1987 SBC 350 TBI long block build question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cdog_96

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey everyone, got a professional built long block SBC 350 TBI and am putting the pieces together to finish it. I noticed a couple of the main caps are using long studs, what is this for ? Also I purchased a 4 quart oil pan which I believe is stock for the 1987, this is a stock build btw. The studs clear but only if they go into the hole provisions in the oil pan, is this correct ? They hit the oil pan otherwise
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
I know the main caps are in a fixed position so idk if they clear through those wholes it may be fine. I put red grease on the tips of the studs to show where it hits, but this is before they slide in the oil pan holes Any help appreciated, thanks

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Some applications (like marine) use a separate windage tray for their oil pans. For those, it fastens to those studs. Not sure if they will fit with your pan. You will have to check it's clearance with a dry fit.

Cdog_96

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Some applications (like marine) use a separate windage tray for their oil pans. For those, it fastens to those studs. Not sure if they will fit with your pan. You will have to check it's clearance with a dry fit.
So those two holes in the oil pan as pictured do clear those studs slightly, is that what they are for ? I am curious, I don't like how close they are but then again the main caps are in a fixed position so it may not cause an issue. I am just trying to think about all possibilities since new motor

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
If you can dry fit (without gasket) the pan and it contacts the block without stud interference, I would not worry about it. The holes in the pan's windage tray are likely there for that reason. Not all pan designs have them. The trays on those are mounted separately on the studs.

Cdog_96

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you can dry fit (without gasket) the pan and it contacts the block without stud interference, I would not worry about it. The holes in the pan's windage tray are likely there for that reason. Not all pan designs have them. The trays on those are mounted separately on the studs.
Alright that's what I was thinking, I may bore out those holes slightly and clean the oil pan just for reassurance but it does contact block without studs interference without gasket, just close. I do not want to remove them if I can avoid it since it was just built. Once I can get to rotating it I can find out if it touches as well

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31