dumping emissions on 1987 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr heavy-chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
fox
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
my truck is a 120,000 original miles 6 cylinder

its tagged as a diesel

so i want to get rid of the catt and the smog pump stuff.

any suggestions to do or mistakes to avoid?

thanks!
:cheers:

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Headers or plugs for the manifolds.
Pull your bulb on the CEL or get the ECM reprogrammed.
Ditch the 6cyl and drop in a v8.
While you're at it ditch the tbi and go carb. It's what I'm doing on my '87.

mr heavy-chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
fox
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
what is the CEL?

well if its THAT complicated ill probably just save my pennies for the 350 & 700R4 swap...
i mean, the smog pump pipe is welded onto cylinder #2... it must have broken before.
ill probably just remove the fan belt for it, and the catt.

but im keeping the throttle body no matter what.
super dependable and decent gas mileage =)
it ran great in my 93 blazer

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
The CEL is the check engine light. You need that if you plan to keep the TBI. If your TBI works well I don' see why you wouldn't keep it. You can remove the belt from the smog pump and as long as the check valve is still in the line to the manifold let it go along for the ride. You can chop out the cat and that pretty much deletes the smog stuff. a little adjustment o the ignition timing and you should have a happier engine.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
what is the CEL?

well if its THAT complicated ill probably just save my pennies for the 350 & 700R4 swap...
i mean, the smog pump pipe is welded onto cylinder #2... it must have broken before.
ill probably just remove the fan belt for it, and the catt.

Check.Engine.Light. When you cut the belt it will throw a code for the A.I.R. Pump not working. No biggie since you know it's cut. I hate lights being on my dash for no reason. So it's easy to pull the bulb out than flash the ECM.

Welded? Wow. Yes save and buy a 350! Well reason I said go carb is depends on what ya want to do with it. TBI heads don't like high lift cams and then you get into chipping the ECM. Tends to add up in $$$ but that's what happens in order to get power.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Check.Engine.Light. When you cut the belt it will throw a code for the A.I.R. Pump not working. No biggie since you know it's cut. I hate lights being on my dash for no reason. So it's easy to pull the bulb out than flash the ECM.

Welded? Wow. Yes save and buy a 350! Well reason I said go carb is depends on what ya want to do with it. TBI heads don't like high lift cams and then you get into chipping the ECM. Tends to add up in $$$ but that's what happens in order to get power.

Not sure on the CEL coming on for the pump being inoperable. Mine didn't and I also unplugged the control valve to it and left the plug sit on the intake.

There are heads and intakes for TBI that will flow much better than stock 350 TBI manifolds when you get to that point.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Correction it won't. Mine came on when I cut mine but I forgot what the code was that popped up. Figured it was because of the pump but must've pulled something else while I was messing around with everything. My bad.

mr heavy-chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
fox
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
yeah my big plan is to find a nice C/K 1500 or 2500 with a good, solid 350 that was simply hit.
then, using everything from the air cleaner to the fan to the oil pan (and especially the serpentine belt & AC) wire up the TBI computer and a 700R4.

then give the finger to GM (government motors) each time i drive by their lot of $40,000 pickup trucks

for right now, i removed the smog pump on the V6.
I left the vacuum actuated on the pipes "headers" alone, plugged the one vacuum control line, and hardwired the electronic actuator so it won't throw a code.
seems to be just fine driving around.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedwhisky