Door speaker cover / pod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

42Grand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'll for sure put the 6x9's behind the seat with corner brackets. The factory spot in the middle of the dash would work but I am a bit of an audiophile and I would rather have great sound filling all around me. How does it sound in the dash? I don't want it to sound like it's just coming from one area. I know I'm asking a lot for a truck with horrible audio design and limited options for placement. I also don't want it to be a "typical install". I think i'll keep thinking of options and see what else comes up. Thanks for the idea @bucket

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
The later trucks had the front speakers in the corners of the dashboard. Between the sound reflecting off the windshield and the rear speakers there is a fair amount of balance and separation. At least as much as can be expected in a small glass and metal box.

You are probably more specific about this stuff than I am, but it might be possible to modify the earlier dash maybe by drilling or punching a pattern of holes in the earlier dash like the later ones to get the speakers in the corners without them being conspicuous.

Just speculation of course, I've never done this myself. But it may be something to consider.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think the two speakers in the center sounded fine, but I'm the type that's perfectly happy with less than high-end stuff.

42Grand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
With the work that I do, I spend a ton of time behind the windshield. I love some killer tunes with great sound. I would like for the speakers to be hidden. Reflecting off the windshield would work great but I've got to make sure the guy that recovered my seat can redo my dash. If so, i'll see what he's done in the past and if he can conceal whatever i can mount in the dash. It all depends on what magic he can work.

42Grand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Alright guys. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about my truck. A while back I picked up a pre-owned dash that was recovered. Looks good, not new but in great shape. Since I'm going for a "worn" but not old and run down look, it works great for me. I also got some door panels in the bundle that are in good, used shape.

Anyway, the panels don't have door pockets and I was thinking about speakers again so I kinda had a lightbulb moment...what if I build a cardboard or abs backed pocket insert with a speaker built into it. Essentially it will be a backer board with a fiberglass speaker pod wrapped in vinyl that matches the seat and will use the mounting points that the pocket uses. Thoughts anyone??

In my mind it seems to be a good design, but I'll actually have to get the design on paper and see if I can make it look good.

42Grand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Pics of the interior without door panels.

42Grand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Pics of the interior without door panels.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Anyway, the panels don't have door pockets and I was thinking about speakers again so I kinda had a lightbulb moment...what if I build a cardboard or abs backed pocket insert with a speaker built into it.

I was thinking of doing something similar to my truck. I haven't torn into my door yet, but I was thinking of bolting particle board to the inside of the door under the door panel, so the speaker and door panel have something rigid to mount to. I think the door panel will rattle and you'll have less bass out of the speaker if there's not a solid connection.

Over the years I've run 6x9's in the bottom of the front doors of all my non P/W trucks and a second set in the cab corners. I had an '87 K20 way back in '89 and I had a stereo shop install some 6" rounds in the very front of the bottom of the door. They had said it was the only location due to the P/W mechanism. It also had 6x9's in the cab corners. One issue I never liked is that the speaker grills would get dented or fall out of the mounts.

For my K30 I'm going to put 3.5" 2-ways in the dash corners with low filters, 5 or 6" 2-ways in the area of the door pockets, a set of 3-way 6x9's in the cab corners and a powered 8" sub under the seat. This should fill the cab with plenty of highs and give a little more bass than the 6x9's in the door offered.

Here's a set of lower door panels Old77 made for his Suburban.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A few facts:

Dash speakers in the dash reflecting off the glass is a poor idea. I understand it's better than nothing but, it does nothing good for sound quality. For most folks, it's irrelevant but since your reading these threads I'll assume you want something a little better the stock.

If your speakers are mounted in the lower door or kick panels and you think thier too quite you have a poor system.

Look at most new vehicles. My new Volvo has the $3500 stereo upgrade option (B&W) top of the line sound system with 19 factory speakers. With the exception of the center channel speaker on the dash (facing rearward), everyone if them are mounted in the lower door panels.

I'm currently installing my Focal component system and 12" subwoofer in my 85k20 along with two amps behind the seat.

Here's a photo taken yesterday of the doors I just completely rebuilt. I also lined the entire inner door panels with dynamat and double-sided foil jute insulation. The doors are solid, zero rattle and damped.

You can see the 6.5's virtually dissappear in my doors behind steel speaker grills. They are in boom mat baffles which protect them and enclose them for great mid-base. They don't protrude more than 3/4" and they don't get beat up like cheap plastic ones.

I'll save the 5-1/4" & tweets install along with the amps and custom underseat sub enclosure for another thread.

My point is, don't let your imagination get stuck on traditional thinking and myths. If there's a will, there's a way.

Last edited:

42Grand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've got that exact lower door carpet. I have 6x9 holes cut in the doors from the PO that my carpet is currently covering up. I can always use those holes but regardless I will either cover them with metal or fill them with speakers.

My door speakers in all my vehicles have always been down low and have sounded just fine, with my Bronco being the exception. They were up higher about where the window crank was and that was easier to hear, especially when I upgraded the speakers.

I currently have a pair of Focal 6.5 polyglass coaxials in the doors of my 2010 Silverado. They have always sounded awesome but I needed a little more up top so I replaced the factory tweets in the A pillar (I had them disconnected before) with my Diamond Audio tweets and crossover. It really helps with the imaging and it's easier to hear the vocals when my leg isn't covering up the speaker. I may pull those tweets and use them along with the 5 ¼ mid range in my doors. I've always loved component sets and I think I can conceal those well in a low profile door pod. I will for sure be amplifying them and using a sub or two but haven't decided what bass to use. My main goal was to bring the stage up from my feet and keep it a little closer to my ears. I'm more focused on clarity of sound than extreme loudness, although I do love cranking up the good stuff. Anyway, I would be interested in that build thread since that is basically my plan for the doors. I was debating having a pair of 6x9's behind the seat in the corners but I feel that it will be a waste of money and not very effective. More sound doesn't always mean good sound.

Thanks for the info, it's nice to get other points of view.

Joe T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If I wanted to hide it I would do a center speaker in the factory spot, tweets in the vents maybe?, one component behind perforated carpet at the bottom of the door, and 6x9s behind the seat.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I used to put speakers in the doors and paint the grills with an interior-matched paint. Then use a Q-Tip with acetone and gently clean off the speaker lettering.

You now have the rare "Boston Acoustic" or "MB Quart" factory stereo upgrade. :hat:

I think I'd make those pods overlap the panels up a tad higher.....if painted (perfect) to match the interior color....would look good. IMO.

Fab something along this route.....

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Made my own. Focal speakers.