Door rebuild - what should I get in preparation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
My driver side power window (87 R10) has decided to chew through something in the last month and has 3 areas where I have to lift the window manually to get it to go up to the next teeth that will catch.

I'm assuming this happening because some old plastic parts in there with a new(er) motor regulator and it's just eating through them. The passenger side window is extremely slow so I'm going to do both doors at once just to be sure. Before I order parts I'm going to pull the door panels to inspect but I was planning to do the following -

1. Order new motor / regulator - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-741-644/reviews?filterReviews=OneStar - for the passenger side door.
2. Inspect the driver side and see what is broken and if there is anything salvagable, but probably not replace the motor since PO mentioned it was new.
3. Order new elbow rests and straps for the doors (both are broken or missing)
4. Triple check the new seals that I put in last year in the door channels to make sure there is no obstructions.

I was wondering if there is anything else that I should try to do while everything is apart like some greasing or replacing any other known wear parts that I can knock out while I'm working on the doors.

I think there was a door detent or something someone had mentioned recently. The driver side lock switch doesn't always engage so I may check the wiring and everything in there as well..

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
following cuz I've got 2 doors and harness to install on a non-electric truck.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Anyone? If there is already a thread with this info let me know, the search feature has been hard to navigate

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Band aid. The openings in the sheet metal are razor sharp.

New switches (even good ones are cheap)
Check the wiring harness and connectors in the doors
Check locks and power lock actuators
Check regulator rollers
Greasing gears of the regulator and the regulator rollers ( don't overdo it with the grease)
Check window channel felts

Check everything you see :)

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
My driver side power window (87 R10) has decided to chew through something in the last month and has 3 areas where I have to lift the window manually to get it to go up to the next teeth that will catch.

I'm assuming this happening because some old plastic parts in there with a new(er) motor regulator and it's just eating through them. The passenger side window is extremely slow so I'm going to do both doors at once just to be sure. Before I order parts I'm going to pull the door panels to inspect but I was planning to do the following -

1. Order new motor / regulator - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-741-644/reviews?filterReviews=OneStar - for the passenger side door.
2. Inspect the driver side and see what is broken and if there is anything salvagable, but probably not replace the motor since PO mentioned it was new.
3. Order new elbow rests and straps for the doors (both are broken or missing)
4. Triple check the new seals that I put in last year in the door channels to make sure there is no obstructions.

I was wondering if there is anything else that I should try to do while everything is apart like some greasing or replacing any other known wear parts that I can knock out while I'm working on the doors.

I think there was a door detent or something someone had mentioned recently. The driver side lock switch doesn't always engage so I may check the wiring and everything in there as well..

i like what i'm hearing. just triple check it all and replace EVERYTHING involved to be safe (and prevent returning to this problem anytime soon). Good luck and have fun, remember, it is a Square Body and not a new Ford!

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@TX87R10,

Obviously replace both window switches. Upon inspection of the "regulator", which is the mechanical arms and gearing that lifts the window is usually not in that bad of shape. Even though it's a '87 you'd be surprised how little wear there is. If all you've had is the noise of gears grinding, it probably is the window motor and possibly the gearing on the part of the regulator attached to the window, maybe not, just take a close look and after you remove the panel and the plastic seal if it hasn't been torn off you'll see.

I've done these motor and regulator replacement and if there is grease still left, leave it because it's usually that soap type grease that lasts forever. And do check the felt around the window opening to see if it needs replacing.

But unless you are doing a complete door rebuild, just fix the problem, and the switches for raising and lowering and if everything else looks okay, leave it alone.
If you are wanting to do a total rebuild then replace everything, rebuild the whole door. But there's no use in making more work for yourself than necessary.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
doing some research on window motors, I have to replace the drivers door window motor. I have it and the regulator out. My question is what supplier/manufacturer is good and which are cheapo. Just wanna do this once, where should I get a replacement motor for reliability. Thanks

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
I replaced both of my window motors a couple weeks ago. I would add brake cleaner to clean things up. I'd also add band-aids. I always chew up my hands trying to work side the door shell.

My question is what supplier/manufacturer is good and which are cheapo. Just wanna do this once, where should I get a replacement motor for reliability
I used AC Delco motors. My truck is a little newer than yours so I'm not sure if they are available for you or not. I bought them from Amazon because of free shipping. Ones I used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey