6.5" speaker mounting options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I'm in the process of re-doing the sound system in my crew cab and I was wondering where yall mounted 6.5" speakers.

For reference, the truck came with a 4 channel amp and 2 10" powered subs. The amp was connected to 4 6.5" speakers and all of it was mounted behind the rear seat and wasn't done well. It also has a retrosound head unit with 4" dah speakers wired to the head unit outputs. The PO crudely mounted 4 6.5" speakers in the rear cab corners behind the seat but I'm switching to 6x9's because it looks cleaner. That will take up 2 of the amp channels and I want to reuse at least 2 of the 6.5's closer to the front seat. I don't really want to do the kick panel mounts because I'm afraid I'll kick the driver's side speaker to death trying to set my parking brake. I'm tossing around doing door mounts, but I'm not too keen on drilling into my doors and running wires into them either. That route would also push me to dynamat my doors which I can do, I'm just lazy. Could I stuff two 6.5's into the center speaker hole in the dash or build a small speaker box to sit on top of the trans tunnel?

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I installed my 6" speakers in the doors close to the kick panels. It was easy to do but now I am regretting it! I went from crank up windows to power windows and found the motor hangs down to the middle of the speaker hole. Now my only options are to patch the hole or find or make some kind of extensions for the speakers. Not sure about the dash, but I had to cut out some of the metal in the dash to fit tweeters in my 78 dash

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
I mounted my 6 1/2" component set in my kick panels
You must be registered for see images attach

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I mounted my 6 1/2" component set in my kick panels
That's what I did too, I had to get 1" spacers because the speakers were too deep for the kick panel. I spaced my parking brake away from the kick panel by stacking 3/4" worth of washers under the mounting bolt to reduce the chance of kicking the speaker in while setting the brake.

The door speaker holes were already there when I bought the truck.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
If you have power windows and chose to mount them in the doors they need to be at the very front corner of the door or the window assembly will hit the magnet when its lowered.

WesN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
To this day I feel bad about cutting up door panels back in the 70’s and early 80’s. One of the things we did at the speed shop was install stereos and hacked speakers into many fine Camaro’s, Mustang’s, Corvette’s and yes Square’s. Take a big hole saw and spin it backwards to cut through material and cardboard and then spin forward to cut through metal. Sorry to anybody restoring one of the cars that received cut up door panels.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I have no ragerts!
I had @Maxwellvis put these Kicker separates into our doors.
He did a great job of measuring many times before making any cuts into the panels.
They came out great and sound fantastic.
Now to get the rest of the system in the truck.

Well perhaps there is one small ragert.
I would have liked a set of speakers with a better grill to keep more of the daily dirt and sheeit off the speaker itself.

Window crank can be used to cover the tweeter when the window is all the way up if so desired.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
To this day I feel bad about cutting up door panels back in the 70’s and early 80’s. One of the things we did at the speed shop was install stereos and hacked speakers into many fine Camaro’s, Mustang’s, Corvette’s and yes Square’s. Take a big hole saw and spin it backwards to cut through material and cardboard and then spin forward to cut through metal. Sorry to anybody restoring one of the cars that received cut up door panels.

Back when my crew cab was nearly new, someone installed a stereo and put speakers in all 4 door panels. It's no big deal now, all the door panels are pretty baked now and it's no loss. I'm sure most of the stuff you cut holes in is in poor shape now anyways.

My Suburban is the same story. Long long ago, someone hacked (and I do mean HACKED) some 5 1/4" speakers into the front doors. I cleaned up the holes, enlarged them some so they were actually round and then installed a pair of 6.5" component speakers. It sounds great and I have no guilt since I improved upon what someone did in the past.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Been down this path. Waaay down. Lol

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
2- indash 3.5" kiker
2-Fosgate 6x9 in cab corner with Brothers adaptor
1- S/O 8" sub/amp all in one under passenger seat
sound great with retrosound unit! :)

Attachments

• _DSC5323.jpg
    _DSC5323.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 98
  • _DSC5401.jpg
    _DSC5401.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 126
  • _DSC5402.jpg
    _DSC5402.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 99

Dlrbill

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm in the process of re-doing the sound system in my crew cab and I was wondering where yall mounted 6.5" speakers.

For reference, the truck came with a 4 channel amp and 2 10" powered subs. The amp was connected to 4 6.5" speakers and all of it was mounted behind the rear seat and wasn't done well. It also has a retrosound head unit with 4" dah speakers wired to the head unit outputs. The PO crudely mounted 4 6.5" speakers in the rear cab corners behind the seat but I'm switching to 6x9's because it looks cleaner. That will take up 2 of the amp channels and I want to reuse at least 2 of the 6.5's closer to the front seat. I don't really want to do the kick panel mounts because I'm afraid I'll kick the driver's side speaker to death trying to set my parking brake. I'm tossing around doing door mounts, but I'm not too keen on drilling into my doors and running wires into them either. That route would also push me to dynamat my doors which I can do, I'm just lazy. Could I stuff two 6.5's into the center speaker hole in the dash or build a small speaker box to sit on top of the trans tunnel?

JohnC

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I replaced my dash speaker with a stereo speaker, and I’ve got two in the doors. I think cab corners would be better, though. Where can I get adapters?

Dlrbill

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I made some speaker enclosures and mounted them on the doors.

Attachments

• 20220630_193955.jpg
    20220630_193955.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 81
  • 20220509_175855.jpg
    20220509_175855.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20210204_230711.jpg
    20210204_230711.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 79

Shawn Watson

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've gotten sidetracked with engine compartment stuff but here's where I left off on 6.5" speaker locations. Had to bore a damn hole in the body because my Fosgates are over an inch deeper than the kick panels.

Shawn

Attachments

• IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 105

glenwood

Reaction score
First Name
Glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg