emissions suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ole blue 85

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10 silverado
Engine Size
305ci
I started bringing my 85 c 10 back to life. What is the best way to eliminate all the excess vacuum **** for the emissions and simplify the vacuum system for more trouble free running. Just replaced the seals on the pitman shaft, had the stock 7" wheels powdercoated gloss black and put new tires on it, changed out the leaking exhaust gasketts. Any diagrams or pics would be a great help. Have along way to go and not in a real big hurry. Thanks again.:patriot:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
run one ported/timed or full vac. to the dist. if it has vac. adv.

run one for your trans if you have a vac. modulator on it. Then one bigger one for power brakes if you have them and one big one for the valve cover pcv.

That's about it.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
It amazes me how many people remove emissions equipment but have no idea what they're even looking at. Fear of the unknown I guess.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
It amazes me how many people remove emissions equipment but have no idea what they're even looking at. Fear of the unknown I guess.

An education you only get in California.
Ole Blue, what exactly is it about the way it is currently set up that is giving you trouble?
Also, I do have some diagrams, but there are quite a few for 85. Could you get 3 or 4 pics of your engine compartment with the air cleaner off,so we can see ecactly what you have?
We also need to know if you have an electronic or vac advance distributor.

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
aint fear of the unknown to me it's uglyness. a big huge clutter and look s horrible. removing means weight saves and some free'd up hp's LOL. I like the look sof the crap in the trash much better then on the truck.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
aint fear of the unknown to me it's uglyness. a big huge clutter and look s horrible. removing means weight saves and some free'd up hp's LOL. I like the look sof the crap in the trash much better then on the truck.

The only thing to remove that would free up any power, is the old OEM Pancake cat that cam on those trucks, and replace it with a modern unit. No difference from removing anything else. I argree about the ugly part, though.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I argree about the ugly part, though.

Me too. I do get a chuckle though when someone says they picked up 10 hp by removing "that smog thing" which turns out to be the fuel evap canister. Hell, my truck gains at least 10 hp on the butt dyno after a good wash 'n wax, but I've never seen actual dyno sheets before/after that show a measurable improvement from just removing emissions equipment.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Me too. I do get a chuckle though when someone says they picked up 10 hp by removing "that smog thing" which turns out to be the fuel evap canister. Hell, my truck gains at least 10 hp on the butt dyno after a good wash 'n wax, but I've never seen actual dyno sheets before/after that show a measurable improvement from just removing emissions equipment.

Yup...we did dyno runs on a stock 87 k10.
1st run, bone stock.
Took the smog pump off...2nd run....same outcome, no change.
removed the stock converter, installed a walker replacement... freed up about 10hp.
But people still remove that stuff....juss cuz thare Daddy said it would give them more power, or their Gram-paw said it was all part of some left wing hippy conspiracy. I tell people to go south of the border, and try to breath easy while crossing the street in front of traffic stopped at a red light...smells like a shitload of over rich running lawn mowers.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I never said it would, everyone else does.

I don't see why removing the smog pump doesn't free up something though, at least some drag on the front end, and then weight savings.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Free's up weight, and space underhood. I did it to simplify things. The more parts you have the more opportunity you have for something to fail and cause problems. I have a distributor advance vac hose, power brake hose, and PCV valve hose and that's it. Tech check at the last race I ran the tech tripped out because of how few lines there was to hook up his vac gauge lol. Of course he had just crawled out from under the hood of a 2000+ Ford F150.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I never said it would, everyone else does.

I don't see why removing the smog pump doesn't free up something though, at least some drag on the front end, and then weight savings.

If the weight savings on a smog pump makes that much difference, maybe we should Naire an elephant to see if it will allow him to run low 10's in the 1/4 mile.
And the water pump causes more drag than ansmog pump.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I recall reading somewhere that the air injection pump requires about 1/2 hp to operate, which seems about right since you can easily spin the pulley by hand. Not gonna feel the gain with a 3 ton truck.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
if you guys want to stick with emissions and defend it go ahead, I could care less. I don't run the crap it looks aweful and really cleans things up underhood with it gone.

My vehicles don't get drove much so it's not hurting things as bad as it could be.

The guy asked I question i answered. I'm not going to argue over how much better 1/4 times or hp or tq stupid things like emissions can help or do.

if I don't remove it for looks, i remove it cuz it failed and I'm cheap.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Ahh, don't get defensive, we're just talking.

Believe me, I don't enjoy emissions testing, but if I pulled the egr, pcv, evap can, and cat my truck would run just the same.

I have no problem with selective, intelligent equipment removal under the hood, it's the chainsaw clear cutting with no idea of what does what that bothers me.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
LOl good way of putting it.

I would leave every bit of it if we had to have it, but I would relocate to hide now that would be nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kparris