emissions suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
if you guys want to stick with emissions and defend it go ahead, I could care less. I don't run the crap it looks aweful and really cleans things up underhood with it gone.

My vehicles don't get drove much so it's not hurting things as bad as it could be.

The guy asked I question i answered. I'm not going to argue over how much better 1/4 times or hp or tq stupid things like emissions can help or do.

if I don't remove it for looks, i remove it cuz it failed and I'm cheap.

Me too, I am hoping I can set mine up to pass emissions cert without the smog pump.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
that would be the hardest to hide since it's belt driven.

honestly I think if it's tuned right and isn't burning crap it shouldn't like oil or excess fuel etc. then you should be able to pass without the air pump.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
that would be the hardest to hide since it's belt driven.

honestly I think if it's tuned right and isn't burning crap it shouldn't like oil or excess fuel etc. then you should be able to pass without the air pump.

Actually, Since the truck that I got the TBI setup from Didnt have the pump, I shouldnt need to have it, but If I get an inspector that doesnt know his ass from a hole in the ground, I may need to put it back on.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
honestly I think if it's tuned right and isn't burning crap it shouldn't, like oil or excess fuel etc., then you should be able to pass without the air pump.

That was always a tough one for me when I was smog testing, having to fail a vehicle for something trivial like a missing heat riser tube even though the emissions were within spec.

They actually programmed the system so if a car failed the visual AND emissions, the owner got the complete report. If it failed visual but was running clean it would only print out a list of the missing equipment...the emissions report was omitted.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
That was always a tough one for me when I was smog testing, having to fail a vehicle for something trivial like a missing heat riser tube even though the emissions were within spec.

They actually programmed the system so if a car failed the visual AND emissions, the owner got the complete report. If it failed visual but was running clean it would only print out a list of the missing equipment...the emissions report was omitted.

I just dont understnd why Ca thinks they have to know whats under the hood, as long as it passes where it counts...at the tail pipe. For example, if I installed a set of headers, and added the air tubes(if required), it should pass, but no, it wont, beacause the headers are not the Edelbrock headers that cost alsmost $500 more that have the EO number...forget the fact that everything is hooked up and operating properly.
Pull it up to the dyno...make sure there are no codes, run the driving tests, and if it passes, fine. no reason to snoop around.
When I was younger, I always thought they looked to make sure that you didnt have something more powerful than the cops had.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Back then there was a way around the law that allowed savvy owners to run almost anything they wanted under the hood. There was an official form called a Statement of Facts, which was used when a vehicle had an engine swap. If a guy had a 1980 car but filled out the SoF form indicating it had a 1963 engine, the car was tested as a '63. It didn't matter that I could check the block number and prove it was an '80 motor, as long as the owner was willing to certify "under penalty of perjury" that it was something older, that's how we had to test it.

The local speed shop had it dialed in. They built some really fast Chevelles, Mustangs, and Mopar stuff and (amazingly) they all had engines that only required a pcv valve and easy emissions levels. The owner used to bring in 10-15 cars per week and never failed the test. It took a long time for the state to catch on and close the loophole.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
aint fear of the unknown to me it's uglyness. a big huge clutter and look s horrible. removing means weight saves and some free'd up hp's LOL. I like the look sof the crap in the trash much better then on the truck.

I agree 100%, it's ugly, it get's in the way of working on stuff that DOES actually matter, and it's just more crap that can fail and cause problems. I know what the parts are, but I still remove them and my engines run fine. And while removing that garbage may not improve HP, it certainly doesn't hurt it.

Except for the flame arrestor that some air cleaners have... that sucker is a restriction.

ole blue 85

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10 silverado
Engine Size
305ci
Thanks for the help and advice. Just seems like every time i fix one vacuum leak i find another one... I like simple better than complicated even more now that it seems the general consensus is that overall power gains are minimal. Truck came original with same 305 that's in it, cruise, pwr windows, door locks, etc. I'm reasonably sure that the vacuum has something to do with the cruise not working most of the time and the trans not kicking all the way down when i put the pedal on the floor. Lots to do anyway you look at it. thanks again. ALWAYS REMEMBER... WITHOUT ONE IN THE CHAMBER IT'S ONLY A HAMMER!!!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Mike, Whats transmission do you have?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I guess I'll take the arguementative side. Leave the emmsions and make sure they are properly connected. Yes, they are ugly, yes they are a pain in the ass to work around, but they do work, serve a purpose, and you'll gain nothing by deleting them other than maybe a bit easier to work on when the time comes.
You'll also be suprized to find that when you take all those emmisions off, you will lose a bit of mpg, not gain any. Maybe only 1/2 to 1 mpg, but still a loss.
Also, as far as the visual inspection, it's just as important as the sniffer test. Things like a heat riser tube... A vehicle is at it's dirtiest when it's cold and not very efficent leaving unspent HC's and CO's into the air. Your vehicle isn't tested cold or it would likely fail. The heat riser helps eliminate the smog until the motor is warmed up by putting warmer air into the intake. Think of all the short trips people make that never even gets the motor completely warmed up. Also, the Evap canister... it does recover fumes that are not even measured. You can pass the sniffer test flying colors without an Evap canister, but if it's not there you are polluting the air. NOx, (Oxides of Nitrogen) also are not measured in the sniffer test and many of the visual emmisions help eliminate NOx. Things like Temperature Vacuum switches which will stop timing vac advance until the motor is warmed up and why it's important to have your vac hose routing done properly.
Now days, computers take care of all of these things. Many are not aware, if you computer controlled vechile doesn't get warmed up you'll get ****** mpg because the Temp sensor keeps computers from going into a full closed loop mode and tuning your motor for maximum efficiency and performance.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
TX has rolling emission exempt status, 25 years and older it is saftey inspection only testing so this year all 87 and older vehicles are exempt. Thank God. On a side note I'm hoping to offset the emission of at least 15 Toyota Prius's when I put in my 454/TH400/3.73 12bolt. HEHE!

ole blue 85

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10 silverado
Engine Size
305ci
first chance i get i will get the pics under the hood... super busy with kids graduating tonight and tomorrow. Thanks again.

ole blue 85

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10 silverado
Engine Size
305ci
don't have to worry about passing emissions test where i live, just have a lot of leaks and vacuum assisted stuff that's not working properly. eventually the plan is 3.73 posi rear end, 400r4, and a healthy 383 stroker with stainless headers, and a decent exhaust. very similar to my first truck but it was a 75 3/4 ton scottsdale long bed 2wd,with a 400 short tail tranny and a 454.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you mean 700r4? or you mean th400? there is no 400r4 that i know of.