Edelbrock 1405 carb running rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Jay, As far as "the sound at idle because of a miss or just the exhaust being normal?" I hear what you hear too, it does kind of have that sound to it, but. Your vacuum readings are steady, the engine looks steady when you were filming under the hood, and it sound good when you give it gas. So I think you are just hearing normal exhaust with the bit of remaining leak.

Let us know how it goes next time you drive it to work or wherever.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I’ll be going to work in the morning, I’m hoping the “chatter” when on the throttle goes away with the majority of the exhaust leak being resolved. The truck was dead quiet just cruising. But as soon as you even breathed on the throttle it chattered like crazy because of what I assume was the exhaust leak. It honestly began to annoy me(I’m easily annoyed by certain things especially things I can change lol) I’m really hoping the truck overall sounds better and hopefully runs better after pouring the b12 through the carb. I tried to do “jb weld tiger patch” over the welds for the mufflers a while back but I didn’t have aluminum foil tape so it didn’t help as much as I’d hope it would have. I’m not sure what else to try on the exhaust pipe welds where there’s holes

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I’ll be going to work in the morning, I’m hoping the “chatter” when on the throttle goes away with the majority of the exhaust leak being resolved. The truck was dead quiet just cruising. But as soon as you even breathed on the throttle it chattered like crazy because of what I assume was the exhaust leak. It honestly began to annoy me(I’m easily annoyed by certain things especially things I can change lol) I’m really hoping the truck overall sounds better and hopefully runs better after pouring the b12 through the carb. I tried to do “jb weld tiger patch” over the welds for the mufflers a while back but I didn’t have aluminum foil tape so it didn’t help as much as I’d hope it would have. I’m not sure what else to try on the exhaust pipe welds where there’s holes
I really think in the long run your going end up having to replace the exhaust.

I hear ya, on the "I'm easily annoyed by certain things" For me it's rattles. I can't stand rattles.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Oh yea for sure needs a full redo but for a work truck I don’t plan on spending that kinda cash until the truck has earned an exhaust lol. This truck doesn’t rattle much, the exhaust has an occasional squeak tho. If exhaust tips weren’t so pricy I’d put some tips on it for a somewhat deeper sound.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Is the exhaust pop after a rev normal for my exhaust setup? Or is that a backfire or loading up on fuel or whatever else could possibly be something not good? It also pops if you’re higher in rpms driving and let off the throttle it does not usually do it when engine braking via downshift. Only after throttle

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Is the exhaust pop after a rev normal for my exhaust setup? Or is that a backfire or loading up on fuel or whatever else could possibly be something not good? It also pops if you’re higher in rpms driving and let off the throttle it does not usually do it when engine braking via downshift. Only after throttle
That's a great question. My answer is as long as it is just a pop, and does not actually backfire I would not worry to much about it. But it is unburned fuel getting out of the combustion chamber and burning probably in the manifold or down pipe. To some degree some unburned wasted fuel getting into the exhaust is normal, but anytime there is a leak either at the manifold or downpipe like you have there is the possibility of fresh air getting where it is still hot enough for the unburned fuel to ignite. That is very likely the issue right there. But stuff like timing off, mixture off or a weak valve spring or leaky seat could all cause it or attribute to it. Again if it's just a pop don't worry anymore about it, if it actually backfires then that's cause for concern.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I noticed after I got to work today my vacuum gauge was stuck at 12ish. I popped the hood when I got home for lunch and my vacuum line touched the intake manifold and it melted it shut. Does the intake usually get that hot? I don’t reckon I’ve ever fooled with an intake after the truck ran

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I noticed after I got to work today my vacuum gauge was stuck at 12ish. I popped the hood when I got home for lunch and my vacuum line touched the intake manifold and it melted it shut. Does the intake usually get that hot? I don’t reckon I’ve ever fooled with an intake after the truck ran
Well, I guess this is going to be a two part answer. There is an exhaust cross over in the intake manifold, and of course the port for the EGR, but it should not get hot enough to melt a vacuum line. I'd look at the heat riser or EFE which ever your truck has to make sure it isn't stuck closed. If it doesn't have one then I'd be less concerned. You can always shoot the temp of the intake tonight when you get home. But how did the truck run today?

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Truck ran pretty alright the choke is iffy, with it being hot weather it wants a little choke to fire up and idle but too much choke makes it stall back out. I’ve been trying to hit gas peda once and then pull the choke just until there’s resistance so it raises the idle and it will usually idle for a bit before I push choke back off. Or I can hit gas twice and it’ll fire right up and I can feather the gas for a second and it’ll idle.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here’s the vacuum line, no leak kt just melted it shut when I cut it you could hear it suck air in lol

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350

Could this missing bolt be the reason you can feel the shifter move when you take off? Say I’m in first and I’m taking off the shifter will torque over in your hand lol. Is there somewhere I can buy these special bushing bolt type things? Also the front driveshaft is sitting in dirty sludge from overtime and I have no way of getting it all out I’ve tried degreasers and a pressure washer and scraped all I could with a screwdriver but I can’t get up in around it

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Oh ok I assumed it was the black rubber line which is heat resistant. That clean plastic line melts at a much lower temp, I would not be to concerned about that then.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Could this missing bolt be the reason you can feel the shifter move when you take off? Say I’m in first and I’m taking off the shifter will torque over in your hand lol. Is there somewhere I can buy these special bushing bolt type things? Also the front driveshaft is sitting in dirty sludge from overtime and I have no way of getting it all out I’ve tried degreasers and a pressure washer and scraped all I could with a screwdriver but I can’t get up in around it
You gotta get that crossmember fixed. The one bolt left looks about 1/2 way backed out. I think you could just put normal grade 8 bolts in. If you have a nut and bolt store you could try there.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Any idea on size? The left side is completely missing, or passenger side rear bolt whichever way you look at it. I know there’s like a bushing piece to it, is that needed? I’d read about it helps, similar to motor mounts, to reduce torque movement. Could that also be part of reason my throw out bearing or something in the clutch squeals?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Any idea on size? The left side is completely missing, or passenger side rear bolt whichever way you look at it. I know there’s like a bushing piece to it, is that needed? I’d read about it helps, similar to motor mounts, to reduce torque movement. Could that also be part of reason my throw out bearing or something in the clutch squeals?
This would not cause the throw-out bearing to squeal. I really have no idea how to answer the bushing question. I'm sure they were put there for reason. Do you have a picture to jog my memory? No I have no idea on size. If it is generic kind of bushing I'd yard out one of the good ones and take it to a fastener shop and see if they can match it up. I'm not going to be of much more help than that on this. I don't think I've ever had to replace one, and it's been long enough since I removed a cross member I don't remember the specifics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD