Edelbrock 1405 carb running rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
Backfiring and "puffing from the carb" could very well be timing related.

as far as I know no squarebody came from the factory with a locked out vac can setup for manifold vacum, so I wouldnt suggest someone having issues hook up the vacumn advance that way, if it works so good whats the need for a vac can locked at 10° does full advance happen way to early and pinging occur?
no i set this up myself, learned this from a gm tech who used to work for gm and help development of the hei dist

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
no i set this up myself, learned this from a gm tech who used to work for gm and help development of the hei dist
it limits your overall timing and no pinging

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
hey look I understand what your saying, but how the **** does any of this help the OP get his truck running? can we quit the BS and help this gentleman get his truck to fire off, 70's and 80's american made V-8's werent exactly set to run on kill from the factory, none of the GM stuff had a 10 degree lock out on the vacum advance canister from the factory that I have ever seen or heard of, they were set up for nixon oil embargo era of 200hp if that, tops. so while others are giving him suggestions on how to get his truck back up and running as it was nearer a factory spec, making suggestions about different ways to do things that are far from factory does nothing but waste his time and ours.

I'm not saying your method is wrong per se, but as you said it doesnt work with a stock distributor, so you giving suggestions like you have accomplish very little in terms of helping getting his truck running.

I am done with the hyjacking of the OP's thread with this last reply to you, once he chimes back in we can continue to help him get his truck running

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
this has nothing to do with the op truck, u said hooking to full manifold vac is wrong, well u are wrong u need to look up ported verses full manifold vac and get some knowledge before u tell the op that is the wrong way no bs just facts sorry i touch a nerve lol

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
if u look back a some post u will see were im trying to help the young man

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
hey look I understand what your saying, but how the **** does any of this help the OP get his truck running? can we quit the BS and help this gentleman get his truck to fire off, 70's and 80's american made V-8's werent exactly set to run on kill from the factory, none of the GM stuff had a 10 degree lock out on the vacum advance canister from the factory that I have ever seen or heard of, they were set up for nixon oil embargo era of 200hp if that, tops. so while others are giving him suggestions on how to get his truck back up and running as it was nearer a factory spec, making suggestions about different ways to do things that are far from factory does nothing but waste his time and ours.

I'm not saying your method is wrong per se, but as you said it doesnt work with a stock distributor, so you giving suggestions like you have accomplish very little in terms of helping getting his truck running.

I am done with the hyjacking of the OP's thread with this last reply to you, once he chimes back in we can continue to help him get his truck running
if u look there is no place were i said for the op to do this to his truck nor did i say anything abought coming from the factory like this get your facts streight

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
this has nothing to do with the op truck, u said hooking to full manifold vac is wrong, well u are wrong u need to look up ported verses full manifold vac and get some knowledge before u tell the op that is the wrong way no bs just facts sorry i touch a nerve lol

show me factory specs that have a locked out advance canister. and hook to manifold on a post 70's Chev V-8

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Negative ghost rider, I didn’t get a chance to touch the truck today I had other issues I had to drive to a nearby county to get a washing machine for my girlfriends mom and had to swap it with hers. When I went to start the truck I have been driving the battery was toast so I ended up having to drive dads dually and it’s just been a hell of a day lol. A 6.5 Detroit and a 5 speed is was different than a 350 and sm465 lol. I couldn’t quite get the hang of 2nd to 3rd. His truck is geared so damn low you start in second and have to shift to third by 20. And his fifth gear pops out if you let off the throttle. Was a very interesting drive to say the least. The way gps took me ended up being under water and I had to go into the city and take a crazy route blah blah. About the ported vs manifold I have no honest exact answer on which is which since they both have benefits in different scenarios. But I don’t understand how full manifold vacuum would have the initial timing right because wouldn’t the vacuum at idle advance timing to say 8° more than the initial timing(no idea how much it actually advances) but I do kinda understand the ported vacuum supposed to come into play when I’m the throttle. Timing is above my pay grade lol I build houses not engines(really wanting to build a slight build 350 sometime though) my steering parts still never came for my 87 they were supposed to arrive Monday it’s now Sunday so not sure where that’s going but tomorrow I’ve got to go look at starting a job of an add on that’s apparently going to take near 1200 blocks. Really hoping I have some time before dark tomorrow to work on the truck. I need to find a utility bed for the truck I have a bed for it but it’s a short bed, I’ve thought about throwing it on there and finding something to fill the gap but no clue I haven’t made enough progress to put that effort in yet.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
theres more than 1 way to skin a cat, I was referencing your truck in saying that constant manifold vacum to the distributor will be wrong, unless like he says you have installed a vacum can locked out at 10° which I highly doubt.

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
the factory did not come out with locked out vac cans , now the the vac cans have diff hg settings for diff applications of engines therefore limiting the timing

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
vacum advance is used when you are driving not idleing, who ever said hook the distributor vacum advance to full time vacum is wrong
NO!!!! vacuum advance is used at low load conditions where a lean mixture and high timing can lead to high efficiency with no detonation. When you are driving at cruise, your vacuum is actually very high, like at idle. When you set it to ported, instead of manifold vacuum, you will only get vacuum advance at high throttle position and low engine vacuum... which is not at all what you want.

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
NO!!!! vacuum advance is used at low load conditions where a lean mixture and high timing can lead to high efficiency with no detonation. When you are driving at cruise, your vacuum is actually very high, like at idle. When you set it to ported, instead of manifold vacuum, you will only get vacuum advance at high throttle position and low engine vacuum... which is not at all what you want.
exactlyyyyyyyyyyyy

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I did attempt to start the truck it fired right off but died after a second or two then cranked real slow so I’ve got the battery on the charger. I’m having a problem with my tbi now idling so low it stalls if idling too long

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
is your batt any good

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
In which truck, the tbi has a new battery and the k10 has a used battery that’s a few years old.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chype1