Engine Stand Attachment Hardware

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
3 inch I believe. Maybe get both 3 and 3-1/2, better to have them too long than too short, you can add washers to make them shorter if need be.

ok, I thought they would have to be longer.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Measure the length of the black arm thingies where the bellhousing bolts up and add an inch. That should be plenty.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
OK good, 3" or 3-1/4" would work great, I wasn't far off. Luckily for me I have a vast collection of nuts, bolts and washers.. :lol:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
OK good, 3" or 3-1/4" would work great, I wasn't far off. Luckily for me I have a vast collection of nuts, bolts and washers.. :lol:

Going to the hardware store tomorrow to see if I can even get grade 8 in that length. I know I get grade 5.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I keep a small can of bolts for my engine stands. And nice thick washers too. Not some cheap ass flimsly fender type washers. And grade 8 bolts for sure. Also get a few extra washers, becuase depending the blocks or type of motors you will be using, some need differant lenghts, so are actually bigger bolts. I always keep my assorment of grade 5 and 8 bolts seperate from all my other bolts. I also use them bolts on harmonic balncers pullers, steering wheel pullers etc. You always need a good assorment Grade 8 bolts. I also use them to shorten my chain on hoisting the engine if need be. Serveral reasons to keep grade 8 bolts around.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I say neither. If you want to copy their measurements fine, do so, but why pay $12 + shipping when you go to Lowes or Home Depot and probably get a kit of your own for about $6-$8 and no shipping. Those washers look small and flimsy too. Like I said Dave, go buy your own bolts and keep you a seperate container with your hardened bolts and flat washers for engine stand and pullers purpose. If you think you'll need metric botls too, then get 2 containers, 1 for SAE threads and one for Metric threads. You can do this, you don't need to buy that "kit".

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
X2 I would say neither as well. I would also add I would look for a local hardware supplier, try to help out a mom & pop shop. There's not enough of that going on anymore.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I say neither. If you want to copy their measurements fine, do so, but why pay $12 + shipping when you go to Lowes or Home Depot and probably get a kit of your own for about $6-$8 and no shipping. Those washers look small and flimsy too. Like I said Dave, go buy your own bolts and keep you a seperate container with your hardened bolts and flat washers for engine stand and pullers purpose. If you think you'll need metric botls too, then get 2 containers, 1 for SAE threads and one for Metric threads. You can do this, you don't need to buy that "kit".

Lowes and home depot sells grade 8 bolts? I know tractor supply sells bolts and nuts by the pound. Solenbergers is high on grade 8 bolts/nuts. But dont know if tractor supply has grade 8 in that length though.

Ok, I'll check lowes today for grade 8 bolts.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Lowes and home depot sells grade 8 bolts? I know tractor supply sells bolts and nuts by the pound. Solenbergers is high on grade 8 bolts/nuts. But dont know if tractor supply has grade 8 in that length though.

Ok, I'll check lowes today for grade 8 bolts.

Lowes and Home Depot have done run off the mom and pop shops and small ACE hardware franchises around here. But I'm like you C4. I do agree in helping the underdog or the little guy and I do whenever I can. That's why I avoid Walmart like the plague.

But yes Dave, Home Depot and Lowes both sell grade 5 and 8 bolts. They are not in the plastic bags hanging on hooks. They are in the metal drawer bins in the specialty fastener section a bit further down the isle, and they are sold individually instead of like a 3 or 5 pack.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Lowes and Home Depot have done run off the mom and pop shops and small ACE hardware franchises around here. But I'm like you C4. I do agree in helping the underdog or the little guy and I do whenever I can. That's why I avoid Walmart like the plague.

But yes Dave, Home Depot and Lowes both sell grade 5 and 8 bolts. They are not in the plastic bags hanging on hooks. They are in the metal drawer bins in the specialty fastener section a bit further down the isle, and they are sold individually instead of like a 3 or 5 pack.

Ok, Thanks.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Speaking of hardware...

You must be registered for see images attach

A manufacturing company I deliver to doesn't bother with picking up the dropped hardware during the day, they sweep it up at the end and throw it in these tubs. They don't want to resort it so about once a month they toss it in the garbage. I talked the guy into giving some to me, I figure there's about 60 pounds here. Good quality with most of it being allen head bolts and stainless locking nuts. My neighbors saw this and now they come here instead of going to the hardware store.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Speaking of hardware...

You must be registered for see images attach

A manufacturing company I deliver to doesn't bother with picking up the dropped hardware during the day, they sweep it up at the end and throw it in these tubs. They don't want to resort it so about once a month they toss it in the garbage. I talked the guy into giving some to me, I figure there's about 60 pounds here. Good quality with most of it being allen head bolts and stainless locking nuts. My neighbors saw this and now they come here instead of going to the hardware store.

Nice collection you have there.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Ok, I found 3/8 x16 3 1/2($1.05ea) and 7/16 x14 3 1/2 in($1.05) grade 8. Nobody has the 4 1/2 or the metric sizes. These arent full threaded bolts either from what I found at lowes.

Checked Tractor Supply and same as Lowes except they dont the 7/16 sizes in grade 8.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns