Double Dingo's 1991 Jeep Cherokee

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Growing up my dad bought a 90 Cherokee and have lots of memories in that thing. These jeeps are great! 91 is a good year. First of the normaler cooling system, no stupid plastic bottle. You can easily retrofit earlier ones by swapping a couple things over. Overall the last of the good stuff. The hoods are heavy Chevy! Lol
Plastic bottle? Mine has a plastic overflow reservoir, is that you're referring to? The cooling system does work really well for a system that runs hot by design. It holds steady at 200 on the gauge even in triple digit heat. Only when idling at traffic lights does it creep above 200 but the electric fan kick on and it stays there, as soon as you start rolling again it goes to 195 and back to 200. With 217k on the clock, the engine idles cold at 60psi and hot at 40psi oil pressure. Yes, the hood is heavy, but the rear hatch is lighter being made from fiberglass.

I was telling my wife last night, I can't complain about this vehicle, it's been in mostly daily service since 1991, and is mostly all original. It's time to give it a lot of TLC to keep it on the road a lot longer.

Just ordered a new throttle body, IAC, TPS, MAP, and 12 hole injectors with pigtails. Ordered a Walbro fuel pump but the order got canceled because they are backordered. The site I ordered from, when I called to ask about the order, they explained why, and also gave me a phone number to a bigger distributor that may have better connections. I forget which member on here buys Walbro, if I recall he gets the free goodies from vendures so he can try them out on his square. I may be wrong on that. I would like ask him if he has a connection to get a Walbro punp for my rig.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Once on ours fuel pump quit on me a couple times on me. I hit the bottom of the tank with a 2x4 and got home.
I didn't think of that trick, but working 1.5 miles from home, I'll just walk it/ruck it home even if it 110 outside. Sweating is good for the soul and the pores...lol...

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Plastic bottle? Mine has a plastic overflow reservoir, is that you're referring to? I belive so. I'll send a picture of a bottle soon
I belive so if it looks like this below.

Last edited:

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
During the years my dad changed thus bottle 3 times and replaced faulty cap 3 or 4 times I remember buying one in reno on a trip. That dodge dealership had a nice flat fender in the showroom. On 3 occasions engine overheated close to home. The ecm would shutdown the engine when overheated and it was downhill so we coasted into the driveway each time lol

Attachments

• 20230816_142148.jpg
    20230816_142148.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 33

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Didn't get a year out of the Delphi fuel pump assembly. Jeep left me stranded yesterday, luckily it was parked in the work parking lot. I assume it's the fuel pump, but it may be the ignition switch, as the fuel pump relay is powered in the PDC by the ignition switch. I'll be tracking down the wiring to see if the relay is getting power. Jumpering the relay and turning the key on doesn't cause the pump to run or prime. After about an hour of trying to figure out the wiring diagrams in the shop manual, I saw how they laid them out, and was able to see how things were wired, but I haven't had the chance to check it. It got towed home at lunch. Fun times
How frustrating. I had a run of bad pumps in my 92' Dakota around 2002 or so. What's worse I'd changed mine because it was extremely noisy and I wanted to avoid failure. Left me on the side of the road twice, died while driving, but times taking a hammer to the tank got it running again. Which reminds me I need to post in my Jeep thread as well. Good luck with the no start issue.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
During the years my dad changed thus bottle 3 times and replaced faulty cap 3 or 4 times I remember buying one in reno on a trip. That dodge dealership had a nice flat fender in the showroom. On 3 occasions engine overheated close to home. The ecm would shutdown the engine when overheated and it was downhill so we coasted into the driveway each time lol
Now that I think of it, the overflow bottle on mine had a plugged hole and I didn't know it. I always had to check the radiator to make sure it was full. Then, I bought a new one and when I pulled the original one out I noticed it looked different on the bottom. Took the air nozzle and it wouldn't allow air to blow through. Well no wonder the radiator wouldn't stay full and sometimes it would get a little hotter than I'd prefer. After installing the new bottle the radiator stays full and it definitely does not overheat anymore.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
How frustrating. I had a run of bad pumps in my 92' Dakota around 2002 or so. What's worse I'd changed mine because it was extremely noisy and I wanted to avoid failure. Left me on the side of the road twice, died while driving, but times taking a hammer to the tank got it running again. Which reminds me I need to post in my Jeep thread as well. Good luck with the no start issue.
I have the original Bosch pump and sender. I think that pump is still good. I was having problems with it dying. Then it would start after a while. When I went to replace the pump, I jumpered the relay and pumped out the 15 gallons that was in the tank. It pumped just fine, granted it wasn't pumping to pressurize the system. That original pump was quiet. The new one has always been loud. I am thinking about installing the original pump back in it until I can get my hands on a Walbro. I guess we need to keep a spare fuel pump and hoses and clamps in our travel kit for when we go on trips.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have the original Bosch pump and sender. I think that pump is still good. I was having problems with it dying. Then it would start after a while. When I went to replace the pump, I jumpered the relay and pumped out the 15 gallons that was in the tank. It pumped just fine, granted it wasn't pumping to pressurize the system. That original pump was quiet. The new one has always been loud. I am thinking about installing the original pump back in it until I can get my hands on a Walbro. I guess we need to keep a spare fuel pump and hoses and clamps in our travel kit for when we go on trips.
I never want to replace an intake pump whilst on a trip. But ya I'm right there with you. I try to carry as much spare stuff and tools as I can. My wife complains about it from time to time, but when we have a problem, she's always says something like "but you have a spare right?" lol.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I never want to replace an intake pump whilst on a trip. But ya I'm right there with you. I try to carry as much spare stuff and tools as I can. My wife complains about it from time to time, but when we have a problem, she's always says something like "but you have a spare right?" lol.
I got pulled away from my previous post.

What I didn't mention is that after I replaced the old Bosch pump with the new Delphi, the Jeep died on the test drive. It was the coil causing it to die. A "new" coil that replaced the original coil, failed. After getting towed home, and talking with the tow truck driver along the way, and he said "It's the coil", I found the original coil and it fired right up. I then replaced it with a high output coil, but kept the original just in case. Since the new fuel pump was already installed, I let it be figuring it would last longer than 10-11 months. I knew better with this chinesium crap nowadays, but I was being optimistic. I got the nickname extreme boy years ago from my cousin because I always had the tools and supplies to get us out of situations. I watched McGyver as a kid and followed that mindset, so I am always prepared.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@DoubleDingo Ya, but it's a flickin' Delphi those are suppose to be a good product at premium price! No I don't think so anymore. The last two or three years we have seen a good number of delphi units fail. We try to get Bosch pumps, but actually have had pretty good luck with the masterpro that orielly's sells. No idea who makes them.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Jeep is still down. Finding a decent fuel pump nowadays is difficult. I found some Walbro pumps on ebay, they have the OEM number from the Walbro page I got my info from, but they are too small. No return, so out some money unless they can be used for something else. I searched around and found some Carter pumps. Figured Carter is a known name brand, ordered two, ended up being made in china. I am stuck, so, I am going to install one of the carter pumps on the original sending unit and install that back in the tank. Then replace the thermostat housing and gasket, as mine leaks when cold, only when cold, though, which is odd. Either way it needs to be replaced. I also got a BBK throttle body for it, along with a new TPS, IAC and MAP. I have ordered 12 hole injectors and the pigtails for them, just waiting for those to come in. I have a few items to get done this weekend to get the Jeep back on the road. Looking forward to the 12 hole injectors, I've heard those improve performance down low and up high in the powerband.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Have you considered a TB spacer? They can help allot with mpg and torque. But I only endorse the airaid brand. There's are more than just a spacer. It actually has course like threads into them helping atomization, they sound cool too lol. I even got one for a 4 barrel from them once and it whilsted a little. Not annoying.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Have you considered a TB spacer? They can help allot with mpg and torque. But I only endorse the airaid brand. There's are more than just a spacer. It actually has course like threads into them helping atomization, they sound cool too lol. I even got one for a 4 barrel from them once and it whilsted a little. Not annoying.
I have considered it. Rocky Road Outfitters carries Airaid brand. I may do that after I get everything else bolted on. I also heard that they whistle because of the vortex they create.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Yeah it sounds cool. Like slerp slerp lol

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Got a later start on Saturday than I wanted to. Got out the original sending unit and fuel pump assembly. Removed the original pump and went to install one of the Carter pumps. No matter what the pump would not sit tight, it could move around, twist, and it would have vibrated badly if installed in the tank that way. The original pump is shaped for the sending unit upped bracket, and sits tight, no vibration, no movement, nothing.

For the fun of it, I went and got the Walbro pumps I bought, they are too small of diameter, but the info on them says they are sufficient in psi. Those don't use the retainer for the sock as the sock is different than the stock one, nor do they use the upper retaining bracket for the pump. It was getting close to dusk and I had a lot of stuff still to do.

Not wanting to modify the original sending unit, I robbed the new hose, gasket and sock from the Carter pump, reinstalled the original pump in the sending unit, hooked up the new hose, and got the new sock to sit snug on the pump.

Took out the bad pump from the tank and reinstalled the original unit, that, up until about this time last year, was in service nearly everyday since 1991. Buttoned everything up, primed the pump a few times until is stopped making a sound when the key was turned on, and cranked the engine. It fired right up. I was smelling fuel, looked under the hood, nothing, looked underneath and saw a puddle. The short piece of 5/16 hose was leaking. Decided to change it.

After that, no leaks. Jeep is running again, and using the old Bosch pump. I will install one of the new pumps in the other sending unit, and have that as a backup for a quick install in the event the Bosch goes bad.

In the meantime I will be keeping an eye out for the correct Walbro pump, and I need to read further up where @SirRobyn0 said which pump brand he has had luck with. I hate to need to keep a supply of fuel pumps, but I guess that is how it is nowadays.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD