Dizzy is way off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
I'm working out all the weird stuff the po did to my truck and ran across something interesting. I don't know much about distributors but I've done a bunch of research on the net. I have an adjustable timing light and the vac advance is unplugged/capped off. When you set the timing light to 0 and you are standing in front of the truck, it fires over a 10 oclock. I've always seen it fire around 1-2 pm. When I turn the timing light to 60 degrees advance it is around that 1-2pm mark. I have no timing pointer so I'll have to find tdc for #1 and then pull the distributor and set it correctly.

I am safe to assume the distributor was put in wrong? The spark plug wires appear to be installed correctly, #1 is in the dr side front position. I've learning a bit and I guess I could move the wires over one position and that would most likely correct my strange timing position.

Any advice on finding tdc by yourself. I have the valve cover off but it isn't as obvious as I was thinking. This might also be the reason I am having so much trouble getting the idle down. I want that lumpy sound.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Is this a TBI or carb motor?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Should be TBI, unless its been messed with.

Then maybe he forgot to unplug that brown advance wire? I am confused because he mentioned plugging the vac line to the advance? :shrug: :think:

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Sorry, it was originally tbi but was converted back to carb. I will take some pics tomm

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
what do you mean?

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Then engine is a replacement and has a mechanical fuel pump. I'm assuming the distributor was changed as well. I'm home now, let me see if I can take some pics

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Goodness gracious..

You must be registered for see images attach

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Then engine is a replacement and has a mechanical fuel pump. I'm assuming the distributor was changed as well. I'm home now, let me see if I can take some pics

Just re read your first post. Sounds like they put an earlier engine in, if you have a manual pump. pics of the engine and distributor will definately help

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
ok I got this pretty much sorted out. The distributor was put in correctly, I didn't have to remove it. The engine is a 305 from a 84. I pulled the fan and shroud and was able to clean up the front of the engine. There was a ton of gunk all over the timing pointer and I was looking at it from the wrong angle.

I found top dead center by a slightly different method. I turned the engine over and watched when the #1 cylinder valves moved. I marked on the distributor where the intake and exhaust valves started to move and spun the engine until it was right in the middle of those two marks. I checked the timing pointer and it was right on with the timing mark. I had the vac advance capped off and set the timing to 14 degrees.

I think that is a little too advanced but I'm wondering why the truck runs so well when set to 30 degrees. I thought that it would ping and detonate being that far advanced at idle but it runs well. I was playing around and tried it again.

What are you guys setting your trucks at? I plugged in the vac line to the vac advance and it only advances the timing to 18 degrees, maybe 20 when I rev it. I'll have to see if the vac advance is adjustable. It looks old by the surface rust on it, if I have to I'll get another one. Sorry for the long rant but I had a lot of fun today playing around with "Betsy".

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
ok I got this pretty much sorted out. The distributor was put in correctly, I didn't have to remove it. The engine is a 305 from a 84. I pulled the fan and shroud and was able to clean up the front of the engine. There was a ton of gunk all over the timing pointer and I was looking at it from the wrong angle.

I found top dead center by a slightly different method. I turned the engine over and watched when the #1 cylinder valves moved. I marked on the distributor where the intake and exhaust valves started to move and spun the engine until it was right in the middle of those two marks. I checked the timing pointer and it was right on with the timing mark. I had the vac advance capped off and set the timing to 14 degrees.

I think that is a little too advanced but I'm wondering why the truck runs so well when set to 30 degrees. I thought that it would ping and detonate being that far advanced at idle but it runs well. I was playing around and tried it again.

What are you guys setting your trucks at? I plugged in the vac line to the vac advance and it only advances the timing to 18 degrees, maybe 20 when I rev it. I'll have to see if the vac advance is adjustable. It looks old by the surface rust on it, if I have to I'll get another one. Sorry for the long rant but I had a lot of fun today playing around with "Betsy".
6 degrees for an 84
Both valves should be closed and timing pointer on 0 for top dead center.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Both valves should be closed and timing pointer on 0 for top dead center.[/QUOTE]

Yes, thank you. I was convinced that the timing was off but found top dead center and it was right on with the timing mark.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06