Engine using excessive oil "opinions wanted"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I hear the call of a hi-po 350 calling for a truck body

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes this a little off the subject I was suggesting the water down the cylinders as a suggestion for cleaning the piston cylinder and ring lands in an effort to get the rings to seal better. I do not know if anyone has suggested making sure the PCV valve and crancase ventilation hoses are all in good working condition. As in nothing plugged, pinched shut, stuck or collapsed.
Didn't say PCV specifically but someone mentioned to make sure his valve covers were at least vented.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Didn't say PCV specifically but someone mentioned to make sure his valve covers were at least vented.
I don’t think two vents would work well.. the vapors can’t really get through a filter without plugging it up I’d think

Mofarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ok guys just a little update, I added a quart of the marvel mystery oil to my old engine oil and drove it around a couple weekends probably 150 miles or so. My thought was if the mm broke anything loose I could drain the oil and start with fresh oil. So I have changed the oil and added another quart of the mm oil, drove the truck 250 miles this holiday weekend, I checked the oil this morning exactly a quart low. So the oil consumption problem hasn't improved any yet, as I posted originally the engine runs strong and sounds good for a 305! As one of you guys mentioned I think I'll just keep a couple quarts of oil behind the seat and drive it until I decide on what crate engine I want to install.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok guys just a little update, I added a quart of the marvel mystery oil to my old engine oil and drove it around a couple weekends probably 150 miles or so. My thought was if the mm broke anything loose I could drain the oil and start with fresh oil. So I have changed the oil and added another quart of the mm oil, drove the truck 250 miles this holiday weekend, I checked the oil this morning exactly a quart low. So the oil consumption problem hasn't improved any yet, as I posted originally the engine runs strong and sounds good for a 305! As one of you guys mentioned I think I'll just keep a couple quarts of oil behind the seat and drive it until I decide on what crate engine I want to install.
Also remember that the mm is thinner, so you might not see improvement until you go back to regular oil. If it were me now that you have flushed it out, when you change it next I'd add a quart of hyperlube. The hyperlube wont fix anything but it will reduce consumption.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size

Did you add some to the gas as well ?

And, one thought - I cannot remember what cylinder/bank you said was weak. On Goldie, it is the passenger bank - # 6 & # 8.

I disconnected ( plugged the vaccuum line ) for the EFE riser.

May not have solved the oil burn ( and leak LOL ) issue, but I think it took some of the additional pressure off the rings. Damn EGR is right there, too, but that is still hooked up.

Mainly because what I have read is that if it was OE equipped with it , it runs better w/ it installed. Whenever the new motor is done that will go buh bye ! along with the majority of the emmissions stuff.

But - ain't there yet. :)

Mofarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Did you add some to the gas as well ?

And, one thought - I cannot remember what cylinder/bank you said was weak. On Goldie, it is the passenger bank - # 6 & # 8.

I disconnected ( plugged the vaccuum line ) for the EFE riser.

May not have solved the oil burn ( and leak LOL ) issue, but I think it took some of the additional pressure off the rings. Damn EGR is right there, too, but that is still hooked up.

Mainly because what I have read is that if it was OE equipped with it , it runs better w/ it installed. Whenever the new motor is done that will go buh bye ! along with the majority of the emmissions stuff.

But - ain't there yet. :)
No I didnt add any to the fuel, on mine its the drivers side "1357" thats the problem.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
No I didnt add any to the fuel, on mine its the drivers side "1357" thats the problem.

Well, if you still have some, add it to the fuel, too.

It can't hurt - I can promise that based on 10K or so in Goldie.

:)

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Is there any update on this? I'm curious if you found the solution. I'm betting on valve seals or sticking rings after that long hibernation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hugger-4641