Edelbrock 1405 carb running rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I just degreased and started cleaning the frame from where previous owners apparently sank it in a swamp or something. The tach worked fine the whole time. I know it has a different cyl amount settings. It is at 8

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Is there any way of making the throttle easier to press? I know it originally had the springs facing backwards connection to the throttle cable bracket but in that position spring geometry was off and the throttle shaft would bind so I ran it forward. I can remove one spring? When driving the truck yesterday there’s a small bit of dead pedal like the throttle cable is stretched(I think someone mentioned it was) and then the pedal is stiff. It’s kinda similar to my 87 where the pedal is stiff and by the time you get it to move you’re floored lol just an exaggeration but maybe you’ll get an idea of what I meant. It’s easier to just kinda blip the throttle and have it shoot to 1500 or so and then let off to where you want to be. This may just me being picky at this point not sure. I only have these two trucks running so I don’t have anything “correct” to compare to. Also the clutch pedal is super hard to press like if you’re sitting there holding it down your knee starts to shake a little. I’ve adjusted the uh I can’t remember what it’s called currently it’s 4:30 I just woke up. But the threaded part to adjust clutch engagement. When I first got truck the clutch engaged at very top. Like literally very top there was no slipping the clutch to take off it was a clutch dump everytime. I adjusted it to about two inches from the floor since the pedal was so hard to press it kinda sucked holding it to the floor. I’m still waiting on grease(shortage ? No idea worlds crazy currently) and I’ll grease the clutch linkages. Is the one piece that I also can’t think of it’s name? Z bar or somethint? The only piece with a grease fitting?

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Also the truck is getting some love lol. Just got a thrush 20” glass pack yesterday and gotta pick up the other one today. Auto stores only stock one muffler at a time apparently. I’m also trying to figure what to do about the leak between the exhaust and manifolds. If I put a couple pics of each side on here could someone chime in on if I need new or if I could just get a new donut.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Is there any way of making the throttle easier to press? I know it originally had the springs facing backwards connection to the throttle cable bracket but in that position spring geometry was off and the throttle shaft would bind so I ran it forward. I can remove one spring? When driving the truck yesterday there’s a small bit of dead pedal like the throttle cable is stretched(I think someone mentioned it was) and then the pedal is stiff. It’s kinda similar to my 87 where the pedal is stiff and by the time you get it to move you’re floored lol just an exaggeration but maybe you’ll get an idea of what I meant. It’s easier to just kinda blip the throttle and have it shoot to 1500 or so and then let off to where you want to be. This may just me being picky at this point not sure. I only have these two trucks running so I don’t have anything “correct” to compare to. Also the clutch pedal is super hard to press like if you’re sitting there holding it down your knee starts to shake a little. I’ve adjusted the uh I can’t remember what it’s called currently it’s 4:30 I just woke up. But the threaded part to adjust clutch engagement. When I first got truck the clutch engaged at very top. Like literally very top there was no slipping the clutch to take off it was a clutch dump everytime. I adjusted it to about two inches from the floor since the pedal was so hard to press it kinda sucked holding it to the floor. I’m still waiting on grease(shortage ? No idea worlds crazy currently) and I’ll grease the clutch linkages. Is the one piece that I also can’t think of it’s name? Z bar or somethint? The only piece with a grease fitting?
Clutch has bushings and the springs may be too strong or your leg needs working out

mine is hard too

Also, the gas pedal. show your Edelbrock as it would look now(post a pic you already taken if you havent touched anything on the side of it since photo)
You must be registered for see images attach

See my cable how it loops like it does? and its offset? thats a 2 barrel bracket. is your bracket for a qjet? My cable would be positioned differently both how far away and how far the other way too.
Also the cable is old, it may be having internal probs, but I havent bothered to find out yet. my springs are clearly really pulling that back, I hsould have moved the spring bracket one bolt on intake forward. its ok tho. Its a little hard to press.

take your cable, detach from edelbrock, then simply pull it and see how hard it is to put your pedal to the floor by tugging it. the pedal shouldnt have that much of a fight , without the springs on intake doing anything. it should also not feel loose like it has dead travel either.

does that all check out?

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
The setup is same as yours in phot, two springs going forward. With it disconnected I can easily pull the cable to the floor. I assume the cable is stretched slightly and that’s the dead pedal part.
see the slight slack in the back where the bare cable is exposed? I assume the travel is just pulling that slack.
Now I admit I have been skipping leg day lol but it’s really hard to press compared to any of the other trucks on the property. I’d expect it to be stuff compared to hydraulic but the other two mechanical clutches aren’t that stiff. It’s a big ass spring too. I can compare it to the springs in the other trucks. I’d say swap it or something but I bet the coil to the spring is every bit of 1/8” diameter. I’ll get a photo later. The throttle bracket is off the q-jet but the bolt holes don’t line up for the back of the edelbrock so there’s only one nut holding it down currently. It has been doing fine with just one. I’ll try to also get pic of that. And as you said the clutch has bushings, could that be what squeaks occasionally when the clutch pedal is pressed? I assumed it was throw out bearing or something along those lines. It doesn’t always do it but if you’re holding the clutch down sometimes you’ll hear a squealing sound

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The setup is same as yours in phot, two springs going forward. With it disconnected I can easily pull the cable to the floor. I assume the cable is stretched slightly and that’s the dead pedal part.
see the slight slack in the back where the bare cable is exposed? I assume the travel is just pulling that slack.
Now I admit I have been skipping leg day lol but it’s really hard to press compared to any of the other trucks on the property. I’d expect it to be stuff compared to hydraulic but the other two mechanical clutches aren’t that stiff. It’s a big ass spring too. I can compare it to the springs in the other trucks. I’d say swap it or something but I bet the coil to the spring is every bit of 1/8” diameter. I’ll get a photo later. The throttle bracket is off the q-jet but the bolt holes don’t line up for the back of the edelbrock so there’s only one nut holding it down currently. It has been doing fine with just one. I’ll try to also get pic of that. And as you said the clutch has bushings, could that be what squeaks occasionally when the clutch pedal is pressed? I assumed it was throw out bearing or something along those lines. It doesn’t always do it but if you’re holding the clutch down sometimes you’ll hear a squealing sound
yes the pedal has a pivot like the brake pedal too

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
also head to auto store today and get a new grommet for your PCV, thats a vac leak

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

You really want to get a bracket like this, using your lift bracket is going to wear your throttle shaft out since its pulling it out and at an angle and not just pivoting the shaft forward. see here, mine looks a little on the long side,I guess I am on the "closest" bolt, but maybe I could turn the little bracket around and use the top slot, it would give it less of an angle more just straight forward and then also move it a bit closer.

Thats on the rack/shelf at the auto stores over by wherre they have the fancy doll-up parts like air cleaners and stuff

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

I dont think you have the right firing order

It doesnt match mine and mine runs really well
and we both have SBCs

I guess just make sure I cant see it well enough

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I found an old photo where my cap matches the order even tho my timing is skewed the sequence matches what numbers I put

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I posted a video on here showing the firing order, it’s correct. The truck fired right up and runs pretty good right now sounds awful with the exhaust but I’m getting rhat finished up today. It might still be running a little rich not sure haven’t checked plugs. But it runs great other than that. It doesn’t burn your eyes to be around or reek of fuel anymore.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I posted a video on here showing the firing order, it’s correct. The truck fired right up and runs pretty good right now sounds awful with the exhaust but I’m getting rhat finished up today. It might still be running a little rich not sure haven’t checked plugs. But it runs great other than that. It doesn’t burn your eyes to be around or reek of fuel anymore.
oh I may have mistaken it for your other vehicle or just missed its good. glad to hear it!

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Alright, I’m by no means an exhaust installer, but I have a leak at the joint between the passenger side manifold and the exhaust piping. The exhaust tube is 2” diameter at the end. What is the gasket/donut size that should be there? It’s not studs and nuts that hold them together there’s bolts going through the exhaust flange and through the manifold and a rectangle threaded piece that I guess clamps down on a gasket or something that should be there?

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Got timing set at what should b10° advanced but when I plugged back in vac advance the truck runs worse, at idle at least. Also since I had the truck running for a while at operating temp the radiator decided to leak so now gotta replace that as well, might as well do rad hoses and thermostat while I’m there because the upper radiator hose feels super soft and it got hot hot to the touch.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
good place to start on tuning your carb is about 1-1/2 turns out,timing will make a big difference as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Offrode