Doing Paintjob At Home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick.koehler6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Hey everyone, I am getting ready to do my own paint on my 1983 Chevy K10. I know the basics like I have to sand all the old paint off and then prime it. I was wondering if anyone has any USEFUL advice. I realize it is not going to turn out show room perfect. Anything will be better than the paint on it now. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
It's all in your prep work and quality of the spray you lay.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
tape off the glass.

sidewayzz

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have painted several cars/trucks at home. Besides the body work which you know.Make sure the you wipe the body down with a good wax/grease remover. Blow the bodyoff really well, sanding dust and dirt can hide in the oddest of places. You need to have a really clean place to paint. I have hung plastic and made a paint booth. Place a fan that wil pull out the over spray.I always wet the floor before I paint to keep dust dirt down. Take your time spraying. Carry a pair of tweezers to have handy incase you blow a piece of dirt etc into paint. If you have specific questionts just holler at me.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Remove as much of the external trim as possible. IE door handles, side markers etc.
If painting in a garage wet the floor to help control dust.
WEAR ALL PROTECTIVE GEAR, FRESH AIR RESPIRATOR and a full body painter suit.

Prep is the major key to a successful paint job. Sand off old paint and fix any dents and rust. Prime with high build primer, spray a guide coat then block sand. Repeat until the surface is flat.

You doing a base/clear paint job or a single stage paint job? Base/clear job can get expensive but is easier to repair the defects. Single stage is cheaper but harder to repair defects.

Base/clear: Spray enough coats of the base color to (two, thee at the most) obtain full coverage and repair any defects. Then shoot about six coats of clear. Extra coats of clear is so you can wet sand and buff out any orange peel and defects.

single stage: Shoot six coats.

Give the paint job a few weeks to cure then wet sand the paint with the least aggressive grit of sandpaper to remove the orange peel and defects. I would start with 800 wet and work my way to 2500 to 3000 grit wet. Then compound buff and polish.

The number of coats above is only a suggestion and can be less if you don't plan on wet sanding and buffing.

Here is another alternative than using automotive paint. It is considerably cheaper but more time consuming.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM8M0KInsWxuvVp_vXL6StHCqtmgOICH9

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
As for wetting down the floor, do that long before you are ready to paint if your floor isn't perfect and smooth. Wetting down a floor can actually kick up a lot of dirt, so it needs time to settle back down onto the water.

sidewayzz

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
very good info you have been given. Once you have wiped the body down with the cleaner,do not touch it with bare hands. You will leave behind oil from even clean hands just from your skin. This will cause fish eye. FYI

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Remove both bumpers

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
lets make a list here for our buddy nick, feel free to add to it

1.Prep.
2.blow air to get rid of ****
3.tape off windows
4.remove bumpers

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Remove both bumpers

You would be surprised. I bought a pair of front fenders the other day that had a nice paint job on them, went to pick them up and the bottom front corner was black. they just taped the bumper off and painted around it.:chair:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You would be surprised. I bought a pair of front fenders the other day that had a nice paint job on them, went to pick them up and the bottom front corner was black. they just taped the bumper off and painted around it.:chair:

Yep its impossible to get full coverage on the front fenders with the bumper on. Unless you like lots of runs!

Nick.koehler6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Thanks guys. Ill start taking everythibg off. Keep adding. Please. It truly helps!!

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
I washed mine with TSP, then wiped down with Preps-All(degreaser), after sanding, it got wiped down with Metal-Prep(rust killer) rinsed off real good, finally wiped with a tackrag right before primer and paint. If you are using a two part paint you'll need to sand off ALL of the original paint otherwise when the new paint dries and shrinks it will show every sanding mark and edge of old paint. I opted to paint mine with old fashioned oil based enamel. Good luck!
Bob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat