Doing Paintjob At Home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
Are you changing color, you have to decide where to make the break from the old color to the new color. I removed the front fender and doors so they can be painted laying flat, reduced runs, somewhat. I removed door weather strip and made the color break at the welded joint and the weather strip will cover it up. The doors got gutted out, everything out of them, painted both sides with new color. I removed that sloted valence between the hood and windshield and painted under it. I would liked to remove the rain gutters, but they seem to be glued on as well as screwed so they were carefully taped off. With all that I've prolly left something out.

Nick.koehler6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 5.7L
I honestly do not know what stage paint I am going with, Cheaper the better. I plan to keep it black. Seems like a color that dosent really show imperfections. What do you guys think?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Single stage is the easiest for a beginner for sure

Sent from the dust in front of you!

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
White is the most forgiving as far as blemishes

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
if your old paint is stuck down good and not flaking off or peeling no need to remove it all and prime. I usually sand the entire thing with 220 on a da sander, then wetsand by hand with 400, tape it off, blow it off, wipe it down with grease and wax remover, then a tack rag. Then spray it. If you have a garage clean it good, dust lights and anything that could have dust laying on top of it, plastic it off if you can I did, worked great. I've done em outside in the open too.

Spray some bug spray all around before hand if you can.

inside or out.

those instant carports work good too.

use a fan or two to pull paint fumes and overspray out and away from the vehicle I do. I know that can kinda pull stuff onto the vehicle but if done right and careful it can be minimal or none at all. This is a must if you do it enclosed. Like a garage or even instant carport with all sides enclosed.

I usually remove the mirrors, bumpers, grille and all lights, then remove bulbs or at least tape them up.

Also one of the biggest things, once done you can wet sand and buff if you have a buffer. You just need some rubbing compound, and machine polish it's all I use and both by 3m. I usually use super duty rubbing compound and finesse it 3 machine polish, wet sand with 1000 grit or 1200, or do 1k first then 1200. Or even finner depending on how rough it is to start with the rougher paper you need to start with or vice versa.

Nick.koehler6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 5.7L
The paint is pealing BAD! The cab is a shiny black that is pealing. The bed is painted by house paint. Lol. I think thisa is gonna be my winter project. I heard sanding all the old paint off is the biggest pain in the *** Ever. I plan to do a one stage paint job if it is the easiest. Got the bumpers off today. Taking the doors and stuff off sooner than later. I really want it to be black. Due to the fact that I am not a fan of white. Will a pneumatic air gun from sears work? I really don't want to spend 300$ on a paint gun. Where can I get the best Primer and Paint? Thanks so much guys!

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
See my album "Yellow Submarine", just finishing my paint job. putting it back together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising