Dual front shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Knew you wouldent bite,neither would I.

Yeah, I hate in the late 80's even after OD trans were being installed, most 1/2 ton trucks were running wussy wagon 2.73 or 3.08 gears. That is just a shame.
As I explained my intent on my 85K10 that has wussy wagon gears, I think it would be much cheaper to locate good used 3/4 ton axles and swap them in place of the 1/2 ton axles. It would be cheaper than paying for a gear change anyway. Then of course, you'd have to find 8 lug wheels. I have seen 3/4 ton 14b FF and a D44 or 10bolt for as low as $300 for the set, ready to swap and roll. I think its much cheaper in the long run, not to mention stronger axles.

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Yeah I agree with you on the mileage myth.With the 700r4 and 373 your crusing rpm should be about 2500 @ 65-70 mph with pleanty of oomph.Gonna search the bosses sheds for some 373s.I did get 18-19 mpg on a recent trip to vegas recently,but kept on kickin out of tcc and down to 3rd on grades.I think with the lower gear ya wouldent feel it.We shall see...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, you're right. The 2.73 and 3.08 gears are hard on the transmission. #1 the added strain, and as you mention much more downshifting and TCC locking and unlocking. With 3.73 or 4.10 I'd have to agree with you, the motor probably would feel very little of the strain and might unlock the TCC on a grade, but likely not downshift. You get the right set up and modify the 700r4 enough, with boost valves and the right 3-4 Clutch pack with some good holding power in the pack you might not even unlock the TCC.
That is one of the few things Pops and I disagree on 700r4's is the 3-4 clutch packs. He likes to use the Z pack which is like 14 clutches and steels, but they are thinner and one sided, and he also like to leave the added retrun springs in the drum. Part of the 3-4 clutch problem failure is due to heat, fatigue and coning of the clutch disks and steels. It doesn't make sense to me when something is coning, that you use even thinner material. GM came up with these return springs to get the 3-4 clutch to come off faster and not drag THINKING that was the problem in the 3-4 clutch pack.
I like to alot less clutches and a 3-4 kit made by Red Alto that addresses the coning issue. If you can keep them from coning, then all the attributes of the pack will fall into place too. Granted its probably heat that causes the coning which has a domino affect. This is why you use upgraded boost valves and servos with more holding power and snappier shifts to keep things cooler. Once you have the good servos and boost valves, and raised fluid pressures, you don't need the return springs that actually more of a hinderance than good, so I leave them out. If I can find it, there are even some GM TSB's about the spnigs that say to leave the springs out now. But, what the hell... It would make a boring ass conversation if all Trans builders just agreed with each other all the time. Hahaha, and why the hell am I talking about a 700r4 anyway? Aren't we talkiing about gear ratios and lifted suspesion ??? I'm a bad mod setting bad off topic examples.

streetsrfer1022

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L
i need new shocks all the way around my truck and was thinking of making a bracket up front for the dual front shock setup. Is this necesary or would i be wasting my time.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
i need new shocks all the way around my truck and was thinking of making a bracket up front for the dual front shock setup. Is this necesary or would i be wasting my time.

Welcome StreetSrfr. I'd say it pretty much depends on your truck, but it does seem these front SAS like to bounce, so You're likely to see some gain by doing adding a shock. Even more so if yuo have big tires or a lift kit. JMO

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
buy one GOOD shock and be done with it.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What exactly is needed for the dual shocks. Mine has the single shock in the front and would like the dual shock setup. Just for the looks really. Is there an aftermarker setup you can buy? Or something I would have to make?

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What exactly is needed for the dual shocks. Mine has the single shock in the front and would like the dual shock setup. Just for the looks really. Is there an aftermarket setup you can buy? Or something I would have to make?
Looking at LMC's site, looks like the bottom of the shocks share the same mounting location, and the upper ends have separate mounts, note bracket #2 in the pic. I don't know if the frame is pre-drilled for that or not.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=150

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0150.jpg
    0150.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 338

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The holes are already in the frame, but LMC only carries the bracket for one side. It's best to find someone parting a truck with the quad shock option and get them to remove the brackets. Anyone handy with a cutting torch can easily remove them.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
GM 1/2 & 3/4 ton 4wd 1969-1987 Front Dual 75170
http://www.tuffcountry.com/products/multiple-shock-kits.html
GM 1/2 ton 4wd 1973-1987 Rear Dual 75171 Dual Rear shocks.
Here is a full kit.

I'm actually thinking I don't like that kit to well with that adding of the tubing. I like the OEM to the frame brackets better. I can't see the advantage of that kit over the OEM, but I'm sure its better than a single if you don't have a choice to go OEM. I didn't even know GM did dual fronts OEM until I bought my truck. And one other member on here has duals too and it too was a GMC. I talked to a guy that works at an offroad shop and he said he was farily certain, that was only an option of GMC and not on Chevy. I say unlikely true, but maybe he's right. :shrug:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They were an option on the Chevy too, I've seen more than I can count. People always think that GMC's came with more stuff standard or more options were available, but it's just not true (until recent years). The only thing GMC's got extra were lock washers :crazy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod