Door Pocket Repairs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Best truck design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chas
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C2500
Engine Size
Has anybody repaired their elastic in their Door pockets? Mine are original yet the elastic is shot.

It appears that staples hold the elastic in? Is it really that easy to replace the elastic?

Thoughts comments?

You must be registered for see images attach

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Has anybody repaired their elastic in their Door pockets? Mine are original yet the elastic is shot.

It appears that staples hold the elastic in? Is it really that easy to replace the elastic?

Thoughts comments?

Haven't been around a door pocket in a while but basically yeah.
Problem you're going to have is that panel is around 40 yrs old. Wouldn't want to dig those staples out and fire new ones in there.
From the looks of those panels the staples line up really well. I'd cut the old elastic out, leaving the original crimp staples. Then fish the new elastic under them. Tie in a knot. Original mounts with fresh elastic and the panel is whole.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I did the ones on my 76, used elastic strap from the craft store for pants or whatever, fed the new band through with a 90 degree pick careful to not puncture through, instead of stapling it back on I tied the band to itself to preload it, has worked for me for three years of daily driving

runner88

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Cheyenne
Engine Size
I did the same as legopnuematic on my 76 as well. I left the elastic long and tied the 2 ends in a knot. I stapled the corners of the fabric back down to the plastic without any issues.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Haven't been around a door pocket in a while but basically yeah.
Problem you're going to have is that panel is around 40 yrs old. Wouldn't want to dig those staples out and fire new ones in there.
From the looks of those panels the staples line up really well. I'd cut the old elastic out, leaving the original crimp staples. Then fish the new elastic under them. Tie in a knot. Original mounts with fresh elastic and the panel is whole.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm restoring mine as well. I wanted to know where to buy those really small staples. They are almost like a 1/8th size but I cant find them anywhere. Do you think I'd be able to cut some normal sized stapled down to 1/8th and use those?

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm restoring mine as well. I wanted to know where to buy those really small staples. They are almost like a 1/8th size but I cant find them anywhere. Do you think I'd be able to cut some normal sized stapled down to 1/8th and use those?
Those staples are the clinch style. The kind where the points are folded in underneath.
A regular staple would wiggle out eventually.
I have replaced a clinch style staple with a standard staple before but you have to manually bent the ends over to lock it down.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Those staples are the clinch style. The kind where the points are folded in underneath.
A regular staple would wiggle out eventually.
I have replaced a clinch style staple with a standard staple before but you have to manually bent the ends over to lock it down.
When I pulled out the Staples they looked like ones from a staple gun. So your saying they are just like normal Staples from a stapler?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Well the staples may be similar but the clinch stapler bends the ends of the staple around to fasten it. It may have straighten itself out upon removal. A standard staple gun (hammer style) that you would use to fasten a flier to a telephone pole or attach some chicken wire to a fence fires straight while a clinch fires and bear hugs to lock it in.

The clinch staples are popular with HVAC installers to attach insulation. I usually just see them used on heavy duty boxes.

If you plan on using a clinch stapler or any stapler for that matter on a door panel check the depth it is firing them at and make sure they are not going too deep. You don't want them coming out the front when you fire them from the back.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I replaced the elastic with a small diameter bungee, like 1/8 inch. I just fed the bungee through the hole and tied a knot in it. highdesertranger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019