1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISC BRAKE COVERSION

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering & Brakes' started by Powerhouse Ranch, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Full Access Member

First Name:
    Shawn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 82 2WD Blazer
    Engine Size:
    454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
    I'm amazed Cali lets you get away with no E-brake.

2. Mr Clean

First Name:
    Shawn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
    I did a rear conversion on mine, the biggest pain in the ass was getting the drums off. I used Caddy Calipers because here in Texas we have to have E-brakes of some sort for street driven vehicles.

20200411_183020.jpg

20200417_212537.jpg

20200417_212544.jpg

Bennyt and Curt like this.
  3. Bennyt

Bennyt Full Access Member

First Name:
    Ben
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    They do and they don't. Your inspection is only for emissions. The state lets law enforcement handle the rest and yes, you can definitely be cited for no parking/ emergency brake by them and I've seen it done when I was a teenager. Used to go the Friday night street races, pre-import era, in SFV and saw multiple times law enforcement would do safety inspections. You had to have the correct seatbelts, no harnesses, tires could not stick out beyond fenders, no slicks, etc.

4. Mr Clean

First Name:
    Shawn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    454 BBC, & 383 Stroker

LOL....I was born and raised in San Diego. I got pulled over one time when I was 17 for not wearing my seat belt. I had a 71 K5 Blazer, and all it had was lap belts. Cop told me I HAD TO CHANGE IT, to the more safe 3 point shoulder belt. I told him No because the Blazer never came that way. We argued back and forth a bit...I got fed up and told him to write the ticket. (He was going to anyways) When he handed me the ticket, I said see you in court...My day comes, and the cop was there. I stated my case, and he stated his....Needless to say I was correct...and the cop was pissed. I got pulled over every day by him for two weeks, "for him to do a inspection". I ended up calling the Judge, and told him I was being singled out, due to the cop loosing that day. Come to find out the State of California had a law, that the CHP can not pull you over just for a inspection. My dad and I went to the CHP office and had a chit chat with that cops Captain. The Captain said he has 9 other complaints against him for the same thing, and a few other things that he couldn't say. We filed a formal complaint...and from what I was told he was fired...More than likely they sent him somewhere else...I never got pulled over again.

bucket, 77 K20 and idahovette like this.
  5. Bennyt

Bennyt Full Access Member

First Name:
    Ben
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:

I don't know if you ever saw it in SD but in SFV the CHP would have check points on Friday/ Saturday nights where instead of checking sobriety, they would put you on a portable dyno and check your emissions set-up. I always thought that was crazy to spend a fortune on manpower and equipment to police a vehicle that is used for probably a few hours a week and maybe 2-5k miles a year.

I've heard that the Cali smog inspections may go away entirely as no need for them anymore. Cars are disposable, going electric, and you can buy a 700hp smog legal car anyways.

6. DrPrepper

DrPrepper Junior Member

First Name:
    Dwight
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Silverado
    Engine Size:
    400ci
    Today , only BAR can do roadside inspections... And you can tell them no thanks ....ask if they will issue a certificate after the inspection....I was told current roadside inspections are checking 4 evap issues