the tranny, one was missing on the bottommost location, driver side. Tried to drill out the other, support on passenger side that is broke, got a little ways and threw in the towel. Rather have to pull the motor or tranny to do it right then try now and making it worse. Greased all the zerts I could find while I was down there.
Put it all back together, inspection cover, two supports that bolt to that, trans lines, (which almost driped nothing out, is that normal?) the support bar for the t case, front driveshaft, and that's all I touched.
Started it, she sounded like it skipped.
Put tools away, started it to leave, and grinded and clunked but started.
Had to start it to give my father in law a ride to work. He's a firefighter for the airbase, his jeep threw a oil cooler again, the 'hooptie' wouldn't start, and then after being woke up and unexpectedly asked for a ride,I tried to start the truck. 3xs. Grinded and skipped. Clunked and wined.
Stopped. She wasn't gonna start. He had to walk.
Wtf.
Why does it seem fine one day,and then by the next day, it sounds like grinder.
Every time, good one day, leaves you stranded the next. Then off to Reshim. Repeat.
What would cause this?
I'm so sick of this. Working on this starter situation everyday. Up down up down.
At least if it was a manual we could start it, parks on a hill even.
So I'ls that the right starter?
I was supposed to go home, do a timing belt and control arms on the beemer Tuesday, and get it going again, until father's in law jeep decided to dump its oil out on the driveway and I haven't been able to get this truck even starting, let alone running well enough, to trust it to leave my lady 6hrs away with it for a week.
I'd be out there today working on it, but I'm just so tired of trying, and failing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB