Different tires or LSD in front or back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
So I'm gonna pose the question as one of the other. Would I, snow plowing being the biggest need application, benefit from some new tires on a single axle(rear I'm guessing??) Or from putting LSD of a locker setup in the front or rear. I say that because it can be had for about the same price.

I don't wanna do both. I'm not gonna lie, plowing wasn't too bad after having working 4wd and tires that weren't 30 years old and stiff and bald. But I felt if I just had a little bit more the few times I got stuck from traction rather than learning curve adjustments would be avoided or easily recovered. I don't plan on plowing more than what I have already but I know it would make more sense to do posi than, say, put new tires of the same kind. Bfg ko2. But I want to put skinny snow tires on a single axle because I have 2 extra rims that aren't split rims and I could put these back on for summer float so I don't sink every where wet. But the tires are 1/3 tread at worst with 0/3 meaning time to replace because it's about to be wear bar or time or legal, not bald. So I have meat left to them. And they aren't terribly old. And since I don't drive the road, I don't think putting new tires on the same size is gonna change my experience too much. But snow tires are Marvel's, and skinny ones would be better.

If tires, which axle? What sizes in radials work well with squares?

If locker, which kind of setup? LSD?
Which axle? I almost never use 2wd at the moment, and I mostlg get stuck in nose down scenarios. But that's a lot of factory's there

I do try to avoid sharp 4wd turns and disengage if I got flat ground or good bite to make it in 2wd. Definitely doesn't slip much with current tires if I don't gun it, that's where I mostly lost traction. But my drivetrain had bad mounts and torque application we found, so I will fix that.

4lo was almost never necessary, and I once used granny gear with 4lo and pushed a pile of decent size with no throttle and it lost traction a bit but found dirt to recatch, if any of you plow and can picture my scenario.

Np208, 350, is gonna run better and have more applied torque this year vs losses

14 rear, full float. 4.10 gears
D44 4.10 front. Will have new u joints on worn components.

Advice welcome! It's a matter of what I could accomplish for similar money, what would make sense for given applications. Don't consider summer use for recommending, because it's all down the road anyway :)

I like 255/85 16's on my 3/4, 1 ton plow trucks. BFG Mud Terrains.
Narrow gets more lbs per sq. in. for traction on ice covered snow traction surfaces.
No lift or body modifications required.
You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I like 255/85 16's on my 3/4, 1 ton plow trucks. BFG Mud Terrains.
Narrow gets more lbs per sq. in. for traction on ice covered snow traction surfaces.
No lift or body modifications required.
You must be registered for see images attach
Ahh thats a nice skinny tire. Not enough appreciation for them. You would say the skinnier track helps you that much more? Im inclined to believe you, its a known fact.

Infact, I would get a skinnier profile tire for my car if it wasnt for the fact I cant get one in a size that is produced to keep the overall height. 225/60/16 is hard to get skinnier without sacrificing height or wheel size ;(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406