Engine dies when put in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shelby88

Reaction score
First Name
Shelby
Truck Year
Truck Model
Half ton silverado
Engine Size
My truck dies when i put it in gear. Revers or drive. Here is a little backgraound. I just did an engine swap this weekend and replace my 1985 305 with a GM performance 290 hp 350. Everything is new except the trans witch worked great last week( i drove to texas and back, over 1000 mi with no issue).
Carb-holley avenger New
Dizy- msd street fire hei. New
Intake- edelbrock performer. New
Timing set at 10 degrees
Idles great at 800 rpm in park, but when i put it in gear it dies. Please help me figure this out. I am at a loss.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
My truck dies when i put it in gear. Revers or drive. Here is a little backgraound. I just did an engine swap this weekend and replace my 1985 305 with a GM performance 290 hp 350. Everything is new except the trans witch worked great last week( i drove to texas and back, over 1000 mi with no issue).
Carb-holley avenger New
Timing set at 10 degrees
Idles great at 800 rpm in park, but when i put it in gear it dies. Please help me figure this out. I am at a loss.

If you have a 700r4, the torque converter could be locked up, or the carb is not adjusted corectly.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Carb-holley avenger New
Timing set at 10 degrees

If you have a 700r4, the torque converter could be locked up, or the carb is not adjusted corectly. are you able to keep it running with some pedal when shifting into gear?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Is the transmission a 700-R4 with TCC? Probably not - but if it is you might want to read this TSB:

Engine - Stops Running When Shifting to Reverse or Drive

NUMBER: 86-B-79

GROUP: 7A-Automatic Transmission

DATE: May, 1986
SUBJECT: ENGINE STOPS RUNNING DUE TO TCC ENGAGEMENT WHEN SHIFTED FROM PARK/NEUTRAL TO REVERSE OR DRIVE

MODELS: 1982-86 LIGHT DUTY MODELS WITH THM 700-R4 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
Some 1982 through 1986 vehicles equipped with a THM 700-R4 automatic transmission may experience a condition where the engine stops running or lugs when shifted from Park/Neutral to Reverse or Drive.

Fig 1
You must be registered for see images attach

This condition may be a result of torque converter clutch engagement when either gear range is selected, and may be caused by improper operation of the converter clutch valve, located in the pump cover (Refer to Figure No. 1).. If this condition exists, inspect the converter clutch apply valve for the following:

Fig 2
You must be registered for see images attach

^ Not properly seated or missing retaining ring (item 225). When installing this retaining ring make certain the rounded edge of the ring faces the valve stop (item 226). Refer to Figure No. 2.
^ Nicks or burrs in the converter clutch valve (item 227) or valve bore.

^ Missing, broken or damaged converter clutch valve springs (outer spring item 228 and inner spring item 229).
IMPORTANT: Prior to servicing the pump assembly for the above condition, make certain that the engine is properly tuned to specifications.

Refer to the appropriate Service Manual for removal and installation procedures.

Shelby88

Reaction score
First Name
Shelby
Truck Year
Truck Model
Half ton silverado
Engine Size
Its a th350 trans and yes it will stay running with a little pedal. The trans was working perfect prior to the engine swap so ii dont think its a trans issue. All i did was unbolt the converter for the swap.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If you put it in DRIVE, let off the brake and don't feed it - will it keep running and roll down the street faster than normal?

And then when the brake is applied and the truck is stopped it dies?

What about if you lift the rear end off the ground - does it still die when put in gear?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Me is thinking Vacuum issue. Leaking Modulator maybe?

scottbeckerle

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Figure it out?

Did you ever figure out the issue? I have a 79 K10 that does the exact thing after I did a motor swap using the 350/290hp GM Crate.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
my truck was doing this as well, but it was a timing problem. ie only 6 of 8 were firing

scottbeckerle

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have the same exact setup Shelby has minus a new dizzy that I'm putting in next week because my timing was bouncing around and the existing one looks old. Not sure if that will fix my issue or not.

I did just change the vacuum modulator yesterday with no success.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Timing bouncing around is usually a stretched timing chain. I hope that isn't your problem

Sent from the dust in front of you!

scottbeckerle

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Considering the motor only has 40 miles on it what's the likely hood that is the problem? This is my first introduction into working on an old vehicle so I'm pretty new at these things. This truck has been one thing right after the other, I'd love to actually drive the darn thing!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I see that's awesome then less work on. Other probable causes: the springs or weights under the rotor cap could not of been functioning properly, cam and distributor gears weren't meshing together. Did you rebuild it yourself?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
All of these issues are with the 350/290hp crate engine. GM's instructions for that engine tell you not to hook up the vacuum advance. That is complete nonsense. Hook up the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum.

scottbeckerle

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had a local shop install the motor since I didn't have the garage l do now. Everything ran fine leaving the shop until my rear end went out the second drive after motor install. That's when the truck sat for 6-8 months as I gathered funds, knowledge and courage to just do it myself. I just now finished assembling the rear and was getting ready to test it out when this stalling started occurring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare