Dual Fuel Pump Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
1987 chevy fuel injected 350.

I was offered it but it doesn't run cause guy said both fuel pumps went out on it. How hard is to replace the dual fuel pumps this truck? The fuel doors are on opposite side of the truck not like the newer stuff where both fuel doors are on the same side.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think I'd remove the bed, then you should be able to get to the pumps in the tanks very easy. Is he offering you the truck for FREE??? Get it !!!

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I think I'd remove the bed, then you should be able to get to the pumps in the tanks very easy. Is he offering you the truck for FREE??? Get it !!!

No not free. He wants $600 or best offer. I told since it doesnt run most I give is $300. I offered to trade 2 identical riding mowers worth $600 bucks that come with a canope, wheel weights and snow chains. Both mowers are 42in, one is hydro tran and other is stop n go, one is 16.5 kohlor and the other is 17 briggs.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Here's the pics of the square I might be getting. Were still working on deal for it.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Doesnt have current Va inspection on it. So with that being sounds like its been sitting for awhile.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
All depends what you want it for Dave. I notice its 4x4. That in itself, running or not makes it worth something. If its a complete truck, motor, trans, tcase, both axles and driveshafts, then you have something to rebuild and don't have to go scouting for more parts, just rebuild what you got, or replace with used whatever is cheapest. Next, look for the rust at the cab corners, rockers and floor pan. If its minimal to minor and you got something to work with then go for it. If those common places have bad rust, still workable, but makes the price go way down. I'd look the frame over very well too. Surface rust, no big deal. But ifs it got any cancer on the frame at all, I'd punt. Run, Don't Walk. Reason I say that, most people I have heard that say, the frame has a little rust but its repairable, by the time they tear the truck apart and see what they are dealing with, the scrap the frame. Remember ******** Mud at the other forum???
Then look over the wiring under the hood. Make sure its not been butchered up or chewed on by rats, which is common if its sat in a pasture for a long time.
I'd also want to know more about these fuel pumps. Strange they both went at the same time huh??? So does that mean its something else, or is it possible, one went bad, then a few months later the other went bad? Don't suggest that, ask questions, to make him tell you what happened, then if that's what he says, then it makes sense. Try to trip the guy up and catch him in his lies. If he has nothing to hide or lie about, he won't get tripped up. Also, see if the RPO code sticker is still in the glove box. Find out the gear ratio. I'd hope for a 3.73 or 3.42. It could have 3.08 or 2.73 also, which are not favorable. Not that big of a deal if you intend to swap 14b full float and an 8 lug front axle. It looks to be a factory Silverado truck, so if you want those bells and whistles like pw & pl, cruise, tilt etc, the **** might not work, but it can be fixed and work someday.
Its prolly worth $450 or $500. How far out is the tags on the plates? Do you have to catch those up in your starte, or can you get Non Ops for the years it wasn't registered?? Consider all that. Don't buy a cheap truck that will cost you $500 to register.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
All depends what you want it for Dave. I notice its 4x4. That in itself, running or not makes it worth something. If its a complete truck, motor, trans, tcase, both axles and driveshafts, then you have something to rebuild and don't have to go scouting for more parts, just rebuild what you got, or replace with used whatever is cheapest. Next, look for the rust at the cab corners, rockers and floor pan. If its minimal to minor and you got something to work with then go for it. If those common places have bad rust, still workable, but makes the price go way down. I'd look the frame over very well too. Surface rust, no big deal. But ifs it got any cancer on the frame at all, I'd punt. Run, Don't Walk. Reason I say that, most people I have heard that say, the frame has a little rust but its repairable, by the time they tear the truck apart and see what they are dealing with, the scrap the frame. Remember ******** Mud at the other forum???
Then look over the wiring under the hood. Make sure its not been butchered up or chewed on by rats, which is common if its sat in a pasture for a long time.
I'd also want to know more about these fuel pumps. Strange they both went at the same time huh??? So does that mean its something else, or is it possible, one went bad, then a few months later the other went bad? Don't suggest that, ask questions, to make him tell you what happened, then if that's what he says, then it makes sense. Try to trip the guy up and catch him in his lies. If he has nothing to hide or lie about, he won't get tripped up. Also, see if the RPO code sticker is still in the glove box. Find out the gear ratio. I'd hope for a 3.73 or 3.42. It could have 3.08 or 2.73 also, which are not favorable. Not that big of a deal if you intend to swap 14b full float and an 8 lug front axle. It looks to be a factory Silverado truck, so if you want those bells and whistles like pw & pl, cruise, tilt etc, the **** might not work, but it can be fixed and work someday.
Its prolly worth $450 or $500. How far out is the tags on the plates? Do you have to catch those up in your starte, or can you get Non Ops for the years it wasn't registered?? Consider all that. Don't buy a cheap truck that will cost you $500 to register.

Its 2 hours away from me. So waste of trip I go and turn it down. No I dont play catchup on the years it wasnt registered in VA. Gonna cost me $200 in a tow bill to just bring it home. Might hold off and see if something closer pops up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh hell yeah, blow that **** off. Even if it ran, at gas prices today you'd have a fortune tied in just getting the thing not making it worth it. It looks a bit rough in the pics, so in real life, multiply that by 10 and its a pretty rough truck. PUNT !!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06