350 backfiring from carb, stalls under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 20
Engine Size
1973 Chevy C20 with 350. I just redid the intake manifold gaskets and it fired right up, idles good, but when i put it in gear and give it gas it just backfires and dies. I’ve messed with the timing, advancing and retarding but it doesnt seem to help. I have relatively new carburetor (demon 650), new HEI distributor, wires, plugs. It idles good but just dogs out when i give it gas. I can even rev it just fine when its in neutral. Any help would be appreciated.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Lean mixture from the squirters not squirting?

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
What Eric said...Backfiring through the carb can be caused by several things, but in this instance, probably a lean condition caused by a leak. You said you messed with timing...backfiring through the carb could also mean your intake valve is still open when it fires on the power stroke, blowing through the carb, so would need to be retarded.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Has vacuum been checked? Broken valve spring or other valve train issue?

Doubt it is root of the problem, Demon carbs do not belong on SB trucks. Can't for the life of me understand why that choice. They are tractors that need torque.

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I know you have a different carb, but I had that problem with my 73 Javelin and a Holley Carb. I put an edelbrock intake and carb on it and still had the problem.

Turned out the intake wasn't milled square and I had a huge vacuum leak. Ended up putting the adapter plate on it to get it to seal. After that it runs fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag