Door speaker cover / pod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

42Grand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’ve been looking for a way to conceal my future speakers. The current speaker placement is in the typical spot (at the bottom of the door). I hate it, sound is too low and it looks ugly. I really want to dress it up and get rid of the current speaker holes and cover the mess up with the carpet insert below the door panel. All that said, i don’t currently have a location for the speakers and have been racking my brain for options. Then i saw it...Color matched covers that are placed in the map pocket area. Problem solved!...kinda. Problem is, i can’t find them ANYWHERE! Does anyone have a clue what they’re called and where to find them? Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and I’m thinking of doing a plaid insert in the next year or so. It’s awesome looking!
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's an interesting interior. It's made up from several years, but it all works together. The seat pattern is '71-'72, the plaid material is specific to '77-'78 K5, the door panel inserts are '77, but the door speaker pods are '80-only.

I've been looking for those speaker pods for several years now. No luck yet. I had a parts truck with them about 10 years ago, but like a fool, I let them go with the truck.

42Grand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That's an interesting interior. It's made up from several years, but it all works together. The seat pattern is '71-'72, the plaid material is specific to '77-'78 K5, the door panel inserts are '77, but the door speaker pods are '80-only.

I've been looking for those speaker pods for several years now. No luck yet. I had a parts truck with them about 10 years ago, but like a fool, I let them go with the truck.

I did some more digging and found out that it was an 80 only option and, if i'm correct, it's a 4x6 speaker. Nothing special, but at least it's a factory option that looks clean. My map pockets are toast but i'm thinking that I can replace the door panels and install those speaker covers to clean it up. Then i'll need to find or create a custom option to cover the holes left by the pockets. If I can't find those covers, i'll have to get REALLY creative with my speaker placement and ways to cover them. I really want to retain a stock look but we'll see.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I’ve been looking for a way to conceal my future speakers. The current speaker placement is in the typical spot (at the bottom of the door). I hate it, sound is too low and it looks ugly. I really want to dress it up and get rid of the current speaker holes and cover the mess up with the carpet insert below the door panel. All that said, i don’t currently have a location for the speakers and have been racking my brain for options. Then i saw it...Color matched covers that are placed in the map pocket area. Problem solved!...kinda. Problem is, i can’t find them ANYWHERE! Does anyone have a clue what they’re called and where to find them? Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and I’m thinking of doing a plaid insert in the next year or so. It’s awesome looking!
That is one sweet looking interior!!! Sorry no help on the speakers.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I did some more digging and found out that it was an 80 only option and, if i'm correct, it's a 4x6 speaker. Nothing special, but at least it's a factory option that looks clean. My map pockets are toast but i'm thinking that I can replace the door panels and install those speaker covers to clean it up. Then i'll need to find or create a custom option to cover the holes left by the pockets. If I can't find those covers, i'll have to get REALLY creative with my speaker placement and ways to cover them. I really want to retain a stock look but we'll see.

Yep, '80-only and not common at all. I wish someone would reproduce them.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You could just put in whatever speakers you want, and paint the grills to match the door panels.

42Grand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You could just put in whatever speakers you want, and paint the grills to match the door panels.

I would love to do that... I just like them to not look like speakers or be concealed as much as possible

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Magnadyne makes some grills. Here's some samples that could be painted to match.
http://magnadyne.com/

42Grand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Magnadyne makes some grills. Here's some samples that could be painted to match.
http://magnadyne.com/

DUDE! That 6x9 one would work perfectly! I wasn't really planning on going with 6x9's but that might just be easier. I really wanted a 6.5" component set but i'll have to see what other products they sell. I'm sure it's not just those 4 items. Thanks @Craig 85!

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Is there room for 6x9s? I might be wrong. I was under the impression that you could only put speakers that high up in the door if you have crank windows (and maybe you do) and seems like ive only seen people put 6 1/2s in. I would'nt want my speakers down low in the bottom of the doors where they will get kicked either though!

42Grand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is there room for 6x9s? I might be wrong. I was under the impression that you could only put speakers that high up in the door if you have crank windows (and maybe you do) and seems like ive only seen people put 6 1/2s in. I would'nt want my speakers down low in the bottom of the doors where they will get kicked either though!
Ya, I'm only interested in doing either 5" or 6.5" components. I may have to build out a little bit behind it so the speaker will be surface mount or something similar. I haven't even taken the door panels off yet so I have no clue if they're going to fit recessed or not. I do have crank windows so I don't know if it's even going to be an issue for me or not.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I recently put 6.75 components in my lower doors. I already had the speakers and the holes were already in the doors, so it just made sense. They are easy to hear in that location and the stupid, ugly, flimsy plastic grilles are not broke yet. There's not even boot marks on them and I drive it everyday.

Thanks @Craig 85 for that link up there.

42Grand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Alright, so on my long drive back home to Phoenix from Las Vegas, I was thinking about options for the truck to stay awake. I was thinking of options for speakers and came up with a couple options. I really hate the idea of seeing the speakers. I want them high enough so that I can hear them but want it to look stock. I already have 6x9 holes cut in the bottom of the doors so I can go back with 6x9’s easily. I’m going to add the carpet trim at the bottom of the doors to cover up the holes if I don’t end up using that location. I’ll obviously need to fill the holes, but that’s another project for another time. Anyway, here’s my idea’s...

1. Take out the map pockets and either do a shallow mount 5 1/4 component set behind a grille or mount a surface option (same speaker setup) but have it molded into that area. I haven’t given it a ton of thought though.

2. I don’t really care to have the door vents, so since I’m applying FatMat to the entire cab, I’ll cover them and forget about them. When I install the carpet trim I will flip flop the driver’s side for the passenger side which will allow the vent cutouts to be in the same position as the speaker holes. I’ll then cut a hole for the speakers in the carpet trim, install either a 6.5 component set or 6x9 and install a speaker grille that’s more factory looking or similar to what was described above in the previous post. I will paint and color match the grille to the carpet as best as I can in order to blend in.

What do you guys think? Does anything stick out as improbable or crazy? I have obviously thought about the second option way more than the first but that’s probably the easiest thing considering I really want to retain a factory look.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
How about putting 6x9's in a set of cab corner brackets and mounting a pair of 4's up in the dash, in the center opening? Easy and looks factory.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128