Engine is at high idle but when I press the brake in gear the engine wants to die

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scarlett77camaro

Reaction score
First Name
Giancarlo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Camaro
Engine Size
250 inline 6
Hey guys so I just rebuilt the top end on my 1977 camaro with the 4.1 250 inline 6. I can’t seem to get the engine tuned right though. Seems like I have a high idle when in P or N but when I put into gear it runs pretty good. Problem is though when I press the brake hard enough it wants to kill the engine. Also to come to a complete stop I have to basically stand on the brakes. Just got new front rotors calipers and pads and just loosened the drum brakes just a bit but still need to stand on the brakes. Honestly at this point I’m at my wits end. Would love some help!!

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Leaking vacuum brake booster would give those symptoms. If the diaphragm in the booster has a crack, you would not have the vacuum leak until you apply the brakes.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Back to basics.. Base timing is a critical adjustment.. Also curb idle, choke adjustment, and idle mixture adjustment.. If the choke doesn't fully release after engine warm-up, fast idle cam will hold the idle speed too high. Hard brake pedal is indicative of a bad power brake booster..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad