Factory hood stripes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Depends on the truck. Buddy on the 400/OBS forum has a '97 ex cab short bed Silverado, white with black Chevelle style stripes on the hood. Looks great. He didn't have them put on the gate though because of the Silverado banner trim(which he polished and repainted the letters black).

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
If properly done they look okay sometimes. Not for me but everybody likes something different.

You must be registered for see images attach

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Someone who has sense... lol.

Yeah nature did it, same way it rotted the steps to my porch, but I don't see anyone calling that unique or beautiful.

Rust just looks crappy and old.

Though I respect your truck is solid and cool and can't wait to see what comes from it. But yeah "patina" is a stupid excuse of trying to pat ones self on the back for driving old junk. Just admit you can't afford a repaint, nothing to pretend you like lolol
It’s true, paint and bodywork is expensive. A lot of people can’t afford it and it shows, unfortunately. It’s a hard lesson I’ve learned when guys swear that “I can do it cheaper and it’ll look just as good” and it always turns out like crap.

And since I don’t have the skill to do it myself, and I also don’t have 10-15k to have it done right, I’ll gladly look at my crappy old paint (call it patina if you will) rather than have a vehicle that you can “ride the waves “ when you look down the side on a sunny day. It’s a common conversation about the price of classic vehicles, but paint shop work has gotten crazy expensive along with it. The only place in town that currently does classic vehicles that I can find wants $7500 just for a basic respray and minimal prep and bodywork. 20 years ago I had a car redone professionally (with panel and rust repair) and it cost me 3k.

One thing I’ll never do is criticize someone with a less than stellar paint job that has done it themselves and is learning.

Something I do appreciate about the patina trucks is when they’re a family vehicle, and each gouge or scratch has a story- that stuff can’t be replaced.

To the OP, I’m not a huge fan of stripes, but ones like these I really like:

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-5
Engine Size
It’s true, paint and bodywork is expensive. A lot of people can’t afford it and it shows, unfortunately. It’s a hard lesson I’ve learned when guys swear that “I can do it cheaper and it’ll look just as good” and it always turns out like crap.

And since I don’t have the skill to do it myself, and I also don’t have 10-15k to have it done right, I’ll gladly look at my crappy old paint (call it patina if you will) rather than have a vehicle that you can “ride the waves “ when you look down the side on a sunny day. It’s a common conversation about the price of classic vehicles, but paint shop work has gotten crazy expensive along with it. The only place in town that currently does classic vehicles that I can find wants $7500 just for a basic respray and minimal prep and bodywork. 20 years ago I had a car redone professionally (with panel and rust repair) and it cost me 3k.

One thing I’ll never do is criticize someone with a less than stellar paint job that has done it themselves and is learning.

Something I do appreciate about the patina trucks is when they’re a family vehicle, and each gouge or scratch has a story- that stuff can’t be replaced.

To the OP, I’m not a huge fan of stripes, but ones like these I really like:

Agreed, if they're factory I like them. I was curious if they were a factory option. My truck has a ZY5 rpo and I didn't seen anything about hood stripes. But I did talk with the original owner and she said, they have been there since since new. It was her grandfather's truck. And my goal is to restore it back to what she remembers when new. Probably without the stripes.

As far your comment on paint jobs, I agree, paint is an expensive part of a build. And it keeps going up every month. But as far as patina, not for me. And I also dislike people asking outrageous prices on trucks with drive train and suspension mods but use patina as an excuse for the out of ball park prices.
Just my opinion, and opions are like a$$holes, everybody has one.
And I do like the blazer stripes!!

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
Someone who has sense... lol.

Yeah nature did it, same way it rotted the steps to my porch, but I don't see anyone calling that unique or beautiful.

Rust just looks crappy and old.

Though I respect your truck is solid and cool and can't wait to see what comes from it. But yeah "patina" is a stupid excuse of trying to pat ones self on the back for driving old junk. Just admit you can't afford a repaint, nothing to pretend you like lolol
Some owners use their truck rather than use them for trophies. Iv'e had a few trophies in my day. Just took up a garage space.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Some owners use their truck rather than use them for trophies. Iv'e had a few trophies in my day. Just took up a garage space.
Oh trust me, I don't own a show truck. Mine is spray painted, but I at least tried to get it decent looking and close to factory color. I use the heck out of my stuff, but no sense in bragging about how ugly it is either. If ya got something that's a beat old work truck, it is what it is. If you got something that isn't great looking but you like it and think it's a cool truck, you might as well at least make an attempt to clean up the appearance. Don't brag about how the paint is falling off and it is rusting away, that isn't cool it's just decrepit and worn out. People will even go so far as to take a clean truck and sand all the paint off to force it to rust faster, that is just insane. I don't like having the cops called on me just because my truck looks old, I'd rather try to blend in with the normal humans that have jobs and aren't junkies, driving something rusty around here they treat you like you're not even white anymore. No thanks, I'll stick to vehicles with paint

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Oh yeah, air shocks jacked sky high, N50 tires sticking out the back, or mud tires on the back of two wheel drive trucks.....yep, that was me..lol
I rock oversized mud tires on the back of my 2wd s10 daily! Lol and on my c10! Lol
Crappy pic but you can see my 2wd mudders lol

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-5
Engine Size
I like your square S10, I have a square Sonoma as well..... current sitting in my back field waiting for me to do something with it, with a rod knocking 2.8

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Thanks! Always loved square s10s

Latest posts