Door Speaker Enclosure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I finally got the drivers side made. I tested it visually while driving to make sure my foot wouldn't hit it. I didn't like the position of the kick panel enclosures folks have made/purchased. My foot sits against the fire wall when I'm driving. I still have to put the finishing touches to it. The truck is black so I'm going with paint. I'll probably take the sander to it also. I can't stand those sharp edges by the tweeter. Not bad for $20 (wood and fiberglass resin....t-shirt was free).

This will fit at the bottom where the carpet is currently at. Who knows, maybe finish the rest of the panel with a big door pocket? Would be kind of hard to get to though.

picture.php

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The mount looks great..

I'm curious.. Is there a reason you didn't mount it in the door?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Very nice did you think about angling it upward?

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Subscribed for final installed pics

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I didn't want to cut into the door. I'm not a huge fan of cutting metal. The doors will probably be replaced at some point due to rust at the bottom.

They are angled up about 15-20°. I didn't want to make them stick out too much. I got a feeling this is a prototype. I need to round off the wood around the tweeter. I guess I can install this then just tape some styrofoam to it to make it stick out further and test it for a few days.

If it turns out to be a prototype, no biggie....it didnt take much time to make this.

Thanks Guys

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I mounted it to the carpet panel. The tape was used only to hold it in place while I drilled holes into the back of the enclosure panel.....through the existing 4 holes in the door panel.

When I shut the door I can hear the bottom of it rub the floor. I don't see the enclosure move, so I'll press on and make adjustments to the final product.

I went ahead and drilled holes all the way through the front of it for screws. I'm thinking I'll drill a hole big enough to fit a cheap pen in there, seal it off with resin/epoxy/glue of some sort. Then I'll have a channel that the screw can go into to mount this thing. Then come up with something to cover the holes up for a good looking finish.

I looked down with the door shut and it appears there is room to angle the speakers up more. Again, I'll save that for the final enclosure.

picture.php

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Update: I made one for the passenger side using a rag. It's more like a towel and I thought it would give it some texture. Not a good idea. Where the "knots" in the material stick up, is hard as a rock and could easily scratch or cut you if you ran across it. I'm going to sand it down for a while. If I spend too much time on it, I'll just trash it and make another using a t-shirt.

I just thought about it. I'm going to spray my grandpa's old 22LR rifle metal with plastidip today. Why not try it on this? I'll put up picks when I'm done.

Last edited:

Hoodbj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I'm liking how that looks, a man can never have too any speakers

Cowboy Cadillac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
We use sweatshirt/hoodie material for sub/speaker enclosures, a little thicker than a tshirt and forms a little smoother over corners/edges. Like where your headed with this project though.

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
We use sweatshirt/hoodie material for sub/speaker enclosures, a little thicker than a tshirt and forms a little smoother over corners/edges. Like where your headed with this project though.

I like using grill cloth.. Has a lot of give for odd shaped contours.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
This would be complete if it weren't for the tweeter mounts. They are made of thin plastic and cracked/fell apart when I put them in. So I'll either be using PVC or rubber hose to fill in the gap.....or just fill in the hole and surface mount them.

I think I will switch over to sweatshirt for any future builds. Seems like the first coat would take a lot more resin saving drying time to put the 2nd coat on.

Sorry I haven't spent much time on this but hunting season is coming up and most of my time has been in the woods. I got pulled for elk this year.....SWEET!!

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'd like to do something like this with my truck since I'm a SQ guy, now could you just blend it in to the door and paint it all to match too if you don't have lower door carpet?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I'm contemplating the same thing. The bottom of the door does curve a bit so you'll need to fill in the gaps. Put a full size, hard back, book up to the door as if it was the enclosure and you'll see what I'm talking about. Shouldn't be too hard, use styrofoam and then paint.

Or you could also tape up that whole section of the door. Mount the enclosure then stuff some rags in the gap and slap some resin on it and let dry. Then remove enclosure and dress it up to your liking.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I ended up using 1 1/2" threaded pvc and electrical conduit locknuts to hold it to the box. Looks OK. Last night I found "speaker pods" on ebay for $60. Had I seen those I wouldn't have hassled with these. Live and learn.

Anyway, below is a quick pic I took of them. Notice the finish is different on each. Now I need to figure out where's the best place to drill the hole for the cable between the door and the fender.

picture.php

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I installed them w/o the radio in it. They look nice. I didn't have an issue with them until hunting season. I kicked it a few times with my big winter boots on. Part of the tweeter mount broke and now the tweeter is just hanging there by the wires.

I've been contemplating both the overhead radio mount with speakers and a box in front of the 4x4 lever.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69