DIN Stero Install with OEM appearance Metra 87-99-3052

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
I'm one of those "certain" people. I'm fixing to hack the **** out my 85 in the next few weeks! I already have the DIN and should have the metra kit tomorrow. Having said that...I have my reasons for going this route.
However, I'm now contemplating using an extra bezel I have from a 90 burb and sparing my original two knob version. It already has the DIN configuration and would look more original. Now I may have to order a different kit as the OEM cutout is larger than my DIN radio. I'm a perfectionist but not necessarily an originalist. BTW, the units blue backlighting should go well with the Dakota Digital VHX cluster.

Well, that makes sense then for that Kit, It would be a good idea IMO for that other bezel.
Some of the early 81-83 ones are getting tough to find. Especially diesel! I only have 2 of them.

That makes us two "perfectionist & originalist" Well on my part. Haha.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I got this kit last night from Crutchfield. Unfortunately, the metal backing plate is plastic, not metal like I'd hoped. Probably still work ok, but I'm going to use it as a template and fab one out of metal. But that's just me.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Nice! I hate it when those certain people cut the dash in order for a headunit to fit
Thats why my 78 still has the old school am/fm knobber radio with the single speaker. I cant bring myself to choppin my dash for that. Id build a custom wooden box for the floor first.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Thats why my 78 still has the old school am/fm knobber radio with the single speaker. I cant bring myself to choppin my dash for that. Id build a custom wooden box for the floor first.
Agreed!! when I got my 82 C20 part truck the guy actually modified the rear speakers and also tapped in a CB Antenna and a Custom little Box for the CB to fit in and lay on the Trans Hump. CB i don't think works anymore but I do have the box.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Agreed!! when I got my 82 C20 part truck the guy actually modified the rear speakers and also tapped in a CB Antenna and a Custom little Box for the CB to fit in and lay on the Trans Hump. CB i don't think works anymore but I do have the box.
My burban had a cb... it was alotta fun!! Lol i wanted to mount a 102" whip on my big ten right in front of the tail light an tie it down to the rain lip lol

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
My burban had a cb... it was alotta fun!! Lol i wanted to mount a 102" whip on my big ten right in front of the tail light an tie it down to the rain lip lol

A Pontiac I'm looking at has one... 1979 Grand LeMans, Landau top, AC, AM/FM + CB, Rallye Rims, Woodgrain, 92k Original miles, Pontiac 301 V8. Cheap for $2300!! I have another one but it's a V6 car with 28K on it (Gloss Black and light blue interior)

You must be registered for see images attach

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
A Pontiac I'm looking at has one... 1979 Grand LeMans, Landau top, AC, AM/FM + CB, Rallye Rims, Woodgrain, 92k Original miles, Pontiac 301 V8. Cheap for $2300!! I have another one but it's a V6 car with 28K on it (Gloss Black and light blue interior)

This car reminds me of Beuford T. Justice... lol wrong color and type but it does lol

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
I first thought it was a pistachio green Because someone mentioned it in my 78-81 LeMans Pontiac group... Found out it's a Willow mist green only offered in 1979 1-Year only color So it's pretty rare that goes Exterioriorr/Interior.

I think I can jew him down to $1800 easily. I totally forgot it was for sale in my area and had been for the last 3 years that I can recall Before that, I was the ONLY one That I know of in my Area with one of these very rare and scarce for parts cars within 100 Miles.

Pretty neat though, Back when Pontiac made good cars!!

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
If all goes well this will be my Daily until summer maybe when I can get a truck.

Still restoring mine... Almost done with the 6.2, Need to get new seals put in my T-Case and Get my Trans Freshened up... Then I'll be looking for Doors & a Clean box. Think I'm gonna find a CUCV Box since the majority of them are all Rust free and mostly Dent-Free.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I first thought it was a pistachio green Because someone mentioned it in my 78-81 LeMans Pontiac group... Found out it's a Willow mist green only offered in 1979 1-Year only color So it's pretty rare that goes Exterioriorr/Interior.

I think I can jew him down to $1800 easily. I totally forgot it was for sale in my area and had been for the last 3 years that I can recall Before that, I was the ONLY one That I know of in my Area with one of these very rare and scarce for parts cars within 100 Miles.

Gotta say.... color combo.. :doublepuke::doublepuke:but rarity factor :happy107:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

That one is a peach!

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you want bluetooth, aux input and USB in a two shaft radio, the Retrosound units like this one work well. https://www.retromanufacturing.com/pages/retrosound-sup-sup-hermosa-radio
I bought one several years ago from an Amazon seller and only paid about $200 for it. Retrosound makes a lot of different model combinations and I think the one I purchased was discounted because the full kit for that specific vehicle was not a big seller. However, all I had to do was get a GM knob set and matched my '75 GMC. The aux input and USB plug are on long wires that you can run down behind the radio and drop the plugs out under the dash. The bluetooth works well to connect to my IPhone, and I ran the microphone wire up along the driver's side door pillar and clipped the microphone to the sun visor

Also be aware that the Retrosound units are made in four pieces that you assemble and adjust to fit your vehicle. The left knob, right knob, digital display and amp/tuner are all separate pieces. If you want it to work and look like a stock radio you just assemble them and plug in the cables to interconnect the pieces. However, if you had a custom vehicle you could surface mount the display in a convenient location and use the cable to connect it to an amp/tuner that was behind or under the dash. You could also remote mount the knobs anywhere you wanted to.

Bruce

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds

I had a 78 Grand Prix, one of the most fun cars I ever had. I paid 75 bucks for it (probably should have talked the guy down!!!) swapped in a 1965 425 Olds and TH350 and drove it for a couple years. With the 2.41 gears, it was slow, but the most consistent car i have ever bracket raced. I could run the entire 1/8 mile in first gear, it was ready to shift just as I crossed the line. If I remember right, it ran low 9s at around 65ish. It really didn’t start to pull until about 40mph. One night, all of my racing buddies took turns hot lapping the car. It was a cold Friday night test and tune, maybe 30 cars that night. I bet we made 50 passes that night. I knew the end was close when I broke a piston (damn junk 50 year old parts!!)it still ran great but smoked like a freight train. I finally junked the car rafter shattering a ring gear trying to rock the car out of a snowdrift. I think I got my 75 bucks back, sold the engine and trans, and moved on to another beater.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
I had a 78 Grand Prix, one of the most fun cars I ever had. I paid 75 bucks for it (probably should have talked the guy down!!!) swapped in a 1965 425 Olds and TH350 and drove it for a couple years. With the 2.41 gears, it was slow, but the most consistent car i have ever bracket raced. I could run the entire 1/8 mile in first gear, it was ready to shift just as I crossed the line. If I remember right, it ran low 9s at around 65ish. It really didn’t start to pull until about 40mph. One night, all of my racing buddies took turns hot lapping the car. It was a cold Friday night test and tune, maybe 30 cars that night. I bet we made 50 passes that night. I knew the end was close when I broke a piston (damn junk 50 year old parts!!)it still ran great but smoked like a freight train. I finally junked the car rafter shattering a ring gear trying to rock the car out of a snowdrift. I think I got my 75 bucks back, sold the engine and trans, and moved on to another beater.

Dang man nice! Really neat story as well! Sadly I didn't get the car. :(
But there's more & more coming out of hiding for sale.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBeast1990