DIN Stero Install with OEM appearance Metra 87-99-3052

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just literaly tripped over this info and wanted to keep it in mind and let everyone else know about it. I've put the part # in the title for search purposes also.

I know some of us want phone or mp3 jacks and some of us also want bluetooth stereos so as much as I don't want to cut a dash, I would if I could get a nice OEM look to have the newer technology. I'll be keeping this info handy.

Metra makes this aftermarket kit. Part # 87-99-3052. I have found it on ebay and Amazon for $17-$20 delivered to your door.

It comes with the backing metal for support and a good template to cut your dash. Then it also comes with the black plastic cover to use on your bezel to give it a clean OEM look and not look like hell like so many I've seen.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I haven't watched the video, but here's a guy who did it using this kit.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hotrod thanks for posting this! It's exactly what I need. I just bought a Pioneer Din unit last week and was going to use an extra bezel I pulled out of a 90 burb. Yesterday, I realized the square hole in that bezel is about 2 inches taller than the unit. So I was scratching my head on how to make a filler panel to adapt it or just use my original 85 and cut it. This kit you posted is the cure.
Thanks!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I figured someone would be using it. I hate having to cut a dash and prefer to keep it OEM, but it is what it is. If we want modern features like Aux Jack and Bluetoohh we pretty much don't have a choice unless we install in a different location which is going to look ghetto.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
If you order from crutchfield it may come with that. Worth calling and asking about it.

Reactions: WFO

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you order from crutchfield it may come with that. Worth calling and asking about it.
Yeah, I was ordering a new Alpine from Crutchfield for my 03, but ordered the same stereo for my 86 instead, because it came with that kit for free.
Now I've got that kit to use later, when I get a new stereo for the 86.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
is there something terrible about this? has usb, aux, BT, etc.

no dash cutting and modern features. seems to check all the boxes.

https://www.brotherstrucks.com/HIGH-END-STEREO-300-WATTS-BLUETOOTH/productinfo/CS07400/73-87/

Looks like the Classic Autosound unit. That's what my next new radio purchase will be. I've had trucks with the opening cut and I don't like it, it's sloppy and not done to my standards. I cut one myself and the fit is good, but it reminds me of the hack installs. I'll never do it again unless it's just to get some cheap tunes in a beater truck that has no real value.

ajordan282

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
not to threadjack butttt......

my dash is cut for a single DIN by PO. I am putting a post style retrosound back in. Anyone have experience repairing the cut dash without welding? I've got some ideas...just wondering if anyone has suggestions

tried searching but I never have much luck with that :(

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
not to threadjack butttt......

my dash is cut for a single DIN by PO. I am putting a post style retrosound back in. Anyone have experience repairing the cut dash without welding? I've got some ideas...just wondering if anyone has suggestions

tried searching but I never have much luck with that :(

If you have a section of good dash cut from another truck, you can screw that to your dash, using the donor piece as a backer.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Nice! I hate it when those certain people cut the dash in order for a headunit to fit

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a Classic Auto radio and I love it.

ajordan282

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you have a section of good dash cut from another truck, you can screw that to your dash, using the donor piece as a backer.

yeah i saw a thread on that somewhere. unfortunately i dont have a donor...so I'll probably be making something out of sheetmetal...

....unless i cut my dads 88 k30 dump.......;)

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice! I hate it when those certain people cut the dash in order for a headunit to fit

I'm one of those "certain" people. I'm fixing to hack the **** out my 85 in the next few weeks! I already have the DIN and should have the metra kit tomorrow. Having said that...I have my reasons for going this route.
However, I'm now contemplating using an extra bezel I have from a 90 burb and sparing my original two knob version. It already has the DIN configuration and would look more original. Now I may have to order a different kit as the OEM cutout is larger than my DIN radio. I'm a perfectionist but not necessarily an originalist. BTW, the units blue backlighting should go well with the Dakota Digital VHX cluster.