Double Dingo's 1991 Jeep Cherokee

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Nah, it was a 3 spd shifter, don't remember the manufacturer. Coulda came from JC Whitney or possibly Gratiot Auto supply in Chicago or Detroit?? I also had a friend with a 57 4 door, 2 tone blue, and now that I think about it there were 2 of them. One was Arnie's in my class the other was Greg, a year older, both stock and straight as a string, also both 283 pg cars. Quite a few tri-fives now that I think about it. Let's go back and get em!!!!!!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Nah, it was a 3 spd shifter, don't remember the manufacturer. Coulda came from JC Whitney or possibly Gratiot Auto supply in Chicago or Detroit?? I also had a friend with a 57 4 door, 2 tone blue, and now that I think about it there were 2 of them. One was Arnie's in my class the other was Greg, a year older, both stock and straight as a string, also both 283 pg cars. Quite a few tri-fives now that I think about it. Let's go back and get em!!!!!!

Let's go!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Replaced the engine mounts with some good units from Brown Dog Offroad, and a transmission mount from my local parts store while I was at it. https://browndogindustries.com/CU2572-0K2-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-Motor-Mounts-Rubber.aspx

Discovered a missing bolt on the transmission mount, the one on the driver's side that bolts into the transmission, so I need to get a new one. I have no metric bolts laying around like I do regular American bolts. Those brown dog engine mounts are beefy, and now I have rattles that didn't exist before. The engine definitely sits higher than it did with the old worn-out factory-style mounts. It sounds like the exhaust is hitting somewhere, as it is a solid rattle/clunk, not something flimsy although the flimsy stuff is now making noise too, and there is more noise and vibration from the engine.

When I replaced the transmission mount, the crossmember was a little off-center and needed to be finagled into position, but the sun was getting low in the sky, and I needed the vehicle today. Since I have to drop the crossmember to add back the bolt to the mount/transmission, I will loosen the engine mounts while I am at it, and try to get things in better alignment. I am hoping these mounts will settle-in with some heat cycles. You can tell the engine doesn't move very much now. When I put it gear it is a positive engagement, whereas, the old worn out mounts had way too much movement. The missing bolt didn't help with the extra movement either. I'm surprised the fan wasn't hitting the shroud with the driver's side engine mount being completely shot, and that missing bolt on the trans-mount.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
This morning I took to investigating the cause of the rattles and clunks. It turned out to be the new transmission mount. It has about 3/8" thinner rubber than the old one I was replacing. That made the transmission and transfer case sit lower, which caused exhaust pipe to sit about 1/8 of an inch from the crossmember. I put in the old mount, and the exhaust pipe now sits about 3/8 to 1/2 an inch from the crossmember. No more rattles and clunks from the exhaust hitting. But these beefier engine mounts sure accentuate any imperfections in the way the engine runs. I think mine is running smoothly for having over 200k on it, but it sure rattles the flimsy stuff like trim and loose windows now. Going down the road I can tell it is more stable with not having the engine moving around as much. But sitting at a traffic light it has a low rumble-vibration that it didn't have before. Once these mounts soften those rattles and vibrations should go away.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
This morning I took to investigating the cause of the rattles and clunks. It turned out to be the new transmission mount. It has about 3/8" thinner rubber than the old one I was replacing. That made the transmission and transfer case sit lower, which caused exhaust pipe to sit about 1/8 of an inch from the crossmember. I put in the old mount, and the exhaust pipe now sits about 3/8 to 1/2 an inch from the crossmember. No more rattles and clunks from the exhaust hitting. But these beefier engine mounts sure accentuate any imperfections in the way the engine runs. I think mine is running smoothly for having over 200k on it, but it sure rattles the flimsy stuff like trim and loose windows now. Going down the road I can tell it is more stable with not having the engine moving around as much. But sitting at a traffic light it has a low rumble-vibration that it didn't have before. Once these mounts soften those rattles and vibrations should go away.
assuming they were not binding and were not being pinched by the smaller t case mount, like, if you had them installed and then changed the rear one on t case without having all 3 properly rest on them then fasten at that point. Ground outs from exhaust will also do this like you said you had before going back old one(is it worn?) a worn mount with two fresh ones is a good recipe for that mount to accentuate an issue because the other two started being more solid and like new but the one on t case is ideally supposed to be that too, to work together. this is more an issue in newer vehicles with complex mounts, but basically in my car, for example, it has 4 mounts and two of them do the most heavy work for the system. one is a torque axis mount that is engine mounted near crank(v6) and the most important trans one is a single one in front of engine bay that prevents rocking back and forth, which is the natually movement of the crankshaft and everything in the engine. the wheels turn from shafts that rotate in that same plane. The other two are more for vibration and torque steer/keeping the drive axles planted because like a diff sometimes, it naturally wants to roll up and put extreme angles deflecting from torque or something sciency sounding.

in your truck, my truck, our trucks. Not so complex thankfully. I would see about another thick mount or at least right away verifying your hangers for exhaust are properly isolated. And then your drivetrain is setting not-binding but also your exhaust isnt either. if you, for example, hang it and you move your engine later then you are loading those mounts and isolators different than what harmony would be like. also does your exhaust pipe extent all way out back or near back but side? if undeer truck that can be why and you also may have something or just things resonating at the frequency of your engine running and its enough to actually cause that. wheel tubs, bed bolts good, cab mounts good? Doors not loose, any headliner? Hows the hood when closed nice and latched no wiggle, etc. shock absorbers good? A v8 should be better usually, thats good, but it can get downright creative hunting force variations. weather seals good?

I would do the first few good checks, and then also maybe do compression and vacuum test on your engine. you sy its tired right? Maybe you got some power balance issue and its crankshaft which is obviously going to eventually wear bad just on its own bearings but usually the things attached to it dont like that well. If you had a noisy valve train maybe check them pushrods on some glass or make sure the spring and securing is all proper, certain vehicles esp when they have like strong valve springs are pretty known for making real audible noises that would prob shake things a bit. Also consider if you have noise and vibration that if they have a direct correlation to crankshaft or engine speed (nvh wizzards help right lol) then make sure the other noise/vibration is not possibly caused byt something that would make its noise or shakes at the same frequency. like someone with a wheel balaance issue that based on drivetrain and tire sizes worked out to be related to valve train I saw as a example in a video from the 90s. Hard to say if that happened lol.

but i believe in you. If you want to test exhaust and maybe spruce it up some if you are into it, a resonator is dirt cheap and can be a cherry bomb at its simplest and you can add that in anyway you need. but the idea would be youre changing the frequency( i think) and if its resonating and causing a lot of other stuff, that will break that cycle if its main one and you would maybe have no issues.

I hated my buick once. the ps return hose and a tire balance issue both made it seem really bad like alignment or something is broken. but the ps hose ground out(Hey hows those?) is especially more perceiveable with a non submerged system, a long, hard line return(Not on squares much) and either high pressure, too much flow, etc. If you have type 2 pump its not submerged most likely but its flow at rpm should be more manageable than P and CB pumps. but if its pressure is super high, that stuff can cause what i suspect a seat feeling or a wheel feeling .

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl This Jeep runs well, always has. It's smooth for having 200k on it. The only thing different is the new mounts, which are way more solid than the OEM style, that allows movement. Since these new mounts are like leaf spring bushings, there is no movement at all, except for any give by the inserts. I am beginning to wonder if I actually got the poly inserts and not the rubber inserts. I ordered the rubber inserts since I am not abusing the vehicle by going off road or towing all the time, and I didn't want the added vibration. I need to post up the pics I took, and you would then see that the new transmission mount has less rubber than the old one, which turned out to not be bad. With less rubber it caused the the exhaust pipe to sit too close to the crossmember, and in the photos it is apparent. Anchor brand is what I got, and visually it looks fine. It might be fine, too, if I had custom exhaust, but this Jeep, except for the Old Man Emu suspension, and 3.73 gear swap, is all stock. I was just replacing the transmission mount because the engine mounts were being replaced. After my post the other day I did order some tune-up parts so it will be getting a tune up soon. That should smooth it out some more, as well as driving it to soften the inserts.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Transferred the photos. See what I mean by the big difference in exhaust pipe clearances and the old vs new mounts.

With the new mount the exhaust pipe had no choice but to bang against the crossmember, whereas, it never had before, never. Not even with the worn out engine mounts, did it hit anywhere from the header to the rear hitch. Reinstalled the old mount and instantly regained the correct amount of clearance so the exhaust pipe didn't hit crossmember.

Attachments

• Clearance With New Anchor Brand Mount.jpg
    Clearance With New Anchor Brand Mount.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Clearance With Old Mount Reinstalled.jpg
    Clearance With Old Mount Reinstalled.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Rubber Thickness Differences Between Old Mount and New.jpg
    Rubber Thickness Differences Between Old Mount and New.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 76

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Do all photo attachment posts need moderator approval now? @HotRodPC @Old77 @bucket @animal

This is the first time I have uploaded photos since the "upgrade", and also the first time I have ever needed moderator approval on any photo upload.

I mean, we all want to see the p0rn, let me post up some p0rn...lol...

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Shouldn’t. That seems really weird. @Shaggy or @HotRodPC will have to take a look

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Approval complete but that’s definitely not set up correctly for a long time forum member. Meant for newbies

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thank you for getting these photos approved.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
No problem, man

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I ordered another new mount through rock auto, and it is actually worse than the Anchor brand shown in the other post. I guess I need to get my butt over to the dealer and order an OEM mount while I still can.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Approval complete but that’s definitely not set up correctly for a long time forum member. Meant for newbies
This wouldn't be the first time that has happened. Several times now I have approved a photo and iirc, it hasn't been newer members.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
This wouldn't be the first time that has happened. Several times now I have approved a photo and iirc, it hasn't been newer members.
by god this could mean only one thing...
technical glitchy/new system hiccups, but pretty smooth as far as it could ever go and prob better than most so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey