Double Dingo's 1991 Jeep Cherokee

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Instead of removing my original throttle body to rob the parts from to install the IAC, I decided to buy a used one from dead jeep. I have a feeling the screws that hold on the IAC will be stuck on the original throttle body, because the TPS screws are. Breaks the tool every time I try to remove them. Tiny allen head screws and I assume the aluminum and steel have welded themselves together. Them being fine thread I don't see why locktite would be used. I may apply some anti-seize when I install this stuff on the BBK unit.

With a spare throttle body, I can then swap over what needs to swapped on to the BBK 62mm throttle body without any down time, and then that upgrade will go quicker and be more plug and play.

All of this stuff happening, and I just got the registration renewal in the mail on Friday, and this year requires emissions testing for the registration renewal. This vehicle typically passes with flying colors, but I don't want to jinx it. Last time I bragged about my 81 passing with ease it failed miserably.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@DoubleDingo Some of the pump only type kits I swear it seems like they are a pretty universal pump and I agree sometimes they don't fit the pump module correctly. Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help! I'm happy to look up stuff at work for you such as part numbers. Good luck sir!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
@DoubleDingo Some of the pump only type kits I swear it seems like they are a pretty universal pump and I agree sometimes they don't fit the pump module correctly. Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help! I'm happy to look up stuff at work for you such as part numbers. Good luck sir!
Thank you. The Walbro number says it is an OEM. No way it's an OEM if it won't fit the module/sending unit assembly. The Carter will fit the original if I alter the top mounting bracket. Not doing that. If you have some time, go ahead and look up numbers. 1991 Cherokee Laredo 4.0 4x4 AW4.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok I get a delphi # HP10148 - I know you want to stay away from them, but just putting it in there for reference. Also that is for an assembly / module.

Precision Fuel Pump and Hanger Assembly # A30076 This is a model too. I do not know who makes Precision fuel pumps as they are orielly's house brand, I'm sure they are a reboxed brand name but what brand I have no idea. We have had a heck of a lot better luck with them than Delphi of late.

Precision Fuel Pump only # E16023

That's what I have right quick off hand, if there is a manufacture you'd like me to look for let me know.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a feeling they are made by the same chinesium company. I appreciate you looking up those numbers. Thank you for that.

At the moment, I have two Carter pumps, and a carquest brand pump that I bought last year and forgot I had it. All three of them look identical, and all three look the same as the one that failed. Since I have three that will fit the aftermarket sending unit assembly, I will use up those before buying anything new.

Really wanting the correct Walbro pump (5CA213), though, but I have a feeling Walbro sold out and that pump is forever unavailable. I hope I'm wrong, and they become available.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
There is a picture here: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpn-5ca213
I mean to add to this, I have seen OEM factory dealer parts get genericized overtime so I could definitely see the possibly that the correct fitting Walbro pump may simply no longer exist.

I just asked for details on Precision fuel pump manufacturing and received this back. "Precision fuel pumps are manufactured for precision by Federal Mogul, and are manufactured in a plant in the United States that is TS 16949 certified."

So there is that. I'm not saying you should run out and grab one, but that explains why they've been working well for us at the shop where as Delphi / Denso has moved fuel pump manufacturing overseas and quality has fallen apart.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks @SirRobyn0 , I will look into getting a precision pump to have on hand for when the carters and carquest pumps fail.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Finally got all my parts and pieces for the fuel system upgrades. Need to install the TPS and IAC on the new BBK Throttle Body and install that on the vehicle. That is scheduled for tomorrow. I need to source some solder before I install the 12 port injectors and pigtails.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Installed the new throttle body. Made a huge difference in throttle response and power. Of course it's not 50 more ponies, but it's noticeably better.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Sounds like a good investment. Let us know if you notice economy improvements too please

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
This vehicle has been a huge blessing. It has been incredibly reliable, and only needs preventative maintenance. Bought with 88k on the clock, and now is around 207k. Some electrical gremlins are beginning to appear, but I can't complain.

Just replaced the water pump yesterday, and before that is was 2004-2005, I believe. Brakes are about due to be replaced, and have the parts for that. Another drain and fill on the transmission probably wouldn't hurt, as it has been a few thousand miles since the last drain/fill was performed.

These photos were taken a few weeks ago on our trip to the mountains. Had planned a cool sightseeing adventure with my father in law and sister in law, but had to adjust the plans due to the thick smoke everywhere we went, and all the National Forests being closed.

Near some mining camps and mines...
You must be registered for see images attach

This trip has caused the left rear spring to sag. Not bad, but noticeable when looking from bumper level behind the Jeep. We were on a lot of washboarded roads, one was so bad I couldn't even get the vehicle to slide around the turns, and usually that is not a problem sliding around dirt road curves.

There are mountains in background, trust me, not just those hills. But the smoke was so thick you couldn't even see 14,000 feet high mountains that were only a mile away. It was bad.

Near a trailhead....

This was taken back in June 2016, one of the spots we were planning to go on this recent trip....this is around 11,000 feet in elevation... Fun fact, this was the photo we used on our wedding invitations...
Best vehicle I've ever owned. I've had two that I took to 200K plus and if Jeep ever made a brand new 2000/01 I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sounds like a good investment. Let us know if you notice economy improvements too please
I will. Although, with more power, one wants to press down more on the skinny pedal

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Best vehicle I've ever owned. I've had two that I took to 200K plus and if Jeep ever made a brand new 2000/01 I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
This one is pushing 218k, all original except for the suspension, gear change from 3.55 to 3.73, and the throttle body. Everything else is factory.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Been smelling fuel lately, but no visible leaks when I checked it. On Saturday I cleaned the engine. Disconnected the battery, first sprayed with carb and choke cleaner, then rinsed, and then sprayed simple green all over, and rinsed again. No more smells. Took it for a test drive, and the smell came back. Still no sign of a leak. Checked online and various forums said to replace the gas cap. Done. Still producing the fuel smell.

Last night, I decided to check it with the engine running. Injectors are leak-free, and so is the fuel rail. Hmmm. So, I looked down between the air box and the intake manifold and see a spray coming out and hitting the air box. FOUND THE LEAK!

I need to get it smogged, and I know for a fact if smells of fuel they'll be going over it with a fine-toothed comb, but if it's leaking fuel it's a guaranteed fail. Of course the fuel lines are discontinued, but I found out they make fuel line repair kits. Once it was explained to me, I realized I have seen these things in the Help section. Looks like I'll be fixing the fuel lines on the Jeep.

Do you guys have any advice on installing the fuel line repair kit?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Have a pot of boiled water to soften the hose. It's very difficult to get on otherwise. You can use a heat gun but hot water works best I think

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
di11ard