Emissions removal instructions thread?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Are there any step by step emissions removal threads out there, 1988 454 with carb standard shift, I know some vacuum hoses have to stay, just trying to cut down on trouble shooting time

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
When the tbi was removed did they change the distributor too?

On a carb engine at minimum you’ll want the pcv system there, vacuum advance at distributor and vacuum to brake booster if not hydro boost. If it’s a standard aka manual, no vac modulator.

Also, make sure the fuel tanks are still properly ventilated. A roll over vent is a good option.

I don’t think I’ve missed any of the basics, but feel like I’m forgetting something...

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Carb from the factory, also what is the best thing to do with the air pump disconnect it, take it off, put a tensioner in its place?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Carb from the factory, also what is the best thing to do with the air pump disconnect it, take it off, put a tensioner in its place?

Multiple belts or serpentine belt? Should be Multiple belts. Just remove the pump and install a shorter 5-rib belt. I posted the correct length belt around here somewhere, maybe I can find it again.

You really only need PCV hooked up, the vent line going to the charcoal canister, and then the vacuum supply to the HVAC system.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Crazy, I thought the 454 was TBI in 1988.

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Here's what I got going on, it looks like somebody removed the driver's side emissions, Capped the manifolds and removed the smog pump,I would like to remove the other smog pump and find a new bracket so it doesn't look so hideous , next year I plan to do a cam intake carb swap,but to get this thing going I want to throw on a set of Mickey Thompson valve covers I have laying around and clean up the engine bay, there's hoses everywhere,what is the device on the driver side valve cover is that the EGR valve?, I pulled the air cleaner off , I disconnected a few hoses and the truck was runnin ruff, I just put it back together and figured I'd ask some opinions

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
You engine looks very similar to the mid 1985-86 trucks. They had dual smog pumps with factory stainless exhaust manifolds. One thing so others could help, would be to post and image of your vacuum diagram on the air cleaner. There are so many vacuum lines on these year trucks it would help other decipher what you have and what can be deleted. Many of the the lines are routed through the temp controlled sensors on the intake and thermostat housing like mine.

The other interesting thing to see is what your tag says where I marked mine. My truck was built in 11/84. The tag says my truck complies to 1984 emissions standards for the State of California. Federal emission standards changed 1/1/85 and went to your style of set up until fuel injection started in 1987. I had an '87 C30 3+3 and an '88 C20 Suburban both with 454's and they had FI. Maybe it's just chassis cabs that still had carbs. I've heard some motorhome chassis had them to for a few years too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I remember seeing other '88 cab & chassis trucks with a carbed 454. I figured it was Canada or something.

Here's what I got going on, it looks like somebody removed the driver's side emissions, Capped the manifolds and removed the smog pump,I would like to remove the other smog pump and find a new bracket so it doesn't look so hideous , next year I plan to do a cam intake carb swap,but to get this thing going I want to throw on a set of Mickey Thompson valve covers I have laying around and clean up the engine bay, there's hoses everywhere,what is the device on the driver side valve cover is that the EGR valve?, I pulled the air cleaner off , I disconnected a few hoses and the truck was runnin ruff, I just put it back together and figured I'd ask some opinions

That belt# I posted will work there if the pump is removed.

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
This is what she says

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
There's another Brain buster for you guys, I want to get rid of this top bracket that held smog pump, the power steering reservoir is currently mounted to it, anybody know of a GM bracket that mounts this separately, or is it a different reservoir style that they would use without smog pump vehicles

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's an option on a 68-72 truck (photo 1). The second example on the core support is on a 65-67 Chevelle BBC.

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Here's an option on a 68-72 truck (photo 1). The second example on the core support is on a 65-67 Chevelle BBC.

Hell yeah, best tip yet thanks craig85

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
While we are on this subject, I just started removal of the smog pump from my 89 burb - 454 TBI. I've just removed the pump and idler pulley along with all the brackets for those. Although I do need to cut it down a bit as it had a support for the front of the A/C compressor and without it I can see a little bit of flex when the belt tension is on. I haven't had a chance to jump under the car yet, there is a single pipe that goes around the back of the engine for the air injection into the manifolds, does anyone know the location of where the pipework is bolted to behind the engine?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk